PDA

View Full Version : Gallery

Sweetie
02-25-2005, 04:10 AM
My pics are a bit too large. Immediately after putting them up I wanted to edit and resize. Are they fine the way they are or should I resize or how do you do that or?

viscousmemories
02-25-2005, 04:25 AM
They look fine the way they are to me, Sweetie. But resizing isn't an option in the gallery software, so if you want to resize 'em you'll have to do it on your own PC and replace the pic in the gallery. Someone here would probably help you do the resizing if you don't have the software to do it yourself.

Ronin
02-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Well...my vote is that they're fine just the way they are, Sweetie.

I do understand the compulsion to resize whenever they seem to come across too big, though.

I had the same problem over at the photos thread at IIDB a while ago. I now have software to shrinky dink photos down to more reasonable file sizes and try to keep them small...if only to save space on the board.

The pix I put up here at FF were already resized rather small to fit the limited IIDB upload standard (which was the only place I still have those zoo photos).

It has been a crazy few days down south and I hope to get around to posting some more recent pix soon.

:snapshot:

livius drusus
02-25-2005, 04:31 AM
The software does automatically shrink pictures which are above its size limit, so you don't have to worry about making huge pics small enough to fit, Ronin. Assuming you don't hit that image size ceiling, all sizing choices have to made using separate software.

I think they're fine as they are, Sweetie, but vm is right. If you want to make them smaller, you'd have to use picture editing software to shrink them, click on Image Tools - Edit Image, and upload the smaller pic to replace the bigger.

Ronin
02-25-2005, 04:56 AM
The software does automatically shrink pictures which are above its size limit, so you don't have to worry about making huge pics small enough to fit, Ronin. Assuming you don't hit that image size ceiling, all sizing choices have to made using separate software.

Does it really?

That kicks ass.

livius drusus
02-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes and hell yes. :D

Ronin
03-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Is it just me or are we unable to access additional smilies for our comments in the gallery?

:scratch:

livius drusus
03-05-2005, 04:46 PM
It's not just you, I'm afraid. The smiley search hack is, as you know, a customization of the default and we haven't figured out how to make it work in the Gallery yet. We will though, never fear.

Meanwhile, the smiley text still works, so you can always search on the forum and then just type text into your gallery replies manually. It's a pain, I know, but for now that's the best we can do.

Ronin
03-05-2005, 04:54 PM
It's not just you, I'm afraid. The smiley search hack is, as you know, a customization of the default and we haven't figured out how to make it work in the Gallery yet. We will though, never fear.

Meanwhile, the smiley text still works, so you can always search on the forum and then just type text into your gallery replies manually. It's a pain, I know, but for now that's the best we can do.

I'm glad I asked...thanks, liv!

:bow:

godfry n. glad
03-05-2005, 08:11 PM
54 -

Since we're near the subject, did you get a PM from me about photo order within my ToT thread? I sent one from a reply of yours in the Gallery (click on your avatar, pull down menu, select "send livius drusus a PM", create, edit and send. It's not like you to not reply, so I rather assumed that although it seems as though one is sending, one actually isn't.

Is it, or isn't it?

I removed the Great Wall and Peking duck pictures to backtrack and post up some Nijo Castle detail.

godfry

(p.s. - a rillyrilly big thanks for the ToT thread.... :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: )

livius drusus
03-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Hmmm... I have no recollection of such a PM, godfry. You're right of course that I would certainly have responded. Let me check my inbox and i'll be right back.

Nope. Not a whisper. Could you send me a test PM in the same way, godfry?

Oh, and you own that category, so you should be able to create subcategories in order to perfectly arrange your pics by country, date or whatever strikes your fancy. Just click on My Stuff (on the toolbar at the top of the page), Category Admin, and fill in the blanks. :)

godfry n. glad
03-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Hmmm... I have no recollection of such a PM, godfry. You're right of course that I would certainly have responded. Let me check my inbox and i'll be right back.

Nope. Not a whisper. Could you send me a test PM in the same way, godfry?

Oh, and you own that category, so you should be able to create subcategories in order to perfectly arrange your pics by country, date or whatever strikes your fancy. Just click on My Stuff (on the toolbar at the top of the page), Category Admin, and fill in the blanks. :)

Okay. Test PM off from your reply to the gateway detail photo. You'll know it's the test.

