PDA

View Full Version : WoW

Bella
10-21-2006, 04:30 AM
a few of my friends are deeply ensconced in WoW. i am a genuine n00b; i have no idea what it's about. it all looks terribly complicated. however, i have decided to become a lemming and get involved, mostly to shut everyone up (ie "when are you going to make a warcraft character?" and "when are you going to start playing warcraft with us?").

so, i'm not planning on becoming so invested that i spend hours crafting the best character or anything like that. but if i am going to play, i figure i might as well make a half-assed attempt.

so...

anyone have any tips? know of any decent FAQs where i can learn about how to play before i actually get my paws on the keyboard?

Dingfod
10-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Any tips? Yeah. Run away. Now. As fast as you can.

I've heard it's addicting and totally time-wasting.

Nightson
10-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Starting with the basics, there are two main factions in the game, the Alliance (which consists primarily of annoying 12 year olds), and the Horde (which has an average age at least 5 years higher). I assume that you'll be wanting to play with your friends at least some of the time, so if they're all Alliance then you should join them. But if they're not, play Horde.

Then you'll get to choose your race and your class. All of which is based on what you want to do in the game, I can give you a basic run down of the classes and races if you like.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml on the sidebar on the left, under Game Guide, is Introduction and Getting Started, both good things to look at.

Crotalus
10-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Just create an account and start playing. You'll learn as you go, especially with friends to help you.

Crotalus
10-21-2006, 05:33 AM
Starting with the basics, there are two main factions in the game, the Alliance (which consists primarily of annoying 12 year olds), and the Horde (which has an average age at least 5 years higher). I assume that you'll be wanting to play with your friends at least some of the time, so if they're all Alliance then you should join them. But if they're not, play Horde.
Good advice! For the Horde!

I've actually leveled a 60 on both the Horde and Alliance side, so speaking from experience I would definitely agree with Nightson that the Horde is the way to go.

Nightson
10-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Good advice! For the Horde!

I've actually leveled a 60 on both the Horde and Alliance side, so speaking from experience I would definitely agree with Nightson that the Horde is the way to go.

Plus she'll be on the winning side for Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin.

(Talking about all this makes me feel like such a dork)

Crotalus
10-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Any tips? Yeah. Run away. Now. As fast as you can.

I've heard it's addicting and totally time-wasting.
That's also good advice. It is VERY addictive. However, if you can play it moderately, it can be a good stress reliever and a fun thing to do when you are bored every now and then. There's only one way to find out...

But yeah, if you have an addictive personality you should probably back away slowly.

Crotalus
10-21-2006, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=Crotalus]
Me, too. But who cares? As much as I hate to admit it, Warcraft is really fun. What server are you on?

seebs
10-21-2006, 05:43 AM
It's pretty fun. I do tend towards an addictive personality, but I've gotten the hang of backing off now.

It is a very well-structured game, for the most part.

The main thing you need to know, that no one will think to tell you, is that you should get in the habit of using the auction house to sell things, and you will virtually never, under any circumstances, have a good reason to buy any weapons or armor from a vendor, at any point in the game.

Pick up fishing.

Crotalus
10-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Fishing? My god, I thought that was the most worthless thing ever when I had it. It's sooooooo boring.

seebs
10-21-2006, 05:53 AM
(FWIW, mostly Kirin Tor for me, but I have a couple of well-hidden toons on Sentinels.)

BTW: If you want to talk to people who can spell, play on an RP server. You will still see idiots, but fewer of them.

Nightson
10-21-2006, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=Crotalus]
Me, too. But who cares? As much as I hate to admit it, Warcraft is really fun. What server are you on?

It is, I just ran sm cath for the first time today and me and my group had an absolute blast, it was a druid (me), a mage, a shaman, and two hunters. Me and the shaman made the absolute most of our versatility, switching to tanking, nuking, or healing whenevr required with some kitty form thrown in for DPS. I managed to score the Hand of Righteousness off of Whitemane too. Later on tonight I'm going to see if anybody wants to run through the Library.

I'm on Duskwood.

seebs
10-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Fishing? My god, I thought that was the most worthless thing ever when I had it. It's sooooooo boring.

It can be an excellent money maker, and if you're playing a cat, bear, or boar hunter, it can save you oodles of money too.

Also, if you find the secret /script magic to bind a keypress to right-click, and you have fishing over about 150, you can go to Booty Bay, stand under the tavern, and simultaneously fish, read a book, and accumulate rest bonus.

Nightson
10-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Everyone should have fishing, cooking, and first aid.

As for making money, selling things at the AH (Auction House), and having at least one gathering profession (skinning or herbalism are the best), are really all you need to make decent cash.

seebs
10-21-2006, 06:23 AM
The best way to make cash is a bank alt with auctioneer.

Farming for hours at L60: A couple hundred gold.
Playing the AH for hours at L1: At least a thousand gold.