PDA

View Full Version : Vocabulary game

chunksmediocrites
12-31-2007, 06:24 AM
A friend recently turned me on to this vocabulary challenge (http://www.freerice.com/index.php) that is fun and donates (a very small amount of) rice with every correct answer you give. I plateau at level 47 and by that point I am pretty stumped half the time- I should thank Gene Wolfe and some of my other favorite authors for their broadening effect on my vocabulary. Give it a try!

viscousmemories
12-31-2007, 06:50 AM
It's a popular site. :)

Fun, Educational & Philanthropic Website - Freethought Forum (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14843)

Vocabulary quiz (free rice) - Freethought Forum (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14402)

hermirror
12-31-2007, 07:31 AM
I love FreeRice. 47 is impressive. I reached 42 at one point, but it's a challenge for me to get back up to that level.
http://www.thehungersite.com is a similar concept. On TheHungerSite you click once daily, rather than answer an indefinite number of vocabulary questions.

chunksmediocrites
12-31-2007, 07:50 AM
It's a popular site. :)

D'oh! I'm only two years behind the times, apparently!

Guinevere
12-31-2007, 02:56 PM
There was a piece on NPR recently (Morning Edition I believe), about how some teachers are using the site to help kids study for their SATs. I thought that was a very cool idea!

I've gotten up to 45, but always get stuck there.

Dingfod
12-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Me too.

livius drusus
12-31-2007, 04:35 PM
I got to 50 twice but couldn't sustain it. The pressure... The pressure!1

On an unrelated note, chunksmediocrities, I just noticed your new avatar. I LOVED that show. :bow:

Clutch Munny
12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
I just tried again and blew a tire at 49 again.

:envy:

Alex
12-31-2007, 07:57 PM
A good knowledge of Latin roots helps with the guesswork: I got to 49 and then petered out.......

Guinevere
12-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Well I clawed my way up to 47, and then got rejected when I tried for more.

chunksmediocrites
01-01-2008, 07:15 AM
livius drusus Thanks! Manimal was short-lived and pretty silly- I barely remember it as I was 12 at the time, but I could swear Manimal had a four-sided pyramid-shaped metal frame that he meditated inside, while out in the forest, though I could be splicing in some other series. Back then, anyone who could turn into a black panther was pretty cool to me. Okay actually that's still true. TV Guide put it on their worst TV shows ever list a few years ago as well. Whenever I mention it most have no idea of what the hell I am talking about. (Kind of like the show from the late 80's whose name I can't remember : the protagonist was vigilante who wore all black and carried an unloaded .357 with a laser sight, had a cat-burglar/ ninja/ the Shadow skill-set, and helped people in trouble- and looked like Michael Nouri from Flashdance- I want to say 'Sable', but I got no hits off IMDb.)

livius drusus
01-01-2008, 02:41 PM
TV Guide is just hating. Sure, Manimal used the same four Werewolf-in-Londonish transformation sequences in every episode, but they rocked that stock footage, dammit!

I lived in Italy in the 80's and they showed failed American series in perpetual loops. Remember Automan? Desi Arnaz, Jr. and a "hologram" who steps out of the computer along with his trusty sidekick cursor to solve crimes and disco dance? That shit was hot.

Octavia
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
It's a great site. I've gotten to 48 several times, but can't seem to break past it! It's strangely addictive...

Bright Life
01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Eh, 49. Then I started seeing some stuff I've never heard of!

chunksmediocrites
01-02-2008, 03:30 AM
livius drusus
Automan was great. Youtube has the opening credits. My favorite running schtick in the series (beyond Automan's bemused benevolent super-hero thing) was the 90 degree angle turns Automan's vehicles would make, smooshing the sidekick into the windows. Sledgehammer is out on dvd now and a friend lent it to me; I could only watch it in small doses but still pretty funny.

seebs
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I haven't been able to clear 46. :(

seebs
01-18-2008, 11:06 PM
TV Guide is just hating. Sure, Manimal used the same four Werewolf-in-Londonish transformation sequences in every episode, but they rocked that stock footage, dammit!

I lived in Italy in the 80's and they showed failed American series in perpetual loops. Remember Automan? Desi Arnaz, Jr. and a "hologram" who steps out of the computer along with his trusty sidekick cursor to solve crimes and disco dance? That shit was hot.

I remember that! It made NO SENSE AT ALL!

I want to see it again.

And to the other person who brought it up: Sledge Hammer is a beautiful realization of all that could have been right with American Television, including killing off the entire cast at least once.