Thanks. That'll help a lot. I'll play with it. I'm going to try to group by city and place in chrono order within.

livius drusus
03-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Got it and replied, godfry. The only thing I can think of is that Brian was working on the software just as you PMd me. Oh well, it works now.

I'm looking forward to seeing your categories arranged. That kind of thing makes me happy. :pleased:

godfry n. glad
03-05-2005, 11:30 PM
:qex:
godfry

godfry n. glad
03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Well, I've been to the "My Stuff" and found that it gives me two options: "My Favorites" and "My Subscriptions". In each of these it is possible to do some rearrangement (usually by some specified ordering), but it is not possible to rearrange a group of photos one pic at a time (at least I have not found a way to do so) and I don't see where I can create subcategories within the ToT thread. :computer:

If I could, I'd create a file of Kyoto pictures and reorder all the pix within that file in chrono order (not in the order I posted them, but the order I created them). Then I would create the Beijing file and start uploading pix to it....:boythink:

:cletus: godfry

livius drusus
03-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Crap. You're supposed to have a Category Admin field there too on account of your ownership of the ToT subcat. Sigh... Were you actually on the ToT index when you clicked on "My Stuff"?

I'll check with Brian too to see if I've done something wrong in the setup.

godfry n. glad
03-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Crap. You're supposed to have a Category Admin field there too on account of your ownership of the ToT subcat. Sigh... Were you actually on the ToT index when you clicked on "My Stuff"?

:yup: Yup, I sure was. There was no Category Admin field to select. :search:

Ensign Steve
03-08-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm confused. I thought I uploaded three photos to the members gallery, but when I go there, I don't see my name. Did I upload it into someone else's gallery? Or huh?

viscousmemories
03-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Unless something's broken you can't upload anything to someone else's gallery. To create an Ensign Steve directory in the Member's Gallery you have to fill out all the fields in the upload form, including selecting "Members Gallery" for category, and entering "Ensign Steve" under "The username these files should be uploaded under." If you did all that and it didn't work, all I can say is try again and let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

Ensign Steve
03-08-2005, 02:49 AM
Oh, I think I forgot to put my name. So... where did it upload the pics to? heehee

Edit: oh I guess they're nowhere, cuz I have uploaded "0 bytes" according to the thingie. Weird, cuz it gave me what looked like an upload confirmation, but I didn't look at it all that close.

Ensign Steve
03-08-2005, 02:52 AM
... and entering "Ensign Steve" under "The username these files should be uploaded under."

Where is this field? I don't see it.

Edit: also, why does it have spaces to upload three files, but the only one field each for image title and description?

viscousmemories
03-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Sorry, my mistake. You don't have that field. I don't know why it wouldn't work if you just make sure to select "Members gallery" when you do the upload. Let me know if it continues to not work for you.

I don't think there's any reason you can upload three images with one title and description beyond the fact that it might come in handy. Like if I wanted to show off my stylin' new motorcycle I might want to upload three different shots of it under the title "Motorcycle", with the description "My stylin' new motorcycle".

godfry n. glad
03-08-2005, 04:37 AM
I don't think there's any reason you can upload three images with one title and description beyond the fact that it might come in handy. Like if I wanted to show off my stylin' new motorcycle I might want to upload three different shots of it under the title "Motorcycle", with the description "My stylin' new motorcycle".

[voice of experience] Yep, that's pretty much how it works. Whatever you put in the title and description box will appear on all three pix. It allows rudimentary grouping of pix. [/voe]

Ensign Steve
03-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Ah, okie! I'll give it another try.

Ensign Steve
03-08-2005, 04:44 AM
:qthanks:
:yup:

Thanks guys, I got it. Now the next big question is, can I delete?!

vm, you got a motorcycle?

viscousmemories
03-08-2005, 04:54 AM
I don't know if you can delete, but it's too late for me to research it. I'm tarred.

No, I didn't get a motorcycle.

godfry n. glad
03-08-2005, 05:21 AM
:qthanks:
:yup:

Thanks guys, I got it. Now the next big question is, can I delete?!

vm, you got a motorcycle?

No, no motorcycle. It was merely an illustrative example.

Yes, Ensign, you can delete. I know, because I have. I've posted up six China pictures and then took them down. We're trying to figure out how I can get authority to group and reorder the pix in my Tightwads on Tour category.

