PDA

View Full Version : Freespace: Open

Egor
05-16-2008, 06:08 AM
So I thought I would mention here to all that enjoy flying in outer space that there is the game for you! Descent Freespace was an excellent game that was way ahead of it's time both me and my brother played it back on Windows 95. Long story short company makes good follow up game Freespace 2 but they go belly up. Before they went belly up another company purchased the source code for Freespace 2 and made it open source.

So now the public gaming community has played with the game and come up with over 50 straight Mod campaigns for the game. Also they have come up with ten total conversions for the game including a Babylon 5 Mod, Battlestar Gallactica mod, Wing Commander, Star Wars , and even a Starfox Mod. Only a few of the total conversions are done but there almost all of the straight Mods are! That means Hundreds of playable missions every last one of the FREE.

If you are interested just go here: Main Page - Freespace Wiki (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)

If you are interested in an excellent 3d Space shooter I highly recommend this game!

Oh I forgot to mention it also runs on Windows Linux and Mac!

Dragar
06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Just let me bump this. FS2 is a game I still play to this day - though I of course use the open addition with its updated graphics, rather than my original (but treasured) CDs.

It's a must for anyone who loves space-flight combat simulators in the spirit of the classics by LucasArts of X-wing and (especially) Tie-Fighter.

Megatron
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh shit I'll have to check this out. I also played the first one back in the win95 days.