PDA

View Full Version : Resolutions for the New Year?

Bella
01-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Anyone? Anyone?

wei yau
01-04-2005, 06:28 PM
The usual ones, at first:

- lose weight
- eat healthy
- save money

I can't think beyond those because those are pretty heavy things for me to achieve. I've been setting them as resolutions for years now, I'm bound to get it right eventually.

Shake
01-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Nope. Never do them.

Ensign Steve
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Organize, organize, organize!

I also plan to quit smoking. Not because it's the new year, but because yesterday I got my worst time ever on the 1.5 mile and I felt like shit.

viscousmemories
01-12-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't need an excuse to resolve to do things I won't actually do.

seebs
01-13-2005, 03:24 AM
I don't do new years resolutions as such.

However, I have decided that I am going to attempt to eat when I am hungry (and not when I'm not) and sleep when I am tired (and not when I'm not) for a month. I doubt I can pull it off.

livius drusus
01-13-2005, 03:29 AM
Very Zen, seebs. It's amazing just how hard that is to accomplish. Best of luck to you. :peace1:

seebs
01-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Very Zen, seebs. It's amazing just how hard that is to accomplish. Best of luck to you. :peace1:

It is indeed Zen. I was just realizing how incredibly hard it is to do that. I ate dinner after I thought of it (I didn't feel too bad about waiting until I got home from church to eat). So, I ate dinner. About an hour later, still sorta full, I was thinking about snacks. Bad! Bad seebs! No cookie! :)

Brimshack
01-13-2005, 03:55 AM
When I was 14 I decided that I was breaking way too many of the promises and oaths I was making for myself, and that my previous resolutions had been an exercise in futility and fickle..., fick..., ....ficklositudinality :yup: . It seems to me that the ease with which I broke such promises was in direct proportio to the ease with which I made them. To teach myself a lesson I decided to deny myself the gesture of making the promises to begin with, thus putting the emphasis on delivery. I made a New Year's resolution that year that I wouldn't make any unnecessary promises or resolutions for that entire year. I've generally renewed that resolution every year since that time, and I done it this year too.

livius drusus
01-13-2005, 04:09 AM
It is indeed Zen. I was just realizing how incredibly hard it is to do that. I ate dinner after I thought of it (I didn't feel too bad about waiting until I got home from church to eat). So, I ate dinner. About an hour later, still sorta full, I was thinking about snacks. Bad! Bad seebs! No cookie! :)

Now see if you go to bed when you get sleepy. That's even harder for me than eating when I'm hungry. My non-work waking hours are so precious to me I can't seem to help but stretch bedtime way past the tired point.

Bella
01-13-2005, 04:15 AM
I've resolved not to say the word FUCK. I haven't decided if I want to refrain from TYPING it as well as SAYING it. So far I've said it five times since the New Year began. I have decided not to count the times when I'm quoting someone.

After a month, I'm going to cut down on SHIT. But so far, the f-bomb is hard enough.

seebs
01-13-2005, 04:22 AM
Now see if you go to bed when you get sleepy. That's even harder for me than eating when I'm hungry. My non-work waking hours are so precious to me I can't seem to help but stretch bedtime way past the tired point.

Actually, that's not so hard; I've got a pretty good sense for "when I should sleep". I nap easily enough. I'm not as good about getting up, but I'm already mostly schedule-free.

wildernesse
01-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Here are mine from an earlier thread:
I love making resolutions, and it doesn't bother me at all that most of the time they don't work out. I have fun while they do! So, my resolutions are to: be more active, try more new things, eat dinner at the table instead of on the couch, write my friends and family regularly, keep up with my journal, go to Sunday "school", volunteer, socialize with new people, and be more disciplined and orderly.

So far, I've got the "be more active" part down this week. I'm in my first Pilates class, so that counts as a new thing. I still can't see the top of the table, so I haven't eaten at the table. I haven't written anyone yet or written in my journal. I didn't go to church last week, much less Sun. school. I haven't volunteered any this year--although I did say I would go to a meeting and then wimped out because I didn't want to socialize with new people. And I am still disorderly.

Woohoo!

livius drusus
01-13-2005, 02:15 PM
You have too written in your journal (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/journal.php?do=view&journalid=125). Lots.

wildernesse
01-13-2005, 05:18 PM
That's true--and in my blog (www.wildernesse.us)(shameless plug)! I always try to keep a private paper journal, too--and I haven't written anything in it since November. You know, the kind where I can complain about RA not picking up his socks and where I can worry about being a complete failure. :sadcheer:

Ymir's blood
01-13-2005, 05:22 PM
I still can't see the top of the table, so I haven't eaten at the table.
The 'Law of Flat Surfaces' is hard to get around. I suggest buying more chairs and transfering whatever's on the table to them. It worked for me until I ran out of places to put chairs.

maddog
01-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Several years ago I bought the Steven Covey (7 Habits of Highly Successful People) special workbook/pamphlet thingy about "Resolutions," intending to use it for that purpose. Never did until this year. One of the keys, according to this, is, out of the list of resolutions you have, PICK ONE. Don't make a whole bunch you don't keep. Just pick one. It's got little self-eval exercises to help you decide whether the one you've chosen is REALLY "the one" for you to tackle. The one I've picked is, for me. I'm resolved to a certain productivity goal at work. That's my "one." I've worked part way through the workbook, and am getting down to the point of writing down small steps in the achievement of my goal, ordering and prioritizing them. I admit I'm finding this part a little confusing, because a lot of the "small steps" are NOT items you can "check off" the list you're making, because you have to KEEP doing them, over and over. So I haven't mastered, or even managed, that part yet. I am also still clearing away old work from last year, and so haven't gotten started on any new tasks for this year. On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure how the "powers that be" (i.e., my boss) want(s) to "count" things. So maybe some of the leftover things "count" for this year instead of last year, which would be good for this year's stats, but would make last year's production even more pathetic than it already seemed to be. Anyway, the Covey theory seems to be that (1) if you can do one and actually finish it, that will be better than making a bunch of resolutions you don't keep, and (2) in the course of making sure you're doing the "one," you actually have to do a bunch of other things along the way, too, to make it happen, so you're accomplishing more than just the one you picked. I hope it works. I'm still in process. I'll let you know.