I'd have to go look on the delete, which I can't do because of my suboptimal home dialup strategy, but I think it's in the pull down menu just beyond the upper right corner of your picture.

Crumb
03-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Yeah godfry, the menu you are referring to is called "Image Tools". Just click "Edit Image" and then click the delete box. I think it is the above the image and the edit tools.

:)

godfry n. glad
03-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah godfry, the menu you are referring to is called "Image Tools". Just click "Edit Image" and then click the delete box. I think it is the above the image and the edit tools.

:)

Thass zit!

godfry n. glad
03-10-2005, 08:44 PM

I'll check with Brian too to see if I've done something wrong in the setup.

Any headway on this?

Not being pushy, just curious.

I do, however, have the set of Beijing pix staged, awaiting the opening of the folder for them.

I beginning to see that there really aren't all that many folks who want to see them, so I'm not real worried (particularly since one of the most enthusiastic has been you, liv).

godfry

livius drusus
03-11-2005, 12:17 AM
We're still trying to figure out why the category admin isn't showing up for you, godfry. Everyone should have that option because everyone can create subcategories in their areas of the Members Gallery. I promise we're working on it, though.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll enjoy perusing your travel pics, godfry. We just need to iron out the kinks and publicize it better. Poor AspenMama didn't even know we had a gallery until a couple of days ago.

:optimist:

godfry n. glad
03-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Hey... It's probably because I'm technologically cursed. Mechanical/electronic equipment tends to take an active dislike to me. Or, at least it seems that way much of the time. It's a wonder I haven't become an all out Luddite.... being content to remain as an active recruiter for the Lead Pencil Society.

Anyway, I just finished staging the Xi'an pictures. The First Emperor's tomb, the Imperial Palace, the city walls, the Drum Tower and the Shaanxi Musicians and Dancers show.

Onward and upward.

I'll await notice for a trial.

godfry

viscousmemories
03-14-2005, 01:05 AM
This has been resolved, godfry. We had set "Users can create subcategories" to 'yes', not realizing that we had to also set "Users can create categories" to 'yes' in another location or the right to create subcategories would be overridden.

You should now see the "Category Admin" option under "My Stuff" in the menu bar. From there you just click the "Add Category" button and make up a name and description, then specify that you want to create the subcategory under the "Tightwads on Tour" category.

godfry n. glad
03-14-2005, 05:53 PM
:hairpull:

Okay...

I went to the gallery, thence to ToT page and managed to set up three subcategories: Kyoto, Beijing and Xi'an. So far, so good.

Then I noticed that all the photos I'd already uploaded were still in the ToT category. I started looking for a way to move them from the category to the Kyoto subcategory... I had no luck at that.

Then, I decided I'd try the "edit" button on the category, but still no way to do anything other than create and delete subcategories. I'm still not quite sure what I'm expected to do to move images from one category to another.

In the process, I tried editing the title to change ToT with "godfry drags..." I managed that, but when it came time to select a category in which to place the edited category, it listed "Travel" (in bold, no less, unlike the other options), but it would not allow me to select it. So, I selected the one above it, Members Gallery. Consequently, my entire thread is now in the Members Gallery, rather than in Travel.

:qsigh:
godfry

livius drusus
03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
It's okay, godfry. We'll get this working just right, I promise. :yup:

Using my superpowers, I brought your subcategory back underneath Travel. I couldn't really fix the moving your pics so they're in the right subcategory thing, because the mass move option in the Admin Control Panel requires that I know which pics go where. Your only option that I know of is to edit every individual picture and change the category they're in to be one of the new subcats you've created.

Huge pain in the ass, I know, but I think that's pretty much what you've gotta do.

Skep
03-14-2005, 06:07 PM
I posted a pic of my doggie. There's a reply. How do I read the reply? :scratch:

viscousmemories
03-14-2005, 06:21 PM
I posted a pic of my doggie. There's a reply. How do I read the reply? :scratch:
Click on the image and scroll down.

livius drusus
03-14-2005, 06:24 PM
You should just be able to click on the picture and scroll down to read the replies. If you can't see anything, it may be because you have the user info in posts listed on the left instead of on top (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43660#post43660).

viscousmemories
03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
You should just be able to click on the picture and scroll down to read the replies. If you can't see anything, it may be because you have the user info in posts listed on the left instead of on top (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43660#post43660).
Oh yeah, I suppose that's a more likely problem than he didn't think to scroll down. :giggle:

It occurs to us that Brian never responded to the thread where we raised the issue at his site (he's a busy guy) so we've gone ahead and opened a support ticket. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon for those of you who prefer the user info on the left. :)

godfry n. glad
03-14-2005, 06:37 PM
It's okay, godfry. We'll get this working just right, I promise. :yup:

Using my superpowers, I brought your subcategory back underneath Travel. I couldn't really fix the moving your pics so they're in the right subcategory thing, because the mass move option in the Admin Control Panel requires that I know which pics go where. Your only option that I know of is to edit every individual picture and change the category they're in to be one of the new subcats you've created.

Huge pain in the ass, I know, but I think that's pretty much what you've gotta do.

I suspected as much.

I was rather hoping that I could click and drag...heh.

Then I thought, hey, wouldn't it be great if you could upload a group of pix to a category and then order them within the category? But no....it seems you have to enter them in order and then have the option of reverse ordering them....big whoop.

Also...as I'm entering these new categories, I note that the first entered drops to after the second, the third comes ahead of the second, etc. Instead of chronological, it comes out reverse chronological. Does this mean I have to enter all my subcategories from the most recent first to the most time distant last in order to have them displayed in chronological order?

godfry

Ah, well...

Skep
03-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks, liv. That was it. I thought I had read the solution to the problem somewhere but I couldn't find it. Thanks again. :)

viscousmemories
03-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks, liv. That was it. I thought I had read the solution to the problem somewhere but I couldn't find it. Thanks again. :)
And like magic, Brian has resolved the issue for us. :woohoo:

It is now possible to see replies to images in the gallery regardless of whether you choose to have the member info on the left or top of your posts.

Skep
03-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Once again, thanks to Brian for fixing the problem and thanks to vm & liv for their outstanding efforts to make this such a great place to hang out at.

http://skeptech.net/emotipad/cache/Thanks2.gif

godfry n. glad
03-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Once again, thanks to Brian for fixing the problem and thanks to vm & liv for their outstanding efforts to make this such a great place to hang out at.

Ditto.

My Beijing pix are up.

livius drusus
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Also...as I'm entering these new categories, I note that the first entered drops to after the second, the third comes ahead of the second, etc. Instead of chronological, it comes out reverse chronological. Does this mean I have to enter all my subcategories from the most recent first to the most time distant last in order to have them displayed in chronological order?

I'm sorry for overlooking this question, godfry. Unfortunately it's a global setting in the Admin Control Panel: arrange categories by upload date, most recent first. Since that seems the most reasonable way for people to browse stuff generally, I don't think we should change that default right now.

The good news is I can order your categories by hand however you wish. Just post the list of how you'd like them to appear and it shall be done. :)

godfry n. glad
03-17-2005, 05:21 PM

I'm sorry for overlooking this question, godfry. Unfortunately it's a global setting in the Admin Control Panel: arrange categories by upload date, most recent first. Since that seems the most reasonable way for people to browse stuff generally, I don't think we should change that default right now.

The good news is I can order your categories by hand however you wish. Just post the list of how you'd like them to appear and it shall be done. :)

Ah, good. I'd hoped as much.

I'm entering the individual pix in each subcategory in reverse order, which I've done in the Beijing category. This I can handle, but I'm not prepared to put up the whole thing in reverse order from Frankfurt to Kyoto. I was thinking about putting up the whole thing (with my ordering the pix within each subcat) and having you reverse all the subcats when I'm done. But I think that having you reverse the order of the existing three subcats (Kyoto on top, then Beijing, then Xi'an) and then I'll PM you when I'd like the newest category I create moved to the bottom.

Would that work?

godfry

livius drusus
03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
That would totally work, but if you feel the urge to fix it on a subcat by subcat basis, feel free to drop me a line. Hell, now that the existing three are happily reversed, I might just move the new ones down to the bottom as you create them. :frolic:

viscousmemories
03-17-2005, 05:56 PM

You're welcome, Skeptoid. It pleases us to please you. :)

godfry n. glad
03-17-2005, 07:11 PM
That would totally work, but if you feel the urge to fix it on a subcat by subcat basis, feel free to drop me a line. Hell, now that the existing three are happily reversed, I might just move the new ones down to the bottom as you create them. :frolic:

That'd work, too. :yup:

:bouquet: