PDA

View Full Version : [Insert witty Wii pun here]

Crumb
09-23-2008, 12:26 AM
So I went to the store yesterday and bought a Wii. I am having great fun playing Wii Sports and Wii Play. :yup:

I know there are a few :ff: Wii owners out there and I was hoping for some game recommendations. Specifically games good for two players and games that take advantage of the Wii's capabilities.

So which Wii games have you enjoyed the most and why?

seebs
09-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Mario Kart has some excellent credentials. SMG is good for two players one of whom is less into gaming than the other.

Crumb
09-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Mario Kart has some excellent credentials.
So is it better with the wheel things or does the plain remote work well?

SMG is good for two players one of whom is less into gaming than the other.
SMG?

seebs
09-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I like the wheel things a lot. I have previously sucked at most console driving games.

SMG = Super Mario Galaxy. Has a non-traditional two-player mode. I like it.

I'm told Super Smash Brothers Brawl is excellent if you like fighting games.

Dingfod
09-23-2008, 12:44 AM
There is a Wii in my house but I have never played it.

Crumb
09-23-2008, 12:51 AM
:thankee: seebs. I will look into those games. :)

You should try it, Ding. Great stuff for gamers and non-gamers. :ffnod:

Dingfod
09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm too busy.

Uthgar the Brazen
09-23-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm too busy.

That's what she said. :rimshot:

biochemgirl
09-23-2008, 01:40 AM
Good thread. My parents are getting hubby and I a Wii for Christmas and a Wii Fit for me also if we can find one.

wei yau
09-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Here are some quick recommendations, all of these are multiplayer casual games and make good use of the motion-sensing capabilities of the Wii-mote. Sure, you'll hear a lot of "hardcore" games knock casual games, but casual gaming is all I have time for, so it suits me fine.

There are my favorite games, I can also tell you what games to avoid, if you'd like:

WarioWare:Smooth Moves (http://www.amazon.com/WarioWare-Smooth-Moves-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000FQ9YB0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1222130890&sr=8-6)
Fun, quirky and hilarious and like most of the successful Wii games, it's a collection of mini-games. It uses the Wii-motes in very funny ways. Even after completing the game in the first pass, you can play the game again with heightened difficulty settings.

Raving Rabbids 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Rayman-Raving-Rabbids-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000GEDN5E/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1222130890&sr=8-1) and 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Rayman-Raving-Rabbids-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000SQ5LPU/ref=pd_sim_vg_3):
Another collection of mini-games, basically quick and short games with fun gameplay. I prefer the first, I find it has a more cohesive storyline (such as it is). The third game is on the way and it will utilize the Wii Balance Board.

Boom Blox (http://www.amazon.com/Boom-Blox-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000YDIYFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1222131344&sr=1-1)
A very fun game, again a series of minigames. But, I think it has a very unique Wii-mote gameplay. You basically throw things to knock down blocks or use the Wii-mote to remove blocks (like in Jenga). I know, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but it is. My favorite game right now.

Joshua Adams
09-23-2008, 01:58 AM
I have previously sucked. ... I like it. ... excellent
Etc, etc.

Skydin
09-23-2008, 03:15 AM
So I went to the store yesterday and bought a Wii. I am having great fun playing Wii Sports and Wii Play. :yup:

I know there are a few :ff: Wii owners out there and I was hoping for some game recommendations. Specifically games good for two players and games that take advantage of the Wii's capabilities.

So which Wii games have you enjoyed the most and why?

Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Okami, Resident evil: Umbrella Chronicles, LoZ:TP, and Mario Kart.

Those games are all really good ones. ^_^

seebs
09-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Oh, boom blox is awesome.

Despite the "this is for little kids, right?" presentation.

Crumb
09-23-2008, 10:20 PM
casual games is really what I am looking for for the Wii. For serious gaming I have the Xbox 360. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far my short list is:
Mario Cart
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Are there any good flying games for the Wii?

wei yau
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I see you're a Mario-fanboy, Crumb.

Are you not interested in mini-games?

I've not heard of any good flying games for the Wii, my gut tells me that flight simulators might be too complicated.

Crumb
09-23-2008, 10:49 PM
I like the mini games. I was just going with those that had the most recommends. I might try WarioWare.

I guess all three of those are Mario games. :chuckle: Perhaps Mario Cart can wait since I have played previous versions. I have heard a lot of great things about Galaxy so I really would like to get that one. :yup:

Ensign Steve
09-23-2008, 11:46 PM
I really want to try playing Super Mario Galaxy. I saw some of the game play on the youtube or gamevee or whatevers, and it looked fun as hell. I'll probably buy the Wii Fit to start, and add games and peripherals as I go, and SMG is on the top of the *WANT* list. If I have the Fit and I buy SMG, do I need to buy another controller to play that?

Crumb
09-24-2008, 12:01 AM
What's Wii Fit?

Uthgar the Brazen
09-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Mario! Mario! Mario!
:cheer:

Crumb
09-24-2008, 12:28 AM
It's me, Mario!
:mario:

Ensign Steve
09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
What's Wii Fit?

It's like Wii Sport, but different. It's for fat old ladies like me who want to justify purchasing a video game system instead of a gym membership.

Ensign Steve
09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
This is Wii Fit:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Crumb
09-24-2008, 12:45 AM
That's a woman dancing in her underwear.

Dingfod
09-24-2008, 12:58 AM
So?

Ensign Steve
09-24-2008, 12:58 AM
She's not dancing. She is totally working out. I like her glasses.

Uthgar the Brazen
09-24-2008, 01:11 AM
:rofl:

ETA: Why can't I be her? :envy:

Adam
09-24-2008, 02:12 AM
The only Wii game I've spent a significant amount of time on was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. If you like Zelda, you'll like it although, honestly, it was originally developed for the Gamecube, and it shows. It doesn't take advantage of the Wii's controller at all. I guess I don't have room to talk, though. I mostly use my Wii for playing old NES games that I download.

Mariokart is fun in the stores. That's next on my want list. Teh roommate wants Umbrella Chronicles, which I'm told is a good rail shooter. Tiger Woods looks like fun, but I've had it for six months and still can't make my damn shot go straight. let me know if you figure it out.

Lady Brik
09-24-2008, 03:04 PM
The only Wii game I've spent a significant amount of time on was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Ugh. I hate that game on principle. Brik spent an entire Saturday playing it - for 13 hours straight.

:whup:

Adam
09-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Hee! It took me, seriously, two months to finish it due to a lack of just that sort of quality uninterrupted gaming time. :tmgrin:

Lady Brik
09-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Luckily he dedicated that Sunday to me, so all was well. Heh.

wei yau
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
The 20 Wii Games You Should Already Own (http://wii.ign.com/articles/913/913996p1.html)

Thought this article might be helpful.

Crumb
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
:thankee:

That has convinced me that I want Boom Blox. :unnod:

wei yau
10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
FYI: Toys R Us is running a buy two, get third free on video games, including Wii.

This promotion is also available on their website (http://www.toysrus.com)

Adam
10-15-2008, 02:29 PM
So, the roommate borrowed Umbrella Chronicles from a friend last week, and the SO bought Mario Kart. They both get a thumbs up from me.

UC is a rail shooter that takes you through the plot of all the previous Resident Evil games. It's a lot of fun with another person, but I don't think I'd enjoy it very much solo. There's something cathartic about blowing off zombies' heads while shouting "helpful" tips at a partner.

Mario Kart is Mario Kart. It's the same basic game it's always been, but the Wii wheel is a hell of a lot of fun to use. The turbo boost with the sparks is much more intuitive to use this time around. Instead of having to jerk the analog stick back and forth, you just steer into a skid until your sparks show up. Also, bikes! And you can pop wheelies by gesturing up with the wheel!

seebs
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
This is by far my favorite Mario Kart. I have never been able to steer for shit on analog sticks, but the wheel works beautifully.

All the skeptics who say it doesn't change anything: Have you spent more time using analog sticks to steer, or driving a real car? :)

Adam
10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
The wheel does seem less responsive than an analog stick in certain situations. It's fine 95% of the time, but when you have to make a particularly tight turn at precisely the right moment, the control feels a little muddy.

I'm willing to chalk it up to perception, rather than any actual controller limitation, due to the fact that it's not obvious how far you can turn the wheel left or right before turning it further stops having any effect. Using an analog stick (or a real steering wheel, for that matter), it's obvious where the limit of your ability to affect steering is, because you physically can't move your controller any further in that direction. With the Wii wheel, you're just flailing around in the air, and have to sort of guess when you're beyond the point of no return.

Adam
10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
:shakedoublepost:

erimir
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
casual games is really what I am looking for for the Wii. For serious gaming I have the Xbox 360. :)For "serious gaming"?

