PDA

View Full Version : Hey, deffinetly new.

Chasing Perfection
03-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Hey, I have stumbled upon this forum, I forget how, and I don't know why, but for one reason or another, I am here. We will see where this leads me.

A little about me:

Well, I am young, motivated, slightly confused, but willing.

From time to time, I like to dedicate some of my free time conversing in forums, although my grammar is not that great, nor my punctuation, it's a continuous work in progress..

My web browser has a built in spell check, so that will eliminate most spelling errors.

Anyway, I really hope some of you enjoy, the ideas I have come to share, from my own personal experiences!

(and yes that exclamation point was thrown in to make a boring introduction, appear as if it had some energy so heres another ! are you feeling it yet?)

Leesifer
03-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Welcome to :ff:. :ciao:

Shelli
03-24-2007, 01:41 PM
:welcome4:

viscousmemories
03-24-2007, 02:51 PM
:welcome: to the FF, CP.

livius drusus
03-24-2007, 03:15 PM
We have a forum spellchecker too. Just click http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/images/editor/spelling.gif after you've written your post. :)

Welcome to FF, Chasing Perfection. :welcome1:

godfry n. glad
03-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey, Chasing...welcome aboard.

If I might ask, is English not your native language? If not, I'd be interested to know what your hearth language is, if you're willing to share.

chick
03-24-2007, 05:49 PM
:hisign:

You seem creative and inventive. Enjoy :ff:!

Javaman
03-24-2007, 05:52 PM
FYI, it's too bad spell-checkers don't seem to check the "Title:" part of forums! I've had that bite me in the buttocks more than once. Neither the forum nor Firefox does. :oyvey:

Welcome, CP!

yguy
03-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I am youngAs in under 18?

Chasing Perfection
03-24-2007, 06:45 PM

If I might ask, is English not your native language? If not, I'd be interested to know what your hearth language is, if you're willing to share.

Nope, English is my first and only language, but why do ask?

I am youngAs in under 18?

Nope 18 and older here my friend.

and thanks guys!

godfry n. glad
03-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Nope, English is my first and only language, but why do ask?!

Your concern about spelling, along with idiosyncratic placement of commas.

It's a typical approach of an ESL student.

Javaman
03-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Or a Brit! (Don't tell my wife I wrote that)

godfry n. glad
03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, to be honest, I'm far too liberal with the commas, myself. As I've been told by multiple university professors. I'm a distinctly parenthetical thinker, so much of my writing style (or such of it that there is) is fairly demonstrative of my writing ability (and that particular idiosyncracy, of course). I've been told it's pedantic, as well.

Meh...

Oh...and

Pore spelers of the wurld untie!

godfry n. glad
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Quick question, here:

Of those of us who consider ourselves poor spellers, and dependent thereby upon spellcheckers, are you engineers or technical specialty types?

Just curious, as my brother was a civil engineer and my current girlfriend is a mechanical engineer, both with advanced professional degrees and licensure, yet neither could spell their way out of a fifth grade spelling bee. (Not that I'm a particularly stellar speller, myself, but I do okay in a world of humanist friends, and practically shine in the world of my friends of scientific bent..)

Crumb
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
:welcome3: Chasing Perfection! :happydance:

* Crumb is a bad speller.

Chasing Perfection
03-25-2007, 02:21 AM
After reading your posts I have come to a new realization, that my vocabulary really isn't up to the standards of this forum.

Obviously, reading the dictionary from start to finish is not a very efficient way to increase my vocab skills, so any suggestions?

chick
03-25-2007, 03:05 AM
This is what I do:

1) Use the Firefox browser, it has spell-check (doesn't work in thread titles, though). www.getfirefox.com

2) Use the plug-in (add-on) search window, with the dictionary.com search feature.

3) If not 100% sure about the spelling of a word, check it (in a new tab) before posting.

4) Pretend to be a smarty-pants, when really, I just searched 10 words before posting.

5) Profit!

Dingfod
03-25-2007, 03:05 AM
:yeahthat:

Joshua Adams
03-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Welcome, Chasing Perfection.

This is what I do:

1) Use the Firefox browser, it has spell-check (doesn't work in thread titles, though). www.getfirefox.com

2) Use the plug-in (add-on) search window, with the dictionary.com search feature.

3) If not 100% sure about the spelling of a word, check it (in a new tab) before posting.

4) Pretend to be a smarty-pants, when really, I just searched 10 words before posting.

5) Profit!But where was the "????" step? You can't profit without that, I'd think.

godfry n. glad
03-25-2007, 06:51 AM
After reading your posts I have come to a new realization, that my vocabulary really isn't up to the standards of this forum.

Obviously, reading the dictionary from start to finish is not a very efficient way to increase my vocab skills, so any suggestions?

The best way to build your vocabulary is to converse with and read the works (be they posts, journals, articles, graphic novels, short stories, novels or non-fiction) of other writers. Look up words you don't understand. Ask. Find a writer's style that you enjoy reading. Try emulating the style. Try using them yourself.

Do that, I suspect that you will find words that amuse you. That make you smile when you say them. Or, are just pleasing to say. Boards like this are an excellent place to play with your "voice" in writing. You're not required to do a whole lot except make yourself reasonably clear to enough people for them to engage with you. You've already done that and the board you happened to stumble in to is very forgiving and can be very supportive, as long as you don't belittle or berate the smilies. If somebody asks you how you feel about smilies, smile and tell 'em, "Some my best friends are smilies!" Make it as earnest as possible, or they'll turn on you.

Chasing Perfection
03-25-2007, 09:27 AM
The best way to build your vocabulary is to converse with and read the works (be they posts, journals, articles, graphic novels, short stories, novels or non-fiction) of other writers. Look up words you don't understand. Ask. Find a writer's style that you enjoy reading. Try emulating the style. Try using them yourself.

Want to know what I love? This kind of clear-cut answer. Thank you.

It was like magic almost, I had a question, and the perfect answer arrived, just for me.. :chin:

Javaman
03-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I was going to say, "Read stuff." Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't, though. I've always been fond of saying that reading is like lifting weights for the brain whether it be Danielle Steele or Proust. That said, two of the people closest to me, my wife and my father, read all the time and their grammar is atrocious when it comes to writing for themselves. I can't explain it.

My father is the most extreme example I know of -- ever! He has worked in a factory his whole life and does almost nothing but read when he's home. Our house was always filled with books growing up and it's gotten worse (better?) over the years. When I visit, I see stacks of books everywhere. It is by knowing my father that I realize it's best to not judge someone's mental ability by the way they write. I slip occasionally. Both my wife and my father are among the smartest and most knowledgeable people I know.

pescifish
03-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Welcome to :ff: Chasing Perfection! There are quite a few stellar individuals on this board, so if you are looking for some perfection to chase around, this is a good place! :marsh:

For godfry:
Quick question, here:

Of those of us who consider ourselves poor spellers, and dependent thereby upon spellcheckers, are you engineers or technical specialty types?

Just curious, as my brother was a civil engineer and my current girlfriend is a mechanical engineer, both with advanced professional degrees and licensure, yet neither could spell their way out of a fifth grade spelling bee. (Not that I'm a particularly stellar speller, myself, but I do okay in a world of humanist friends, and practically shine in the world of my friends of scientific bent..)I'm an engineer and never use a spellchecker, not even on professional documents, let alone online social postings. You can judge for yourself and my past postings over the years as to my spelling skills.

Dingfod
03-26-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm uneducated beyond high school [which I scarcely remember] and am barely even paper trained, but I can spell. It's a Jedi mind trick.

Kyuss Apollo
03-26-2007, 01:20 AM
These aren't the droids we're looking for...Move along now. Move along. *ahem!*

Where was I? Oh yeah!

Welcome aboard, CP!

Watser?
03-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Welcome Chasing Perfection :tiphat:

Stormlight
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Welcome CP! :welcomef: