PDA

View Full Version : D&D Game

Nightson
12-21-2007, 09:30 PM
It was mentioned in another thread and I figured I'd see what interest there was in getting a FF DnD game going. Either as a free form post when you get the chance type or everyone sitting down to the computer at the same time type.

Ensign Steve
12-21-2007, 09:37 PM
I would definitely be interested. I (and some others, probably) won't really have a ton of free time until after the holidays, though.

And, just throwing my opinion out there, I think a play-by-post game would be more convenient than a set time, but I haven't tried either so what do I know.

Crumb
12-21-2007, 09:41 PM
With the time zone issue I wouldn't think real time would be doable. It would be interesting to try a play by post and I would certainly be up for it.

S.Vashti
12-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I would like to give it another shot. Last online game fizzled out badly, dungeon master decided dating was more interesting. Hmpf. :pout:

Uthgar the Brazen
12-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I would like to give it another shot. Last online game fizzled out badly, dungeon master decided dating was more interesting. Hmpf. :pout:

What, you fell for that? DM on a date... :lolcopt:

Edit: My lolzcopt0r didn't work. :sadcheer:

Julie
12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
I almost married my DM

I'm in for a D&D game. I havnt played in almost 10 years though.

Uthgar the Brazen
12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I've got tons of edition 3.5 stuff, because I'm nerdly enough to nab books even though I can't find a game. Otherwise, I haven't played in longer than Julie.

But I still miss it. :sad:

Ensign Steve
12-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Uth: it's :roflcopt:

Zehava
12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
I've got tons of edition 3.5 stuff, because I'm nerdly enough to nab books even though I can't find a game. Otherwise, I haven't played in longer than Julie.

But I still miss it. :sad:

So do I. In fact my giftmas gifts to myself were:

3.5 special edition Player's Handbook
3.5 special edition Dungeon Master's Guide
3.5 Faiths of Ebberon
3.5 City of Towers: Sharn
3.5 Monster Gift Set (MM II, MM III, Fiend Folio)

Our group hasn't played in almost a year, and I miss it as well. :sad:

Goliath
12-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't mind joining the D&D game, either. However, I won't be able to do a lot before early January, and once the Spring semester is underway, I may not be able to post as much as others. Also, I don't have any 3.5 edition books, only 3rd edition.

Ensign Steve
12-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't have any books at all. Do we have to bring our own books? I don't have dice, either.

Julie
12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I have dice....guess what I keep them in???

Crumb
12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't have any post 2nd edition books. I think only the DM will need any books.

Ensign Steve
12-22-2007, 12:37 AM
I have dice....guess what I keep them in???

A Crown Royal bag?

Julie
12-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Es you are a smart one!

BracesForImpact
12-22-2007, 03:55 AM
I'd love to play.

curses
12-22-2007, 04:09 AM
I've never played, but I'd like to watch and see how it goes.

Qingdai
12-22-2007, 05:52 AM
I sent a notification to my husband (chunk) I think he would be interested.
He hasn't played since the 1980s.

Adam
12-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I'd love to play, but I don't know how much time I'll have to do so. A set time would probably work best for me, else most of my posts will probably be apologies that I'm too busy to keep up (i.e. the last couple forum games I tried to play in), but that seems to be the opposite of what the general :ff: populace prefers.

Uth, I'm in the same boat..I haven't actually played since 2nd edition, but I have a slew of 3rd edition books, just waiting for a gaming group to come along.

Kyuss Apollo
12-22-2007, 08:03 AM
I'd have to quit Travian first, and MooseIBe would kill me. :hitman:

The couple books I have are ancient...I'd have to look but they are like late 70's, 1980 at teh latest,

Ymir's blood
12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Here's my character:

chunksmediocrites
12-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Count me in. I have some the AD&D first edition and this year bought the basics of the 3.5 edition.

I cast magic missile. And no, we are out of Mountain Dew.

chunksmediocrites
12-23-2007, 05:46 AM
A note to Kyuss Apollo- If you have an old first print of Deities and Demigods, the ones with the Cthulhu Mythos and I think 144 pages, if you don't already know, surprise yourself and look up the online price at a used booksellers.

Brimshack
12-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Is it worth soethingh? I have at least one.

Nightson
12-23-2007, 07:11 AM
So, we have way too many people for a single game, I could run two, but if there's anybody else who wants some DM action they could run one.

Crumb
12-23-2007, 06:05 PM
If you need me to I can sit out. :yup:

Adam
12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Don't count me either.

fragment
12-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm unlikely to have the time, and I'm in a very different time zone to all the rest of you anyway. Have fun!

chunksmediocrites
12-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Brimshack: abebooks (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&sortby=1&sts=t&tn=Deities+and+Demigods&x=53&y=14) lists the first editions (1980, 144 pgs, w/ Melnibone and Cthulhu mythos that got them in trouble for copyright infringement) for anywhere from $66 to $195- though that top end is somebody wishful thinking. Some wonky descriptions as well.

Also, if anyone likes Chick Tracts for horrified amusement, here's (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp) a link to the tract explaining the evil of D&D. Hee hee.

Sorry to tangent.

Nightson
12-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Adam and Crumb, there's no problem with both of you being in if you guys still want to play, the numbers we have are fine for running two games.