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but you now own both systems. I fail to see why the supposed reason you bought each one would have anything to do with what games you should buy for either one. I'm sure there are some fun casual games for the Xbox 360, and there are some excellent "gamer" games for the Wii.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a great game. I mean, if you don't like action adventure games, then sure, don't get it cuz it's not your favorite genre. But the fact that it's not a casual game and it's on the Wii rather than the Xbox is no reason to pass up literally one of the top 5 games of the past few years.

Metroid Prime 3 is also excellent. It has very good control for a first-person shooter too - aiming simply by pointing is a very different experience from any FPSs on the other consoles, and does a good job of preserving the feel of the 2D Metroid games.

Okami is also a great game. If you like Zelda games, this is very much in the same vein. I played it on the PS2, and it was great there.

Then there are the Virtual Console games... And the WiiWare games. I haven't really played that many WiiWare games, but I can say that if you like classic Mega Man action (specifically of the Mega Man 1-4 variety, with emphasis on Mega Man 2), Mega Man 9 does not disappoint. And if you think that modern video games have gone soft, you can prepare yourself for frustratingly hard levels and bosses.
The wheel does seem less responsive than an analog stick in certain situations. It's fine 95% of the time, but when you have to make a particularly tight turn at precisely the right moment, the control feels a little muddy.I dunno, I generally find the GameCube control to be superior in every way. I turn better with it, and other actions are easier to perform on it (namely, drifting into boosts, holding items behind you, doing tricks in the air, and doing wheelies with the bikes). That said, I can still do pretty well with the Wii Wheel, but if I want to get three star ratings (you earn those by staying on the track, not hitting walls, doing tricks and getting as many boosts as you can), I need to use the GC controller.

Adam
10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Yah, I think the old school controller is a bit tighter overall. The wheel has a greater fun factor, IMO, though. I may have to resort to the GC controller to get everything unlocked, but it's more fun to use the wheel, especially when other people are playing.

Crumb
10-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh I'll be getting Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. :yup: I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Wii game because it is too "serious" or vice versa (I have Lego Starwars for the Xbox afterall.) I just have a different notion of what types of games I want for the Wii. I think my focus is mainly on things that take advantage of the Wii controllers, which I hear Twilight Princess does in a big way.

Adam
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I dunno who told you that TP takes advantage of the Wii controller in a big way, but they were either lying, insane, or playing a different game than I did, therefore God exists. TP was originally developed for the Gamecube, and the Wii specific stuff is just tacked on. In theory, you use Link's sword by swinging the Wii remote around like a sword. In practice, Link does the same hyah-hyah-hyah-HYAH! attack routine he's been doing since Ocarina of Time, but instead of pushing the A button 4 times to make him do it, you jerk the Wii remote in any random direction 4 times. I'm not saying it isn't a great game, b/c it is a great game, I'm just saying that it doesn't really benefit from the innovative Wii controller at all, except maybe a bit when you go into first person aiming mode with a ranged weapon, and you can point with the Wii remote instead of aiming with an analog stick.

Crumb
10-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Ah ok. maybe I was a bit misinformed.

Adam
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Disappointingly, Zero Punctuation (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/251-Star-Wars-The-Force-Unleashed) reports that the Wii version of Force Unleashed leaves something to be desired as well, which is really too bad, because I was looking forward to swinging my Wii remote around like a lightsaber. :sadcheer:

seebs
10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Twilight Princess wins big on aiming. The boomerang/slingshot/etc. are WAY nicer in it than in any previous 3D Zelda.

I have no trouble steering in MK with the wheel. I could never learn to steer on the analog stick...

Adam
10-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Ironically, since first person aiming is the only really cool thing TP does with the Wii remote, I sort of disliked it when I was playing through the game, but that's mostly because I normally played it while I was on the bike, and I always had to stop pedaling to aim.

Speaking of which, I already have my own version of Wii Fit, only I just call it "playing any random video game while I'm on the bike", but are there any games out yet that take advantage of the balance pad thing in a cool way? Cause that thing looks like fun.

seebs
10-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Wii Fit's actually pretty decent. Wii Music supposedly has a drumkit mode requiring the balance board.

wei yau
10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
There's a "We Ski" game that uses the balance board and Nintendo has a snow boarding one coming out.

But, they all look kinda dull.

The most exciting balance board based game will be Raving Rabbids TV Party (http://rabbids.uk.ubi.com/index.php?theme=1)

pescifish
10-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I have Wii Fit questions!!

BestBuy.com or CircuitCity.com had some special on Wii Fit packages this weekend and I was trying to put something together, but I'm too ignorant to know what I need to buy. Their Wii Fit package didn't actually include the Wii Fit console which I didn't even realize until I'd almost hit the "Confirm Purchase" button.

So... for folks who know Wii Fit, what is the minimum stuff I need to buy?
And what should I add to make it nicer?

It looked to me like I needed a Wii Console (here bundled with Olympic Games) (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3347953). The Wii Fit package (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3318250). ...and... ?
Should I get the squishy mat to stick under the control board so that it doesn't slip?
How about the cloth cover for the board itself?
Do I need another type of controller/remote besides the Fit board?
Do I need any of the battery/energy packs for ... (the controllers? I can't tell what the power packs are for.)

Should I try other physical games like tennis or any other recommendations?

Oh yeah, what sort of connections will I need to my tv and/or sound system?

biochemgirl
10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
It depends..are you using it on hardwood or carpet? My mom got me a Wii and Wii fit for Christmas and also one for herself that I've been trying out lately. I find the mat to be unnecessary but that was using it on the hardwood floor. The Wii will come with a remote. You really only need that to get you started but if you get into playing games with more than one player it might be a nice addition on down the line.

The Wii comes with some sports games like tennis, boxing and I can't remember what else off the top of my head. Oh the Wii fit comes with it's own disk that has balance games, aerobics, yoga and strength training. There is a game coming out I think next month, Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009, that might be a nice addition.

There is a power pack that you can get for the Wii fit but you don't need it to get started. It's moreso for if you use the Wii fit a lot so you don't eat through a ton of batteries. The controllers also use batteries.

Can't help you with the connections since I'm never the one to hook it up :giggle:

pescifish
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks, biochemgirl!
I don't have any carpet in my house, so it will be either hardwood (laminate) if I put it in the living room or ceramic tile if I put it in my bedroom. It's the connection question that might decide where I put it.

I added some links from the ToyRUs site that wei ya provided -- from what you say, I probably could get by with just the console and the Wii Fit.

seebs
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Okay, from the top:

You need the console (you can just get the base console with "Wii Sports") and the Wii Fit game (the $90 thing including the balance board and the software). Everything else is optional.

By default, the Wii uses a composite video cable (three RCA plugs, one yellow, one white, one red) for video output. You can also get higher-quality component video cables for it, which will look better on newer TVs which support them. I think it has digital audio or something, but never looked. It needs to live sort of near the display it's on, by default, so its "sensor bar" can be hooked up to it -- but in fact, the "sensor bar" is just a pair of infrared LEDs, so you can buy wireless ones which run off batteries.

You do need a regular Wii Remote controller, but one is bundled with the system; you can also use a nunchuk for some games, but again, one is bundled with the system. So your basic price for the stuff you Must Have to play Wii Fit is $340 right now. If you want a component cable, expect to spend $20-30 or so, depending on where you get it.

You do not need to buy an extra memory device of any sort (there is built-in memory). The video quality on the composite cable is sort of mediocre, but frankly, the Wii's not really built around amazing graphics, and for Wii Fit, it'll look fine either way.

As to batteries: The regular controller takes two AAs, Wii Fit board takes 4. You can use regular batteries, or rechargable batteries, and there are third-parties who sell chargers. The Nyko chargers seem to work fine. I have heard horror stories about another one (Pelican, maybe?) which used a USB cable to charge and could wreck the controller if you hooked it up while it was turned on or some such; do research before getting any such.

The mats and such are there to be addons which cost extra money, but if you really want to do a lot of yoga, and are unable to obtain a mat for your own purposes, you may need one.

wei yau
10-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I think just the Wii and the Wii Fit should be enough of a starter package. Both Wii Sports and Wii Fit are very good games and should keep you entertained for quite some time.

The Wii comes with all the connections you will need for your TV and/or sound system. You can upgrade the video from composite to component, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

pescifish
10-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Ok! One of the reasons I asked about the connections is that my 42" LCD in the bedroom is really just a monitor (no tv tuner) and has very few non-digital inputs. I think I'm already using up the one RCA type with my old VCR. But I've got an open component connection, so that sounds like it would work. My video/stereo receiver in the living room has more options open, IIRC, but I just don't think that's the place I'd want this, although there's more floor space in there.

Thanks all of you for coming in on this so quickly -- I really was getting myself all turned around this weekend with all the options. And a bit scared when I realized I thought I had a whole Wii Fit order put together and only at the last minute realized it didn't include the actual console. :doh:

That's good to know about the battery pack thingie -- since neither location I have in mind has any USB ports, I wasn't going to consider that brand's so it's good to know the Nyko one seems ok.

seebs
10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
The Nyko one doesn't replace the batteries in the balance board, but I've never cared. My only complaint is that putting the remotes in the charger can be a bit finicky, but they may have fixed their plastic molding since. (You can't use the "jacket" covers and the charger at the same time, but frankly, unless you're planning to throw the remote, it's not much of an issue.)

BTW, they aren't kidding about using the wrist strap, and even then, try to hold on to the remote. Or just don't move too fast. Fastball practice can be a bad choice.

Ensign Steve
10-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Should I try other physical games like tennis or any other recommendations?

Everybody that I know who has played the Wii Sports (what do they have, like tennis, bowling, boxing, whatevers?) has said that they are lots of fun and also really get your heart pumping. I know whenever I get my wii I'm going to make sure I get that.

seebs
10-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Wii Sports is bundled everywhere but in Japan.

And yes, it really is astounding how much fun it is for such a simple game.

California Tanker
10-22-2008, 06:40 AM
For "serious gaming"?

+1.

If it's not on a PC, it can't be that serious.

NTM

Adam
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Pesci, one caution about the wireless sensor bars seebs mentioned. I have the Nyko one, and it eats batteries like mad. I went back to the wired one, as my Wii is near my television anyway, I just don't like that wire out where I can see it. I don't know if this is a general problem, or if it's only the Nyko.

For "serious gaming"?

+1.

If it's not on a PC, it can't be that serious.

Pfft! If it's not on a PC, and you're not rushing home from work every day, M-Th, to make your 7pm raid, it can't be that serious! :tmwink:

Isn't "serious gaming" an oxymoron?

wei yau
10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Isn't "serious gaming" an oxymoron?

You are!

California Tanker
10-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Actually, no. There's quite an industry in Serious Games. Basically games which are good enough and mature enough to be used for what would ordinarily not be considered gaming industries. For example, using a commercially available tank game to train militaries.

NTM

pescifish
10-26-2008, 04:54 AM
I tried buying my Wii and Wii Fit on Wednesday and found out that all the stores that were running bundled specials last weekend had sold out online!

My local Circuit City had a Wii Console (with Wii Sport) in stock in-store, so I got that. But not much else in-stock. After some searching, found an online place for Wii Fit (and I think I bought Dance Dance Revolution or something like that.)

I set up the Wii in my living room and had a blast with the Wii Sports tennis, baseball, bowling, golf and boxing. I suck at all of them, though I thought I was so great 'cuz I knocked out my first fight in the first round. Found out I was one-tenth the skill level of a pro (and my first opponent was worse than that!)

But all of the games got me moving, the bowling got me winded, so it's a success! And according to the fitness checker using the Sports games, I have the Wii Fitness level of a 76 year old. Great! Lots of room for improvement, right?!

I'll be able to use the wired sensor bar since the place I want it to be is right next to the console anyway. I ordered the Nyko power pack for the balance board so that I can basically have it plugged in instead of using up batteries.

Oh yeah, I also made up a silly Mii avatar/doll for myself. And then had enough fun with that to make one up for Titus, Sadie, Mojave and Flutter so we could all parade around in the Mii plaza.

I'll get the Wii Fit board next week sometime.

seebs
10-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Awesome.

Making Miis is way more fun than it has any right to be. Be sure to explore the little sports minigames and unlock them all; my favorite so far is the power-throw bowling minigame.

Ensign Steve
10-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Oh yeah, I also made up a silly Mii avatar/doll for myself. And then had enough fun with that to make one up for Titus, Sadie, Mojave and Flutter so we could all parade around in the Mii plaza.

Let's see! :eager:

Crumb
10-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Making Miis is way more fun than it has any right to be. Be sure to explore the little sports minigames and unlock them all; my favorite so far is the power-throw bowling minigame.
Yes, power bowling is great fun! :yup: And the boxing ones give you a workout. :D Can we take screen shots of our Miis? I made one that looks like me. :giggle:

Adam
10-27-2008, 04:10 PM
The coolest thing about Miis is when they randomly show up in games. I was racing in Mario Kart the other day and rammed into a car that pulled out into the road in front of my kart. I forgot to be pissed at myself for my awful karting when I realized that the car was being driven my my roommate's Mii.

Crumb
10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah, that is great. My sister and my niece made Miis when they visited and they appear in other games now.

These are the games in my collection now:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Super Mario Galaxy
Boom Blox
Samba De Amigo (http://www.amazon.com/Samba-Amigo-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000XZZ8C2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1225121216&sr=8-2) - Very fun game, gets you dancing to the music playing the maracas. :yup:
Deca Sports - Not a great game, I really only like the archery and the curling. Does anyone know any well done multi sport games beyond Wii Sports?

(I have been buying way to many games... But some of these were gifts)

pescifish
11-01-2008, 12:57 AM
The coolest thing about Miis is when they randomly show up in games. I was racing in Mario Kart the other day and rammed into a car that pulled out into the road in front of my kart. I forgot to be pissed at myself for my awful karting when I realized that the car was being driven my my roommate's Mii.Yeah! Flutter hits a mean homerun in baseball. :flutter:

Let's see! :eager:Flutter, Mojave, Me, Sadie, Titus

Ensign Steve
11-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Awesome!

SharonDee
12-05-2008, 02:33 AM
So ... I bought a Wii after playing with my sister's over the Thanksgiving holiday. But I can't hook it up because I can't find any unused holes on my TV. :sadcheer:

The game my sister loved, and one I couldn't get into, was something about cow racing. You ride this cow down a lane, bowling over scarecrows and leaping hurdles. Totally weird. :weirdtv:

Adam
12-05-2008, 03:11 AM
You need to get something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SB-V31G-Selector-3-Component-Functionality/dp/B000092YPL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228443064&sr=8-1), Sharon.

seebs
12-05-2008, 04:01 AM
So ... I bought a Wii after playing with my sister's over the Thanksgiving holiday. But I can't hook it up because I can't find any unused holes on my TV. :sadcheer:

Oh noes!

This is why there are switchboxes.

The game my sister loved, and one I couldn't get into, was something about cow racing. You ride this cow down a lane, bowling over scarecrows and leaping hurdles. Totally weird. :weirdtv:

I think that's one of the pack-ins of Wii Play, which is popular mostly because it's sold with a Wiimote for only $10 more than the Wiimote.

SharonDee
12-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Since I haven't used my DVD/VCR combo in a coon's age, I disconnected it and hooked up my Wii in its place. At the moment, the console is using my neighbor's wireless Internet connection--I forgot the password to my own :blush2:--to update itself.

Oh noes!

This is why there are switchboxes.Yeah, I'll get me one of those if I decide I can't live without the old VCR thing-a-ma-whatsis. Time will tell.

I think that's one of the pack-ins of Wii Play, which is popular mostly because it's sold with a Wiimote for only $10 more than the Wiimote.
That sounds about right. They do have an extra Wiimote so I guess that's where it came from.

Hurry up, console. I'm ready to set up my Mii now. :waiting:

And then ...
:strike:

seebs
12-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Our nephew would say "I got a wii sports!" whenever he knocked down all ten pins on a throw.

BTW, do not doubt that children generalize from video games to real experiences; he wanted us to take him "real bowling".

pescifish
12-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Can we take screen shots of our Miis? I made one that looks like me. :giggle:
Oh! I wanna see!

I'm sorry I missed this question before. I don't have my Wii hooked up to Internet or anything else. I produced pictures of my Miis the lo-tech way: I took a camera photo (I think from my cell phone?) of my tv screen.

So all youse guys, shoot your Miis and post 'em here!
Please. :yup:

Ensign Steve
12-06-2008, 03:38 AM
I will after xmas. I decided to buy a wii of my very own, but I'm not allowed to buy things for myself in december.

pescifish
12-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Damn, that's a sucky restriction. :sadcheer:

A smart one, though. I think I've already bought myself several presents.

Ha!All those Christmas presents I've already bought for myself were purchased in October and November. Would that squeak your rule, ES?

Ensign Steve
12-06-2008, 03:45 AM
November's a little touchy, but the rest of the year is fair game.

SharonDee
12-06-2008, 04:05 PM
How lame am I? Here I have this cool new Wii console and I'm playing old Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros. games on it. Tsk. It's the return of the separated thumbnail for me.

Adam
12-06-2008, 04:28 PM
That's mostly what I use mine for.

Crumb
12-07-2008, 06:04 AM
I'll totally try the low tech way and post a Mii shot soon. :unnod: I also have been doing the Mii Sharing thing and stealing other peoples creations. So now I play sports with michael Jackson, Conan O'Brian, C3PO, Batman and Robin, Pee Wee Herman and many more great characters.

It also seems like everyone I know is getting a Wii for Christmas. Crazy. I guess I am a trend setter in my little circle of acquaintances. :joecool:

SharonDee
12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I also have been doing the Mii Sharing thing and stealing other peoples creations.Yeah, me too.

Here's a shot of my Miis:

Ensign Steve
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I see Michael Jackson and Napolean Dynamite on the right, but who are the two on the left?

Crumb
12-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have the same MJ. :giggles:

SharonDee
12-07-2008, 10:53 PM
The one on the far left is Barack Obama. The chick next to him is my own Mii creation.

Re MJ: It's a good likeness, ain't it?

It's fun to go bowling now because I have Michael Jackson, Napoleon Dynamite, and Barack Obama cheering me on. :)

erimir
12-08-2008, 06:52 AM
The one next to Obama isn't Sarah Palin?

Crumb
12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's Mii

http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4745&stc=1&d=1229278236

Ensign Steve
12-14-2008, 08:20 PM
:eager: I wants my wiiiii!!!

Uthgar the Brazen
12-18-2008, 04:19 AM
A Wii cometh! It's supposed to arrive Friday! Extra games 'n stuff on Tuesday (:sadcheersanta:), but :w00t:

:eager:

Uthgar the Brazen
12-21-2008, 02:27 AM
Wii = fun!

Club Nintendo website and trying to be able to access my account = royal p.i.t.a.

Seriously, I'm very sure of my username and password. I just created them, after all. But sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. Making. Me. Crazy. :glare:

I emailed support because everything points to this being a problem at their end. We'll see if I hear back from them by January.

Crumb
12-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Club Nintendo? :chin:

Uthgar the Brazen
12-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Not that kind of club. I'd never get past the bouncers, and if I did, I doubt I'd fit through the door.

biochemgirl
12-29-2008, 04:23 AM
We got our Wii home and set up :slide:

I've tried out the Jillian Michaels Fitness game and that's a pretty good workout for strength training but not cardio so much. Other then that I've just really been having fun play Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Malloch is playing Call of Duty World of War right now.

Uthgar the Brazen
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM
I went nuts at the Wii Store yesterday. I now have all the Zeldas, and the Marios are beginning to accumulate. :eager:

Crumb
12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I got Mario Kart for Christmas and bought my gf the Wii Fit. We haven't tried it yet with her fam over. I'm sure we'll break it out tonight.

Uthgar the Brazen
12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
In front of the fam?

SharonDee
12-29-2008, 10:33 PM
My Wii Fit arrived today. I already weigh 30 pounds lighter because the balance board is on carpet. Woot!

But my Wii Fit age is 60. Oy! I need to work out.

Crumb
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
In front of the fam?
They all left today! :woohoo:

Uthgar the Brazen
12-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Nekky Nintendo @ Crumb's tonight! Everyone's invited!

:cheer:

Crumb
12-30-2008, 12:27 AM
:nope:

Uthgar the Brazen
12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Oh.

Well, don't look outside, mmkay?

Crumb
12-30-2008, 01:08 AM
:narrow:

biochemgirl
12-31-2008, 02:11 AM
I just beat Malloch two times in a row playing Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels. He's still :butthurt: about it. :giggle:

Angakuk
12-31-2008, 07:23 AM
I hear that they are coming out with a pocket size version of Wii. It is going to be called Wee Wii. That will certainly take the piss out of the Nintendo DS.

Ensign Steve
12-31-2008, 07:31 AM
:rimshot:

pescifish
01-06-2009, 02:44 AM
:eager: I wants my wiiiii!!!DIdja, didja gettit? :eager:

Ensign Steve
01-06-2009, 03:51 AM
No, I spent all my Wii money on a Coach purse. :blush:

Now I need to wait a couple of paychecks.

Crumb
01-06-2009, 03:54 AM
:rofl:

viscousmemories
01-06-2009, 04:24 AM
My nephews got a Wii and after a brief go at it I decided I need one too.

They seem to be in scarce supply these days, though...

pescifish
01-06-2009, 04:35 AM
No, I spent all my Wii money on a Coach purse. :blush: Heh. You just reminded me that I meant to harrass you to post a pic of your new purse when you first mentioned it.

:shopping:

I ended up buying all sorts of stuff over my holiday break. It's amazing how many and what sorts of things can be categorized as "part of the remodel" when one wants to. Silly me, I actually did secure sufficient funding/budget for realistic remodeling [flooring! painting! cabinets! dishwasher! countertops! sink! hood! faucets! refrigerator! oven! microwave! washer/dryer! home stereos (:girlthink:) new bedroom chair (:chin:)! new mattress set! new hutch (:yes!:)! tanzanite ring (:nono:)! George Foreman spin fryer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EU1GYE) (:think:)! ]

That is to say, wildly exorbitant amounts of :money: (at least to my thinking.)

viscousmemories
01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
I thought for sure I'd be RickRolled when I clicked on that spin fryer, but nope; it exists. And now I want one.

pescifish
01-06-2009, 05:06 AM
:omg: It's on my front porch, according to Amazon.com's tracker! I need something to fry, right NOW!

livius drusus
01-06-2009, 05:09 AM
ONION RINGS!!1 Everyone has an onion lying around at any given time, no?

Ensign Steve
01-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Heh. You just reminded me that I meant to harrass you to post a pic of your new purse when you first mentioned it.

Ta-Dah! (http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=12570&category_id=1960)

George Foreman spin fryer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EU1GYE) (:think:)! ]

Oh my god! Do have me over to fry things!

pescifish
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Wow! I can totally see you with that purse, ES!!! Excellent.

Well, I did not have onions (used so often that I am out since I haven't been out of the house much for over 3 weeks :grocery:), but I had broccoli, leeks, snickers bars (:sadno: :rolleyes: but that might be good, right?), jalapenos, those chiles whose name I keep forgetting but the supermarket (incorrectly, I believe) calls pasillo.

What I don't have is 6 gallons of oil (ok, all I need is 2 liters, but it probably takes me 3 months to get through 2 liters of oil and I don't have it!)

viscousmemories
01-07-2009, 04:41 AM
So as much as I appreciate fine purses and friers, any tips on where to get a Wii?

seebs
01-07-2009, 05:55 AM
So as much as I appreciate fine purses and friers, any tips on where to get a Wii?

Check places like Target and Kmart fairly often and you may get lucky. I've found them a few times.

The stock is especially low right now, of course.

Crumb
01-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Nintendo likes to keep the stock low. The people at Best Buy told me when they were expecting some and I just showed up then. The good thing is that the price is the same everywhere so take it where ever you can get it.

seebs
01-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Nintendo likes to keep the stock low.

I actually don't think they do. They've been ramping up production to unheard-of levels for quite a long time now. I think they just don't want to commit to a huge production increase, fill demand right away, and then have a ton of production capacity they no longer need.

wei yau
01-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Between Halloween and Thanksgiving, I saw Wiis just about everywhere. Most Targets I visited had at least half a dozen in stock and one Best Buy had something like two or three dozen on the floor.

Echoing what seebs said, keep trying Target and Toys R Us, etc.

Crumb
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Or maybe order one online somewhere. That's what I finally did to get the Wii Fit because I couldn't find one anywhere; ordered it from Circuit City.

biochemgirl
01-08-2009, 01:23 AM
My mom got our Wii online in a bundle with a few games and some accessories. I think she got it from Walmart and at the time it had free shipping as well.

biochemgirl
01-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Ahhh! I can't wait for this!

Wii Sports: Resorts (http://e3.nintendo.com/wii/wiisports2resort/index.html)

viscousmemories
01-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the tips, peeps. I'll keep looking.

viscousmemories
01-08-2009, 04:25 AM
I used Wii Tracker (http://wiitracker.com) to find it in stock at eCost (http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Nintendo+Wii/Nintendo/RVLSWFSP/41439378.aspx?navid=155441514).

$350 - Includes Wii Console, Wii Sports, Sensor Bar, AV Cable, Wii Stand, a Wii Remote, & Nunchuk Controller.

Seems to be a limited time offer.

Crumb
01-08-2009, 05:53 AM
For that it should only be $250. :chin: At least that's what I paid.

viscousmemories
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
With Wii Sports and the nunchuck controller? I thought $250 was for the console alone.

Crumb
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh maybe I'm wrong. I thought it came with one controller. Even so with the controllers at $40 and the nunchucks at $20 that's $40 too much for them.

The one at amazon comes with the remote but not the nunchuck for $255.

Amazon.com: Wii: Video Games (http://www.amazon.com/Wii-nintendo/dp/B0009VXBAQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1231433761&sr=8-8)

seebs
01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
No, the $250 is the console with cable, Wii Sports, controller, and nunchuk. That's the canonical description -- $350 is a pretty hefty markup.

viscousmemories
01-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Ouch. Make that like $400 w/ tax and shipping. I should've done a little more research.

So, how to rationalize this to make myself feel better?

I have a new Wii despite the fact that they're out of stock like everywhere!!!1! :excited:

Now I have to re-read this thread for game suggestions...

seebs
01-13-2009, 03:09 AM
A little bit of a premium now and then for something hard to get isn't unthinkable. For the Wii, that's probably cheaper than hiring someone at minimum wage to find you one... :)