PDA

View Full Version : Assassin In The Palace: Peanut Gallery

Megatron
06-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Starting this before the game thread so it can get all the "OMG game starting" spam rather than the real one :P

Nevermind, I am a sneaky ninja and got the whole setup stuff posted before anyone got in the way. Time zones FTW.

I started it early because several people asked me to... and well, why not. Everyone that signed up looks like they're pretty active right now.

Go forth and kill each other.

The Tick
06-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Excellent! demolish Megatron!

:cool:

Joshua Adams
06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Starting this before the game thread so it can get all the "OMG game starting" spam rather than the real oneWe'll see about that!

Megatron
06-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Might want to fix your signature, Tick... don't think anyone's going to be joining the game anymore :P

However, if anyone who missed out would like to sign up as a possible replacement if anyone just HAS to quit for some reason, go ahead and post that.

The Tick
06-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Ah, true. Forgot to fix it... doing it now.

The Tick
06-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I have a question regarding the gameplay: why is it made so that people cannot speculate who the king is?

That was something that caught my eye the moment I saw the rules... and I kept wondering why that is.

Crumb
06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
It would sort of be like speculating who the doc or cop is in a normal mafia game, but even more critical. So, bad for the guards, but it is odd that it is strictly forbidden. :chin:

Ensign Steve
06-24-2008, 05:46 PM
It would sort of be like speculating who the doc or cop is in a normal mafia game, but even more critical. So, bad for the guards, but it is odd that it is strictly forbidden. :chin:

I don't get it either. Don't most of the players already know who the king is?

Crumb
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Except the assassin. :yup:

The Tick
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Hmm... but speculating doc/cop thingy is allowed in Mafia... so it still strikes bit odd.

Why not simply say that "it's not a good strategy to speculate who the King is". Well, I suppose since assassin is the only one who doesn't know who the king is, the guy who begins speculating is probably going to get lynched asap...

Still, bit odd...

Ensign Steve
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Hmm... but speculating doc/cop thingy is allowed in Mafia... so it still strikes bit odd.

Why not simply say that "it's not a good strategy to speculate who the King is". Well, I suppose since assassin is the only one who doesn't know who the king is, the guy who begins speculating is probably going to get lynched asap...

Still, bit odd...

Okay, yeah, this is exactly my thinking as well. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :confused:

Megatron
06-24-2008, 05:58 PM
There's a reasoning behind the prohibition of speculation:

mafiascum.net :: View topic - Open 73 - Assassin in the Palace (Game Over!) before 595 (http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8351)

This is the second game run with this setup on mafiascum, and a gambit post by Oman, the assassin, on the very first page, pretty much broke the game.

There was another attempt (albeit this was anecdotal and I didn't see the game myself) where a guard gave out the name of the real king, thinking to WIFOM the assassin. The assassin, of course, called his bluff and won.

However, the primary reason is so that several guards cannot collude to mass reveal a false king in order to ruin the game for the assassin. To ensure guards do not even attempt this strategy, the safest bet is to modkill anyone who even tries. Especially since if I modkilled ONLY guards who did this, I'd just give up the identity of the assassin.

Remember, the roles are somewhat reversed: it's an informed majority vs. an uninformed minority, instead of the usual opposite.

The Tick
06-24-2008, 06:35 PM
There was another attempt (albeit this was anecdotal and I didn't see the game myself) where a guard gave out the name of the real king, thinking to WIFOM the assassin. The assassin, of course, called his bluff and won.
Okay. That makes sense.

Smilin
06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
:whistles:

Julie
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
:shakesmilin:

Smilin
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
:D

FWIW...Julie...You do not suck....:lol:

mickthinks
06-25-2008, 12:44 AM
When I read Megatron's set-up I thought it sounded flawed. Not in the usual sense that the game was broken, with one side or the other having an identifiable winning strategy. Flawed in the sense that there isn't actually any way to play it intelligently. If anyone can prove me wrong I reckon you guys can, but so far it isn't looking good.

The Tick
06-25-2008, 05:30 AM
When I read Megatron's set-up I thought it sounded flawed. Not in the usual sense that the game was broken, with one side or the other having an identifiable winning strategy. Flawed in the sense that there isn't actually any way to play it intelligently. If anyone can prove me wrong I reckon you guys can, but so far it isn't looking good.

Well, we test to play the game. Then we'll see if it was fun or not :D

The Tick
06-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Btw... is Smilin going to get godkilled? (see post #35 (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=554522&postcount=35))

Joshua Adams
06-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Seems that he is being let off with a warning for the first time.

Megatron
06-25-2008, 05:37 AM

There's actually a pretty well-recognized tactic for it, but there's also obviously a lot more chance involved. It's not really supposed to work like regular mafia.

Megatron
06-25-2008, 05:38 AM
Btw... is Smilin going to get godkilled? (see post #35 (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=554522&postcount=35))

Seems that he is being let off with a warning for the first time.

Yeah, I got the impression that Smilin was trying to be funny and that's really the only reason he's alive. I will neither confirm nor deny his claim or his role.

The Tick
06-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Okaydokie. We shall put that in the category of: "Smilin funny comments to be told to our grandchildren when we are 80 year old" :)

Glad that it's solved.

I presume the NEXT "I'm king - just kidding! Yes, I am" dude gets godkilled? :)

The Tick
06-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Okaydokie. We shall put that in the category of: "Smilin funny comments to be told to our grandchildren when we are 80 year old" :)

Glad that it's solved.

Megatron
06-25-2008, 05:47 AM
Yes... I'm even considering more of a "god-exploded" sort of thing, where all the rest of you finish the game splattered with goo from said offender.

The Tick
06-25-2008, 05:49 AM
Yes... I'm even considering more of a "god-exploded" sort of thing, where all the rest of you finish the game splattered with goo from said offender.

Interesting...:giggle: I didn't know godkill could do that...

Joshua Adams
06-25-2008, 05:52 AM
I wonder how it would impact the game if instead of everyone pretending to be guards, everyone just pretended to be the king. Has there been discussion about that on mafiascum?

Megatron
06-25-2008, 05:54 AM
I haven't seen it. However, I'd think that strategy would fall apart pretty easily. After all, who would you vote for?

Joshua Adams
06-25-2008, 06:02 AM
lol, true. Whoever's lying in such a way that shows they're an assassin, and not a guard! Two totally different types of lie!

The Tick
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Hmm... Megatron, is there any places that point out strategies for this game?

To me, this looks that there's quite a lot of guess-work involved, people just randomly voting somebody (hoping him to be either king/assassin depending on the side). Would be nice to hear if there's places that show different strategies.

Here's some random thoughts:

Guards: try to act like guards or like the king (I don't really know how you can try to "act like a king")

King: tries to act like a guard or like the king (like, double-bluffing that he "acts like a king so he must be just faking it")

Assassin: tries to act like a guard or like the fake-king (if he acts like a guard, others hopefully won't vote him, if he act like a fake-king, then hopefully others won't be lynching him as they think that this guard must be an assassin, trying to make decoy of himself)

---

Hmm... whichever route it goes, not really sure if any of the points above show a valid tactic for either side.

Oh well, we'll see how this game goes. :)

Smilin
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM

Glad that it's solved.

My legacy lives on through the internets.....

BTW...just as an fyi...

YOU ALL SUCK BIG DONKEY DICKS...:D

kthnxbai!

Julie
06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
*I* didn't vote for you smilin :D

Smilin
06-25-2008, 05:18 PM
*I* didn't vote for you smilin :D

and you are a poet and a saint in my eyes...:D

The rest of them bastards that voted for me,....can suck it...:D

TOLD YAH, I WAS A GUARD, DIDN'T I?

Evil bastards..the whole lot of yah......(well except Julie of course....:D)

The Tick
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
I thought you told us you are the king

:P

Ensign Steve
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
We knew you were a guard, Smilin. :facepalm:

Smilin
06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
We knew you were a guard, Smilin. :facepalm:

YES...and I tried to tell you bitches...

but would you listne....fuck NO!

So, what did ya'll accomplish by lynching my lame ass? NOT JACK SHIT!

So,,,,,with respect to the rules, I'm confined to bitching at ya'll in this thread...

:Thugh ghost of Smilin walks amongst ya'll:

Bitches!

:popcorn:

Ensign Steve
06-25-2008, 05:58 PM
So, what did ya'll accomplish by lynching my lame ass?
What have we acomplished?

I'm confined to bitching at ya'll in this thread...
That.

Crumb
06-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Dude, all our lynches can only achieve one of two things: jack shit or game over. What the hell do you expect for the first lynch?

Smilin
06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Dude, all our lynches can only achieve one of two things: jack shit or game over. What the hell do you expect for the first lynch?

Some pie would be nice..:D'

My preference you ask?

Pecan...or maybe some blueberry pie....

With a scoop of vanilla ice-cream?

Kaythxbai!

The Tick
06-26-2008, 05:57 AM
Mmm.... pie....

Ensign Steve
06-26-2008, 06:18 AM
:caek:

Ensign Steve
06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Don't be retarded you guys. It's all right out there in the open. If town manages to lose this despite having more information than the scum, I will be really impressed.

beyelzu
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Don't be retarded you guys. It's all right out there in the open. If town manages to lose this despite having more information than the scum, I will be really impressed.

:pat:

Ensign Steve
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't patronize me, fucker.

beyelzu
06-26-2008, 05:54 PM
:rofl:

yes'm

JamesBannon
06-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Enough with the banter already! KILL THE BASTARD! :giggles:

Adam
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm glad everything's so obvious to you, dead girl! :tmtongue:

Ensign Steve
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
:stab:

Ensign Steve
06-26-2008, 07:09 PM
By the way, Megatron, this game is awesomely fun!

beyelzu
06-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Fun to watch as well.

Smilin
06-26-2008, 07:13 PM
* Smilin sais: ES walks with the dead now....:spirit:

Ensign Steve
06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Pervert.

erm... that was for beyelzu.

Smilin
06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
:D....

yah, yah.....shore it wuzz!

beyelzu
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Pervert.

erm... that was for beyelzu.

and just think it is but one of my many endearing qualities.