Just a note about my DM style, I tend to create worlds with things going on, sometimes without necessarily giving the plot hook that screams to be picked up, you might have to poke around some. I'll also let you do whatever you want. If you decide that you want to assassinate the Archduke and try to take over the kingdom, you're welcome to try, I'm not going to make it impossible or say you can't do it (Don't think taking over a kingdom would be easy though). Both action/adventure and intrigue are available to be sought out.

Brimshack
12-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Brimshack: abebooks (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&sortby=1&sts=t&tn=Deities+and+Demigods&x=53&y=14) lists the first editions (1980, 144 pgs, w/ Melnibone and Cthulhu mythos that got them in trouble for copyright infringement) for anywhere from $66 to $195- though that top end is somebody wishful thinking. Some wonky descriptions as well.

Also, if anyone likes Chick Tracts for horrified amusement, here's (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp) a link to the tract explaining the evil of D&D. Hee hee.

Sorry to tangent.

Damn! I had no idea, and I'm short cash too. Maybe it's time to copy a few pages and sell it off. I loved that edition, partly because it was one of the few with monsters that were a good challenge without tweaking. Vulture Lions were the best.

As to the Chick Tract, if I ever get my company moving again, I am SO commissioning miniatures based on those characters. Anyway, sorry about the derail too folks.

I would be interested, but my own life is really upside down right now, and I just don't want to get into something I can't devote a reasonable amount of time to. I hope the campaign goes well guys.

Sock Puppet
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I'd be happy to play on a post-as-possible basis, if there's room. I don't think I've played since 2nd Edition. Now that I think about it, I can remember trying to meld the better parts of 1st ed. into 2nd ed. play, especially Manual of the Planes. If I hadn't started having a life it might have gone somewhere.

chunksmediocrites
12-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Just a note about my DM style, I tend to create worlds with things going on, sometimes without necessarily giving the plot hook that screams to be picked up, you might have to poke around some. I'll also let you do whatever you want. If you decide that you want to assassinate the Archduke and try to take over the kingdom, you're welcome to try, I'm not going to make it impossible or say you can't do it (Don't think taking over a kingdom would be easy though). Both action/adventure and intrigue are available to be sought out.

Sounds great. Thanks for offering to DM! How do we want to proceed from here- figuring out characters, which edition, timing, etc.?

Crumb
12-25-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm still willing if you can fit me in somewhere.

Worldtraveller
12-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Are you still looking for players?

There are D&D forums setup for forum gaming with built in dice rolling macros, links to character sheets, etc. I'd probably be up for it, although I get most of my D&D game fix playing Neverwinter Nights in a large persistent world (based on Greyhawk) these days. :D

FYI, all of the core rules for D20 3.5 are downloadable, so that's the way to go, IMO. Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35).

Check out the tools and stuff at the D&D online forums:
DnD Online Games (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/cmps_index.php)

There's also Fantasy Grounds :: The Virtual Tabletop for Pen & Paper Roleplaying Games (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/) that has a lot of neat tools for online gaming. I haven't tried that one yet, just browsed through it, so I can't vouch for it.

So I'm in if you want another character. I prefer to play the main tank (knight class is great for this).

Cheers.

Uthgar the Brazen
12-26-2007, 03:28 PM
I knew 3.5 had turned D&D into a ph4t l3wtz quest for power-gamers with short attention spans, but they've brought in the mechanics of MMOG's now?!

Oy vey ist mir. :sigh:

Aerik
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm interested to know how we'll replicate dice on a forum...

Sock Puppet
12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Dice rolls can be handled in an Excel macro.

Adam
12-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm interested to know how we'll replicate dice on a forum...

We talked about this in that other thread (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=462954&postcount=66).

We can also just use the honor system and roll our own dice and report the results, but I think the online dice rolling sites are probably more convenient.

chunksmediocrites
12-31-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm assuming there's a holiday hiatus so I'm offering this slight tangent- the story Catacomb (http://www.henrymelton.com/0/h10.html) by Henry Melton that came out back in the day in Dragon Magazine and was always one of my favorites; also interesting to compare this 1985 vision with where computer fantasy adventures have gone since.

I remain in readiness and steadiness.

Nightson
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Alright, holidays are over, time to kick this into gear. We'll have to separate into two groups, I was wondering about what level ranges people like to start at, I'm fairly fond of at least 5+ but if we have enough people who want to start at level 1 I don't mind.

Ensign Steve
01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I have no idea what you just said, so that's where I'm at.

Crumb
01-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I use to always get started at level three. Starting at 5 seems like too much. How will the character creation process work online? Should we keep our data some place where the DM also has access to it?

I think Google Docs can be shared with specific users, and we do have :ff: Google docs now. Would that be useful? :chin:

Worldtraveller
01-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I like to start around level 3-4, but I'm ok with about anything.

Crumb, if you check my post above, the DND online forums have built in character sheets online. If the DM starts a thread, the DM can access every player's character sheet. It also has built in dice rolling features.

I'd prefer to use that forum to actually run the game. But it's obviously going to be up to whomever is the DM.

Cheers.

Crumb
01-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Ah thanks. I guess I should check out the links. :dopey:

chunksmediocrites
01-04-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm happy to start at level 1 but not invested in any particular start point. I think Worldtraveller's suggestion of using the D20 3.5 downloadable rules as a good one.

Nightson
01-09-2008, 07:24 AM
We'll definitely be using 3.5 rules.

I've come up with a kickass campaign setting, at least I think it is. Basically, a Yaun-ti god showed up and kicked the ass of the relatively peaceful Elven/Human empire, seizing the entire north part of the empire before the Yaun-ti god stopped leading their armies into battle and hasn't been seen, shortly after the Yaun-ti stop conquering and started digging in.

While the Elves were still reeling, the Githyanki began arriving in force from the south. The swept through the rest of the Elven empire, only the island capital cities remain under Elven control currently. The Githyanki are trying to push into Yaun-ti territory but they're stalled currently.

The Elves are collecting themselves on their islands, the Yaun-ti are stopping the Githyanki advance and the Githyanki are working hard to change that. There are two other major players who have remained mostly neutral. The Dwarves who mainly inhabit the main range of mountains in the region, and the Thri-keen who inhabit the deserts beyond. Both have remained neutral so far.

Crumb
01-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Cool Nightson. :pleased:

So which of those races can be PCs? :=)

Uthgar the Brazen
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Groovy!

Nightson
01-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Cool Nightson. :pleased:

So which of those races can be PCs? :=)

All of them :) Obviously allegiances to particular sides can be of great importance, if people want to work to help the Yaun-ti or Githyanki then I'm more then happy to design a campaign around that.

Goliath
01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Okay. So, has it been decided which (if any) online tools we'll use for posting character sheets, rolling dice, etc?

Nightson
01-10-2008, 12:54 AM
RPG Web Profiler :: Index - News (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/) is what I use for character sheets.

Dice rolls can be done in whatever way people want, I'm fine with the honor system, people can use their own dice or an online system to make rolls.

Zehava
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I knew 3.5 had turned D&D into a ph4t l3wtz quest for power-gamers with short attention spans, but they've brought in the mechanics of MMOG's now?!

Oy vey ist mir. :sigh:

Certainly sounds that way.

From the little I've picked up it doesn't sound like a step in the right direction to me.

I think I'll stick to 3.5 even with it's ph4t lewtz (I can control that).

Nightson
01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
This game has many possibilities, you could sign up to be in the Githyanki, Yaun-ti or Elven army, you could work for the resistance inside occupied territory, explore uncharted islands full of dread horrors, attempt to involve the Thri-keen in the war, but whatever you think you might want to do, lets move towards actually starting. Either in the thread, or by PM, or by AIM or whatever lets start getting characters made so that we can get a game off the ground.

Crumb
01-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Ok so I'm thinking it would be cool to play a thri-kreen who wishes to fight in the war (for some noble reason or another) so wishes to enlist or otherwise join the fight despite not being the same race as his potential compatriots. So maybe if some of the other characters are otherwise involved in the war or in convincing the thri-kreen to officially join in we can fit them together that way? :chin: I don't know how much of the story you want us to contribute, too and what you want to come up with yourself. I haven't done this in a very long time. :blush:

Worldtraveller
01-18-2008, 02:41 AM
Hrm, how much of the backstory is devloped for this thri-keen/gith/whatever war/conflict/police action :p ??

I can make about any character, depending on what is needed, but I prefer to be the main tank type.

Cheers.

Nightson
01-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Ok so I'm thinking it would be cool to play a thri-kreen who wishes to fight in the war (for some noble reason or another) so wishes to enlist or otherwise join the fight despite not being the same race as his potential compatriots. So maybe if some of the other characters are otherwise involved in the war or in convincing the thri-kreen to officially join in we can fit them together that way? :chin: I don't know how much of the story you want us to contribute, too and what you want to come up with yourself. I haven't done this in a very long time. :blush:

Playing a Thri-keen who wishes to fight in the war is enough of a backstory. Do you have access to the Monster Manual II or will you need the info on Thri-keen characters?

Nightson
01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Hrm, how much of the backstory is devloped for this thri-keen/gith/whatever war/conflict/police action :p ??

I can make about any character, depending on what is needed, but I prefer to be the main tank type.

Cheers.

A large amount, but how much is known about the different motivations of the factions depends on what faction your character starts as.

Crumb
01-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Playing a Thri-keen who wishes to fight in the war is enough of a backstory. Do you have access to the Monster Manual II or will you need the info on Thri-keen characters?
I have only 2nd edition or older books. :( I don't think I have the monster manual you want me to have. Though I do have a book of that title. :D Any info you could provide would be great.

Ensign Steve
01-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Do we need to have a book in order to make a character?

Adam
01-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Most of the relevant info from the books should be in the System Reference Document (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35), although, unfortunately, I don't believe the Monster Manual II, where Thri-Keen and Githyanki appear, is part of the SRD, so you'd either need to have that book or else get someone who does own the book to send you the relevant info privately if you wanted to make a character of one of those races.

Also, the official SRD is a pain in the ass, broken into RTF files. I like this one (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) better.

Crumb
01-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Is this (http://hastur.net/dragonstar/wiki/ThriKreen) a sufficient reference to Thri-Kreen?

Crumb
01-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Would it help the character creation progress for other if I made my character public so folks could see what I do? I haven't rolled any ability scores yet (We just doing 2d6 or what?) but I hope to be a Thri-Kreen Ranger.

KtKrrk (Readonly) (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=1426)

Crumb
01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Oh and this: http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/8bitDandD.html

Nightson
01-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Do we need to have a book in order to make a character?

While the system reference materials linked above will technically be sufficient, if you happened to say, stumble across a Player's Handbook v3.5 on a popular torrent site you would of course not download it because that would be illegal, but if it somehow magically ended up on your computer, it would probably help you.

Nightson
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Is this (http://hastur.net/dragonstar/wiki/ThriKreen) a sufficient reference to Thri-Kreen?

Ignore the Unusual physiognomy and Mammalian revulsion points, otherwise it's accurate.

For ability scores, roll 4d6 and discard the lowest dice, do this six times to generate six scores and then place them as you like.

Nightson
01-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Editing seems to be broken so,

For ability scores, roll 4d6 and discard the lowest dice, do this six times to generate six scores and then place them as you like.

chunksmediocrites
01-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Creating a character but starting them at a higher level, say 3 to 5- or starting them at level 1 - was there a decision made on this?

On the RPG Web profiler site (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/) with character sheets, it asks for a campaign name, in the case that your DM wants to be able to check 'em out, etc. Any desire to do this Nightson, and if so what's the name of the campaign?

Nightson
01-20-2008, 07:27 AM
I've been thinking it over, and I think all characters shall start at level 3. Make sure to take your level adjustment into account when making characters if you're playing a non standard race.

Don't worry about a campaign name, we'll sort that out when we separate into two groups.

chunksmediocrites
01-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Okay, Ganakkor the half-orc barbarian is ready.
Grunt. Sharpen great-axe. Scowl.

Crumb
01-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Make sure to take your level adjustment into account when making characters if you're playing a non standard race.
What do you mean by this?

Crumb
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Also, what do they mean when rangers are proficient with certain types of weapons and armor? I can't find anything about weapon proficiency.

And how do I figure my Total Attack Bonus for a weapon?

Here's what I got so far: KtKrrk (Readonly) (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=1426)

Ensign Steve
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Guys, I'm getting my cable and internet turned off in less than 2 weeks to get ready for my move, so I think I'm going to go ahead and forfeit in advance. :doh: You all have fun, and maybe I'll be back online in time for the next game.

Adam
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Also, what do they mean when rangers are proficient with certain types of weapons and armor? I can't find anything about weapon proficiency.

From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm):

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

ETA: Oh, it just occurred to me that you may have been asking what it means to be proficient. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#weaponArmorAndShieldProficiency):

A character who uses a weapon with which he or she is not proficient takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls.

A character who wears armor and/or uses a shield with which he or she is not proficient takes the armor’s (and/or shield’s) armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all Strength-based and Dexterity-based ability and skill checks. The penalty for nonproficiency with armor stacks with the penalty for nonproficiency with shields

And how do I figure my Total Attack Bonus for a weapon?

You just add up all relevant attack bonuses. For example, your total bonus with your Battle Axe is +3 from your Base Attack Bonus, and +3 from your Strength, for a total of +6. If you had, say, the Weapon Focus(Battle Axe) feat, that would add +1 and your total would be +7 instead.

Yes, I'm a complete nerd.

Crumb
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM

From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm):

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).
Right, but what I am asking is what it means to be proficient. Do I get penalties if I use weapons I am not proficient with?

And how do I figure my Total Attack Bonus for a weapon?You just add up all relevant attack bonuses. For example, your total bonus with your Battle Axe is +3 from your Base Attack Bonus, and +3 from your Strength, for a total of +6. If you had, say, the Weapon Focus(Battle Axe) feat, that would add +1 and your total would be +7 instead.

Yes, I'm a complete nerd.
So it looks like all my weapons are +6 (or should I include the penalties for the Kama being in my off hand?)

I am disappointed I won't get to use the word THAC0. :kickscan:

S.Vashti
01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I need to drop out, won't have time but to watch. So my lady thief will sit out this campaign.

But I want to add, if you sign up at http://www.dndonlinegames.com, you can publish your character to anyone, and they have on-line resources you can use to help equip your character. Character sheets look like this:
http://www.dndonlinegames.com/view.php?id=55381

Adam
01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Right, but what I am asking is what it means to be proficient. Do I get penalties if I use weapons I am not proficient with?

In case you didn't see it, I realized that you might be asking that after I posted, and I edited an answer in.

Crumb
01-21-2008, 10:14 PM
:thankee: Thank you, Adam! I'll have to stick with the martial and simple weapons then.

Nightson
01-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Make sure to take your level adjustment into account when making characters if you're playing a non standard race.
What do you mean by this?

The special abilities and ability score adjustments that come with the race means you get less class levels then other players who choose standard races. Thri-kreen have a level adjustment of one. You can stay at level three if you like and you'll just gain XP a bit slower then the rest until you're balanced out.

Nightson
01-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Hmm, I didn't notice this was missing before, Thri-kreen are also proficient with two racial weapons.

The Gythka is a large exotic polearm weapon. The wielder can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, as if the wielder has a one handed weapon and a light weapon. Each head does 2d6 slashing damage, x2 on crit, 20 to threaten a crit.

The Chatkcha is a crystalline throwing wedge and deals 1d6 piercing damage, 20 ft. range increment, threatens a crit on a 20 and deals double damage on a crit.

Crumb
01-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Ah ok, I will change to the Thri-Kreen weapons probably then. I was trying to find something more interesting than swords.

The special abilities and ability score adjustments that come with the race means you get less class levels then other players who choose standard races. Thri-kreen have a level adjustment of one. You can stay at level three if you like and you'll just gain XP a bit slower then the rest until you're balanced out.
Ah so I was only supposed to start at level 2. I'll take the slow gain to level 4. Thanks for the understanding. :) I haven't really read the Thri-Kreen thing yet, they aren't in the MM I was looking in. I'll see if I can find them tonight, switch my weapons and have this character done.

When I'm done will that be only two that we have so far?

chunksmediocrites
01-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Alright players, where are you?

Calling Goliath, Julie, Zehava, Braces For Impact, Sock Puppet, World Traveller, Aerik, Uthgar the Brazen? Adam, do you have the time?

Let's go make some Yuan-ti, or githyanki, or an angry slime-mold, or an elderly, one-legged kobold match against our cunning, boldness, and prowess!
I am ready to enter the fray! Or nap. Or maybe eat that kobold.

chunksmediocrites
01-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Mmmm. Kobold.

Crumb
01-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Blech! Too gamey!

Adam
01-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry, I'm on 50+ hour weeks at the moment and won't have any time to play in the near future.

Uthgar the Brazen
01-24-2008, 05:44 PM
My schedule's complete crap at the moment, so I can't really commit to a regular game right now, either. :sadcheer:

Crumb
01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
:(

Nightson
01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Well if we get just two more people we can start a game.

Crumb
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
maybe they could be prodded by PM by the DM... cha cha cha :ffboogie:

chunksmediocrites
01-25-2008, 05:53 AM
I contacted a few more people from this thread and a couple friends who are D&D fans but not familiar with this site. A couple expressed interest so hopefully we'll be campaigning in three shakes of a displacer beast's tail.

Julie
01-25-2008, 06:34 AM
LOL I'm trying to get a character sheet up and ready...but OMG it's been so long I've forgotten how!

Julie
01-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Ok I've got a start...filled in all I remember how (Found a 4d6 roller on line cause I have no freaking Idea where my dice are!)

RPG Web Profiler :: RPG Web Profiler Error (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=1485)

Now I need help and in-put :)

chunksmediocrites
01-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Okay, the d20 rules (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) can give you some more on the Ranger class and Elf modifiers, as well as weapons and armor.

chunksmediocrites
01-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Oh! And even a half-orc barbarian (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=1456) is grudgingly happy to see you, elf ranger!

Julie
01-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Ok for the life of me I can not remember how to figure out the HP and I can't find it on line.....so could some one explain it to me in small words please?

Oh and I have no idea what to do with the skills and what not...so again...in small words can I get some help pls?
10 years gone and no books in front of me is making this hard :)

Nightson
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Hit points are easy, first you find the hitdice of the class which for the ranger is a d8. The basic is you get a number of hitpoints for each level equal to your hitdice plus your constitution modifier. So you get 1d8+1 per level with a single exception. For level one instead of rolling 1d8 you just get the maximum amount, so for a total of three levels, you would need to find 2d8+11.

Reading through this should give you everything you need to know about skills
Skills Index :: d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/skills.htm)

Crumb
01-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh we get the maximum amount for level one? :dopey: I don't remember what I rolled...

ETA: What's a Avariel?

Uthgar the Brazen
01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Winged elf.

Wiki, Wiki! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avariel)

Julie
01-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I usually play the winged elf or a halfling, although I have played a drow every now and again.

And I think my skills are all set. I should be ready to go :) whenever you guys are.

Crumb
01-25-2008, 09:39 PM
So we have two rangers and a barbarian. Seems we need a mage or something.

Zehava
01-25-2008, 10:40 PM
And clerics. 1/3 of any adventuring group should be clerics, that's one of my hard and fast rules. You can never have too much healing. :yup:

Crumb
01-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Though we do have two rangers who will eventually have a few clerical spells, but yeah a cleric would be good.

Worldtraveller
01-27-2008, 02:40 AM
One of the rangers willing to play a paladin instead?

I can play a cleric. (I need to catch up on this thread, we got a rogue?)

Crumb
01-27-2008, 02:41 AM
All we have are two rangers and a barbarian. Not much variety.

Worldtraveller
01-27-2008, 02:46 AM
I won't bring in my knight then. Nothing like a tank heavy group with no healing.

Nightson, can you PM me or post a link to your world's Pantheon so I can make a cleric? :)

BracesForImpact
01-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Wanna play! Wanna play!

Anyone know some good dice rollers online? I'd be happy to make a mage of some sort.

Julie
01-27-2008, 03:16 AM
DICE! (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm)

And LOL No Im not willing to change! hehehehe It took me days to get this one done as it is!

BracesForImpact
01-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Well since we're a tad low on variety I could go with a Bard...

OK, I'm old and used to Edition 2 rules, I see how to figure out your skill points and what not. What about feats?

Worldtraveller
01-27-2008, 04:44 AM
All classes get 1 feat per 3 levels. Humans get a bonus feat at 1st.

Crumb
01-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Wait, so I only get one feat? :confused:

chunksmediocrites
01-27-2008, 05:21 AM
As a ranger you start with Track as a bonus feat. All classes start with choosing a feat at level 1, and then start accruing new feats at level 3, 6, 9, etc. Fighters, monks and paladins (I think) all get bonus feats as well as regular feat accrual.

As a 3rd level ranger you would have Track and two more feats of your choosing.

chunksmediocrites
01-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Here's the d20 Feats Index (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/feats.htm).

Crumb
01-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Ok, I think I have my feats right for a 3rd level Ranger.

:thankee: chunk

BracesForImpact
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
OK, I think I have everything about ready.

Dexenthal the Bard (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=1505)

Crumb
01-27-2008, 05:24 PM
:eager:

Zehava
01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Alright players, where are you?

Calling Goliath, Julie, Zehava, Braces For Impact, Sock Puppet, World Traveller, Aerik, Uthgar the Brazen? Adam, do you have the time?

Let's go make some Yuan-ti, or githyanki, or an angry slime-mold, or an elderly, one-legged kobold match against our cunning, boldness, and prowess!
I am ready to enter the fray! Or nap. Or maybe eat that kobold.

I'm working up an idea, trying to make it fit within the 3.5 SRD. My initial thought required access to additional materials (for the Spell Domain).

I'll post something later today after work.

Now for important stuff...

Kobold, free range or farm fed?

Free range I find to be tough and gamey, while the typical farm fed Kobold is chock full of antibiotics, growth hormones and is to fatty for my tastes. I prefer my kobolds grain fed in semi-approximation of free range but with the occasional exercise provided by a rampaging group of adventurer's.

Sock Puppet
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
If you continue to have trouble rounding out the group, I'll join in. Otherwise I'd prefer to sideline for this first one to try to refresh my memory on how the hell to play the game. I look at the stats discussion and my eyes go all wiggy. :shifty:

Zehava
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
If you continue to have trouble rounding out the group, I'll join in. Otherwise I'd prefer to sideline for this first one to try to refresh my memory on how the hell to play the game. I look at the stats discussion and my eyes go all wiggy. :shifty:

You don't have time for D&D, hell you can't even get your WoW toon to 70. :P

Julie
01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Bah my Wow Toon is stuck at 57! (I'm having trouble getting paypal to work with WoW and no one remembers to buy me a time card when they are out...IO havnt had WoW in 2 weeks!)

And Sock...thats a lame excuse to not play....I never understood any of this and I still play!

Nightson
01-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I have notes on the religious system and possibly (but not likely) a map later tonight. Don't worry about additional materials as long as it's something put out by wizards, if it isn't then make sure to find some way for me to see it.

Sock Puppet
01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
You don't have time for D&D, hell you can't even get your WoW toon to 70. :PThis, of course, is the real truth.

On the other hand, I can't play WoW from work anyway, whereas this ...

chunksmediocrites
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Kobold, free range or farm fed?

Free range I find to be tough and gamey, while the typical farm fed Kobold is chock full of antibiotics, growth hormones and is to fatty for my tastes. I prefer my kobolds grain fed in semi-approximation of free range but with the occasional exercise provided by a rampaging group of adventurer's.

First of all, I don't think this world has farm-raised kobolds, though you can check with Nightson. Secondly, see all those pointy teeth? Kobolds can't digest grains without a good supply of rocks for their gizzards. Plus there's just not enough protein in the grains for these omnivores. Ideally, you want to go with 50% raw meat, 50% chestnuts, then switch them just to chestnuts for two weeks before butchering, to improve flavor. Then after you clean them, you want to encase the side of kobold in savory herbs under about an inch of wet clay and build a fire pit. Get a good bed of coals going and then lay the kobold side in the pit and cover the whole thing. Wait at least 12 hours and then dig it up, and serve with a lot of wine.

Alternatively, if you are a half-orc barbarian that got to go in the caves after something or other and you are out of trail rations- and not really in a hurry to go hang out with a winged elf who can't go indoors, an elf who likes to sing, (shudder) and a giant humanoid mantis (not that half-orcs are everybody's favorite companion, mind you-)- then maybe you will just take a breather and eat the remaining leg of the old one-legged kobold, you know, to keep your strength up.

Actually Ganakkor prefers food that doesn't have its own culture.

chunksmediocrites
01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Come play, Sock Puppet! You might even talk to Worldtraveller, and see if he's rolled up a cleric yet- He would rather play his Knight- that is if you are willing to cleric. I'm sure Nightson, Adam, Worldtraveller, or others here can help you out with technical questions.

Sock it to 'em!

Nightson
01-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Your bolding disturbs me greatly.

Notes on religion by race or cultural lines

Githyanki - Atheists, while acknowledging that there are powerful beings they deny that this makes them deserving of worship, revere the Lich Queen but don't worship her

Thri-kreen - Seem to have difficulty understanding the normal concepts of religion, they seem to hold the hive mind of the Thri-kreen species in a near godlike status although how exactly they think of it seems to defy communication by speech

Yaun-ti - Worship their dark snake god, frequent human sacrifices, considers other deities to be lesser ones

Various tribal races - Tend towards either animism or dark sacrificial religions similar to the Yuan-ti

Imperials - Quasi monotheistic religion which recognizes a singular figure with several aspects. Gods of the Islanders are incorporated as saints in a sort of heavenly court who derive power from the monotheistic figure.

Islanders - Worship a variety of gods, most similar to common fantasy religious systems. Do to their close relationship with the sea, the sea god is the single most revered god among the Islanders.

Dwarves - Dualistic religion similar to Zoroastrianism.

Nightson
01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
As for the map, I haven't figured out how I want it to look yet, but here's the basics. The thri-kreen inhabit a desert which borders the former Imperial lands that are now under Yuan-ti and Githyanki control. A large mountain range separates the desert from the jungle area. The seat of Imperial power is an island, picture Australia. The Islanders inhabit a group of islands, think Indonesia and the stuff right of Indonesia, which is a decent amount away from the Imperial island.

Imperials and Islanders are distinct in a red state blue state sort of way. Both the Imperial island and the Many Islands are still under sovereign power.

Worldtraveller
01-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Dwarf Cleric incoming. PM with whatever RP details I might need to know, and if there are any restrictions on spell spheres (I'm going to assume LN alignment initially.)

I got a NWN game tonight, so I'll make an account at that site and roll him up tomorrow, probably.

Cheers.

chunksmediocrites
01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Looks like we're almost there!

I'll ease up on the bold-type names- old habit from another forum.

Sock Puppet
01-29-2008, 11:06 PM
I really can't do it. Too much heating up here at work for me to devote work hours to trying to wrap my brain around what might as well be a brand-new set of rules for me. And my time at home is even more constrained. Sorry.

Worldtraveller
01-30-2008, 05:25 AM
The cleric is going to have to wait another day or two. I'm coming down with something and am going to bed early.

I'll roll him up soon.

Cheers.

S.Vashti
01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
As for the map, I haven't figured out how I want it to look yet, but here's the basics. The thri-kreen inhabit a desert which borders the former Imperial lands that are now under Yuan-ti and Githyanki control. A large mountain range separates the desert from the jungle area. The seat of Imperial power is an island, picture Australia. The Islanders inhabit a group of islands, think Indonesia and the stuff right of Indonesia, which is a decent amount away from the Imperial island.

Imperials and Islanders are distinct in a red state blue state sort of way. Both the Imperial island and the Many Islands are still under sovereign power.

I love making maps. You could send me a sketch, I'm a published fantasy map illustrator. I'd whip something up for you.
Credentials (http://www.daviddfriedman.com/harald/Harald.html)

Crumb
01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow, great work Chris. The style reminds me a lot of the old giant Forgotten Realms map. :thumbup:

S.Vashti
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks ... but ... it was really supposed to look more like Tolkien's map-making style. Though I've just looked up Forgotten Realms and you are quite correct!

Adam
01-30-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the old FR maps were supposed to look like Tolkien, too, so I think you can count that as a win. :tmgrin:

Crumb
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
:sheepish:

chunksmediocrites
02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Zzzzzzzzz...
flap flap flap flap <snurk>.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/alliterationwtf/stirge.gif
"Huh?"
SMACK!
"Damn stirges!"
As a barbarian of action (as opposed to those sedentary barbarian-types) I am nearly ready to take on the yuan-ti and the githyanki by my lonesome! Ah, the challenge of combat, the counting of coup, the song of battle, the feeling of the earth beneath your feet while you test your mettle. The outwitting and surprising of enemies. Ganakkor the half-orc grows sleepy. This place has too many stirges. I would even enjoy the company of elves and dwarves, I am so restless.

Oh well, back to finishing Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Crumb
02-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm right there with you Ganakkor. Let's go dice up some githyanki, if you wouldn't mind the company of a mantis warrior.

chunksmediocrites
02-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Mantis warriors are okay. Especially since they make Ganakkor's table manners look positively civilized! Plus you big bugs are tough and fearless. A barbarian can respect that.

I hope we encounter giant bees- ever seen a praying mantis eat a bee like corn-on-the-cob?

Crumb
02-02-2008, 09:23 PM
seen it? I've done it.

Worldtraveller
02-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Graal Hammerfist - Patriarch of Clan Stonehand - Ready to roll. (http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=1565)

I haven't selected his spells yet. Do you use the standard 'memorize system' for D20, or a spell point system?

Otherwise, he's ready to go.

*glances at the half orc and mumbles* "Damn he's ugly."
*notices the thri-keen* "By the gods, that one's even uglier...and is it...talking? *pauses* "I'm gonna need another ale...or three."

Cheers

Nightson
02-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Make sure to make your characters publicly viewable :)

I'll start working on getting a campaign thread up.

Worldtraveller
02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Ok, found the public setting, should be able to view him now.

chunksmediocrites
02-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Minstrel Dexenthal! Do you know the song about the drunken wizard and the sleeping bugbear? Or 'There's a Goblin in the Well'? Or 'How Many Gith Does it Take to Light a Torch'?

BracesForImpact
02-10-2008, 04:34 AM
I know all those and more. I know ballads and dirges both modern and old. I know stories of heroism, adventure, and humor. But one of my favorites is the story of Neil, the Orc Barbarian. Neil's lack of wit puts him into no end of zany misadventures, each more side-splitting than the last! *Looks nervously at the half-orc* although perhaps we should uh, save those for another time.

chunksmediocrites
02-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Neil the Orc Barbarian! My favorite story is the one where Neil went berserk and hamstrung a hill giant, only to have it fall on him and break both his arms and legs. The giant busted his thick skull on a rock, and Neil had to eat his way out, dragging himself out with his tongue! Everything-But-the-Guts Belshabor, the cook for Mongrel Clan, used to tell that story to the young-uns! Ha, ha hoo, hoo, hoo, ho! You'll do, troubador elf!

chunksmediocrites
02-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Ganakkor searches for deeds to be done, but all is nebulous. He has a suspicion there are gith somewhere, an elven army, and demon snake-men, but he is not sure about much else. He knows he has for some strange reason found himself in the company of a dwarven cleric, a thri-keen ranger, a winged elf ranger, and an elven bard. Ganakkor tries to remember what brought this unusual group here, in this place, and what purpose binds he and his companions together- but his head is foggy. Has some sorcerer cast a spell upon him? Has he bumped his head? Is this a fever-dream? Too much ale?

Nightson
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
If you have any backstory to your character (and it's perfectly fine if you don't), or personality traits that strongly distinguish him from others of his culture and alignment, now would be a good time to share them as I'm typing up the opening scenes now (it'll take me the better part of today though so you have time).

Nightson
03-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Feel free to use this thread for ooc discussion or questions.

Artemis Entreri
03-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Awww... I missed this.
I wouldn't even have to make up a name :(
I'll enjoy reading the action tread though

chunksmediocrites
03-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Does anyone know where to find 3E D&D rules SRD or downloadable 3E rules online? I started playing with a face-to-face RPG group locally and our next campaign is in the 3rd edition rules. I hunted around but mostly came up with dead links and dead ends.

Nightson
03-16-2008, 05:53 AM
I still have my old 3rd edition rulebooks if you just need to like, make a character.

chunksmediocrites
03-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Yeah, basically. Can I pretty much use the same character sheets online that we are using now or is that too far from v3? I'm making a human Cleric lvl 1. I think I may just go pick up a used copy of the 3E player's handbook tomorrow if I can find it cheap which I think I can.

Nightson
03-16-2008, 06:23 AM
The online site we're using actually has an option for 3E char sheets (not that they're very different). The cleric is the same in 3E and 3.5E so you lucked out there.

beyelzu
03-16-2008, 03:40 PM
i would like to play some sort of fighter class, not human would be cool.

chunksmediocrites
03-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Nightson. I'll work off my 3.5 Player's Handbook and use the 3E sheets and just have the DM double check it for me when we play.

Artemis Entreri
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
If there is a second game I'd like to play a either a rogue or psion or sorcerer character, whichever would be more useful for the group.
I'll be satisfied with playing an ordinary human too.

Nightson
03-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Right now I'm leaning towards just working you guys into the current game.

Also, after thinking long and hard, I'm implementing a house rule. Alignment is completely broken in DnD. Because it doesn't take into account different ethical theories and instead tries to distill everything into some objective parameters for good, evil, law and chaos. It doesn't work and it constrains the game.Feel free to use it as a general indicator of your motivations, but any game mechanic that references it is gone. Anything from holy weapons to class restrictions based on alignment.

Crumb
03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Whoa, it's pomo DnD! :panics:

Artemis Entreri
03-19-2008, 01:23 AM
I've been reading up on the Giths. It apears they're a psionic race but there's no psionic characters in the group. hint hint

Nightson
03-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Coming tomorrow..

Pictures because I got my scanner working! And combat! Because getting out isn't going to be as easy as getting in.

Here's what your prison looked like btw

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Night_son/DnD%20Game/Prison.jpg

Artemis Entreri
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
what happened?
I was watching the show

Julie
04-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Last time nightson posted was on the 2nd and he had said he was having a horrible week....So I'm guessing that the game is temperately on hold cause Nightsons life is busy right now.

I'd dm a game but well no one would like it :) I'm TERRIBLE at it

Artemis Entreri
04-11-2008, 02:28 AM
I'd be up for it, but no cunning ploys to try to get my character out of his shirt.

Julie
04-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Well where is the fun in that?!?

Shoot now I do want to DM a game just to do that! Rawr

Nightson
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Update coming later today. And since today is the primary, the worse Hillary does the better it'll be for you. :)

Skydin
04-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Hay, I can see that this has been going for awhile, but can I still join? Like, mid-game? Imprisoned somewhere or just meeting them in town, you know?

Artemis Entreri
05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I think Julie should DM a second game.

Julie
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
You do realize that If I dm`d a game it would require naked pictures of you...and more of your puppy...we havnt had a puppy update yet!

Artemis Entreri
03-17-2009, 12:53 AM
So what ever happened????
No second game?
Do you still require naked pictures?
Kelee is now 100lbs of bed hog.
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/45/l_757ff385352247fa8fe3ca5156c1c23d.jpg