PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Yard - Peanut Gallery

Crumb
05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Scotland Yard (Game Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Yard_(game)))

Scotland Yard is a detective game played on a map of London.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/ScotlandYard1024.png

The map consists of numbered locations connected by different forms of transportation: Taxi (yellow), Bus (green), Underground (red) and ferry (black in the Thames). The game is played by players using tickets to move on particular forms of transport from one location to another.

The two sides are a team of detectives (5) and a single fugitive. The goal of the detectives are to capture the fugitive by occupying the same space as the fugitive on the same turn. The goal of the fugitive is to avoid capture.

The play is turn based. Each detective starts with a certain number of each type of ticket and can use a single ticket each turn to move along the appropriate line from one location to the next location on that line. For instance, if I am at location 67 I can use a taxi ticket to go to 68, or a bus ticket to go to 41, or an underground ticket to go to 13. The detective's moves are all public even to the fugitive, they can post their moves in thread. The fugitive's location is only revealed on specific turns(3rd, 8th, 13th, and 18th), all his moves will be submitted privately. Otherwise all the detectives have to go on is what type of transport the fugitive is taking.

You should submit a move by stating the transport being used and the number of your origin and destination. For example: Taxi: 67 to 68

Tickets

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/TktTaxi.png - Detectives start with 10 taxi tickets, fugitive has an infinite number. Each ticket is good for a trip from one yellow node to the next yellow node along a yellow path.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/TktBus.png - Detectives start with 8 bus tickets, fugitive has an infinite number. Each ticket is good for a trip from one green node to the next green node along a green path.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/TktUnd.png - Detectives start with 4 underground tickets, fugitive has an infinite number. Each ticket is good for a trip from one red node to the next red node along a red path.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/TktBlack.png - The fugitive starts with 5 black tickets. These tickets allow the fugitive to travel by any mode of transportation (including the ferry routes) without revealing his mode of transport.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/Txt2times.png - The fugitive starts with 2 2x tickets. These tickets allow the fugitive to travel twice by any mode of transportation (not ferry) in a single turn. Just as a normal move the tickets used for both moves will be revealed to the detectives.

Ending The Game

The game can end in two ways:
1. A detective moves to a location occupied by the fugitive. The game ends immediately and the detectives win.
2. All the detectives can no longer move; they are either out of tickets or stuck at a location without the proper ticket to move elsewhere. The game ends and the fugitive wins.

When the game is over, the path of the fugitive will be revealed.

Crumb
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
So would anyone be interested in playing Scotland Yard? :popcorn:

LadyShea
05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Sure, I need a bigger map though.

Crumb
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Bigger map (http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/ScotlandYard1850.jpg)

godfry n. glad
05-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Sure...I'll take part.

godfry n. glad
05-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm assuming that the fugitive makes the first move each turn. Is that correct?

If everyone has only one move each turn (except for the 2X), and the end coming when a detective moves into a location where the fugitive is, has to mean the fugitive has already moved to that location during that turn and cannot flee the detective by using a transport.

Also, do dectectives HAVE to move each turn? Can they sit tight for a turn? For more than one turn?

Crumb
05-08-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm assuming that the fugitive makes the first move each turn. Is that correct?

If everyone has only one move each turn (except for the 2X), and the end coming when a detective moves into a location where the fugitive is, has to mean the fugitive has already moved to that location during that turn and cannot flee the detective by using a transport.

Also, do dectectives HAVE to move each turn? Can they sit tight for a turn? For more than one turn?
Good questions! :)

Fugitive moves first, then the detectives. The fugitive cannot flee, once a detective occupies his spot the game is over.

Everyone has to move each turn.

Crumb
05-08-2009, 12:29 AM
1. LadyShea
2. godfry n. glad

godfry n. glad
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Detectives can communicate and coordinate off-list?

Deadlokd
05-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Do the detectives find out if the crook has already been where they land? Otherwise it's all a game of chance.

Crumb
05-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Detectives can communicate and coordinate off-list?
Yes.

Crumb
05-08-2009, 04:03 AM
Do the detectives find out if the crook has already been where they land? Otherwise it's all a game of chance.
No. But it is not a game of chance. The detectives learn the fugitive's position 4 times during the game and they are shown what transport the fugitive is using, if they work together they can close in on his possible locations and get him. :yup:

godfry n. glad
05-08-2009, 04:09 AM
I'm not clear how knowing what transport the fugitive has used will help. It seems to me that the fugitive can jump back and forth between modes of transport...same as the detectives, but with no limitations of how many times.

MonCapitan2002
05-08-2009, 04:43 AM
The game sounds like it might be interesting. I am not committing to anything, though. I also don't see how it isn't entirely based in chance. I guess knowing where the fugitive has been and how he or she is moving might help since you can only move by one node at a time.

fragment
05-08-2009, 04:47 AM
I played this game a couple of times when I was a kid. Since you see where the crim is every so often, knowing the moves cuts down the possible current locations.

Sorry, I'm not going to commit to more than one game at a time.

eta: you can see my old flat on that board, near position 5.

Nightson
05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I will play

Adam
05-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Ha...awesome. I used to have this board game when I was a kid.

MonCapitan2002
05-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I will play
Wow. You have an avatar inspired by what looks like an anime based on the art style. You don't see that much here on the old :ff:. I am still thinking about joining this game. My main concern is if I'll remember to come here to play. My participation here tends to be spotty of late.

Demimonde
05-08-2009, 03:42 PM
So long as it doesn't start before Tuesday of next week, I'm game. Finals will be over and I'll be able to play at FF again. Missed you guys!

:tired:

Crumb
05-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm not clear how knowing what transport the fugitive has used will help. It seems to me that the fugitive can jump back and forth between modes of transport...same as the detectives, but with no limitations of how many times.

The game sounds like it might be interesting. I am not committing to anything, though. I also don't see how it isn't entirely based in chance. I guess knowing where the fugitive has been and how he or she is moving might help since you can only move by one node at a time.

Lets say the fugitive surfaces on space 140, and then next turn he uses an underground ticket his possible locations are then 153, 89, and 128. With five detectives you can move into cover the areas around these stops. You can also try to out guess the fugitive as to where the best place for him to hide would be. i.e. he probably went to the stop where most of the detectives weren't nearby.

If the detectives work together they can surround him and make it hard for the fugitive to get away. It will take team work for the detectives. :yup:

Crumb
05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
1. LadyShea
2. godfry n. glad
3. Nightson
4. (Demimonde)

Stacy S.
05-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd love to play but I'd like to observe how the game is played first.

Crumb, can you give the moves for an example game before I commit?

Also, is a set time for the game necessary to ensure the game is completed in a timely manner...otherwise, we could end up waiting days for a single move.

Crumb
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
I'd love to play but I'd like to observe how the game is played first.

Crumb, can you give the moves for an example game before I commit?

Also, is a set time for the game necessary to ensure the game is completed in a timely manner...otherwise, we could end up waiting days for a single move.

Well my plan was to track the moves in a table so I would have something like this:

Turn|Detective 1|Detective 2|Detective 3|Fugitive
Start|29|155|112|XXX
1|15 (B)|154 (T)|111 (T)|http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/TktTaxi.png
2|14 (B)|153 (B)|79 (U)|http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/crumb42/SY/TktUnd.png

The fugitive would PM his message to me and the detectives would post their moves here, like "Taxi: 155 to 154". :D

I can deal with absent players as the situation arises, but I can PM to remind them for starters.

mickthinks
05-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Each player can only travel from where she is to the next stop on a travel-line corresponding to the ticket she plays. The fugitive has infinite tickets, but she can still only travel one stop each go. (Except that twice in the game the fugitive can play a 2x card and make a double journey.)

So each ticket the fugitive uses tells you a lot about where she might have started from and, more to the point, where she may have got to.

Leesifer
05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh, go on then. I'll give it a go Crumb.

1. LadyShea
2. godfry n. glad
3. Nightson
4. (Demimonde)
5. Leesifer

ceptimus
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
1. LadyShea
2. godfry n. glad
3. Nightson
4. (Demimonde)
5. Leesifer
6. ceptimus

Can the fugitive move 'through' a detective using a 2x card?

Can the fugitive move to the position currently occupied by a detective (knowing that the detective has to move away on that same turn)?

Crumb
05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
No the fugitive cannot move to a space occupied by a detective in either scenario.

Crumb
05-09-2009, 08:28 PM
So it looks like we can start Tuesday with these players. :yup:

1. LadyShea
2. godfry n. glad
3. Nightson
4. Demimonde
5. Leesifer
6. ceptimus

:eager:

Crumb
05-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Oh and I should add that if anyone wants to be the fugitive, or doesn't want to be the fugitive let me know. Otherwise I will just be determining our fugitive randomly.

beyelzu
05-10-2009, 09:13 AM
so it is too late to sign up?

booo

Nightson
05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Actually bey can have my spot, I might be busier then I thought I was going to be.

Crumb
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
If you want it you are in, bey. :)

Crumb
05-12-2009, 04:25 PM
So I have to know if bey is playing or Nightson, before I can kick things off. :yup:

livius drusus
05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I added Peanut Gallery to the title. :)

Crumb
05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
:thankee:

ceptimus
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
So I'm out in the west of London near the Bayswater Road at the northern end of The Serpentine (biggest lake in Hyde Park). A nice spot to relax on a sunny evening.

:sun:

:sunbathe:

godfry n. glad
05-13-2009, 11:42 PM
So....What do the 'Black' and '2x' columns on the track table signify?

Crumb
05-14-2009, 12:17 AM
The fugitive can use a black ticket which allows her to hide her move for that turn (and possibly go by boat), and she can use a 2x ticket which allows her to move twice in a single turn.

godfry n. glad
05-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Um....Could I have you place a map on the game thread?

I'm not dealing well with all this jumping about to access the map and then post to the game thread.

Demimonde
05-14-2009, 02:56 AM
Crumb put a link in his sig, so it's always handy.

Nightson
05-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I am right now regretting giving up my space.

godfry n. glad
05-14-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm finally getting a bit oriented to the scene.

I appreciate the commentary from ceptimus and leesifer (or any other locals, for that matter). I know a few of the places, but hell...I only spent a few days there. I do remember my times in Hyde Park, they were quite nice.

ceptimus
05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Something like this might be helpful? This is the position after move 2.

http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5430&stc=1&d=1242317611

Demimonde
05-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes indeedy!

:tiphat2:

ceptimus
05-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Hey, I don't want it to help YOU!

Damned cheeky fugitive, spying on our detective plans!
:mutter:

Demimonde
05-14-2009, 05:29 PM
:muahaha:

Crumb
05-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I thought about something like that cep. But I can't really be doing that at work. :(

livius drusus
05-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Neat game, Crumbles. :thumbup:

Crumb
05-15-2009, 05:40 AM
:thankee:

MonCapitan2002
05-15-2009, 06:31 AM
This is a cool map.

ceptimus
05-15-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5433&stc=1&d=1242386921

The fugitive is at one of the question marks.

The big outlined area shows where she can get to on her next (single) move, and the small islands show some of the places she might reach with a double move (depending on which of the question marks she is currently at).

The positions of the detectives are where they are after 3 moves, except for godfry n. glad who has already made his 4th move.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea for bey and LadyShea to both be at the same location, though it is one of the 'super hubs' where they can use many different sorts of transport. :shrug: And if Demi is heading for the ferry, godfry may regret having crossed the river, rather than blocking her at 157. :popcorn:

LadyShea
05-15-2009, 03:23 PM
though it is one of the 'super hubs' where they can use many different sorts of transport

Exactically

MonCapitan2002
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
The game is getting interesting. I must admit that I am kind of rooting for Demimonde.

Demimonde
05-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks MonCap! I am doing my best to be foxy. :fox:

MonCapitan2002
05-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Good. Show them coppers that they can't catch you.

godfry n. glad
05-17-2009, 11:01 PM
So....What happened?

I had a really nice, sunny weekend in the back yard with the chickens. It was great. The post up rate on the board generally has dropped and this thread seemed to go into a coma.

Hello?

Crumb
05-18-2009, 05:08 AM
I haven't heard from the fugitive. She must have taken the weekend off. :)

fragment
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Everyone stopped for a cup of tea.

Demimonde
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I was kidnapped by loved ones. So now it is known that it is possible to catch me.

In theory anyhow. I really didn't mind them catching me, what with the happy guest bedroom, concert tickets, yummy meals.

Pshaw, what are you guys offering if I get caught? A cold cell, roach races, and bread and water? Not comparable at all really.

:tinyrunner:

livius drusus
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
That thanks was for the use of :tinyrunner:. It's pretty much an automatic thanks from me.

Demimonde
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I love that little guy. I have been trying to get him to work in the marquee code, but my skils are weak. I couldn't make it work.

livius drusus
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
You have to be in the HTML group for that to work, which you now are. Run, little friend, run!

Demimonde
05-18-2009, 07:31 PM
<marquee direction="right">:tinyrunner:</marquee>

ETA: YAYS!! :cheer: Thanks liv!

MonCapitan2002
05-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Go Demimonde! Run circles around them coppers!

godfry n. glad
05-19-2009, 03:10 AM
Crumb....Question:

If the fugitive, at the beginning of their turn, moves to a spot where the detectives moved to the previous turn, are they safe, or busted?

If the fugitive, using a 2X ticket, passes through a spot with a detective on it waiting to designate their turn, is the fugitive still free, or do they get busted?

I'm assuming that when the detective enters a spot that the fugitive has moved to THAT TURN, is the only way to effectively 'arrest' the fugitive? Is that correct?

Crumb
05-19-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm not positive about the official game rules, but my rules are that the fugitive is not allow to move to a space occupied by a detective.

godfry n. glad
05-19-2009, 04:29 AM
So, if there is a detective on the site from the last turn, the fugitive cannot go to, or through (say, using a 2X), that site?

MonCapitan2002
05-19-2009, 04:32 AM
I would assume as much based on how Crumb is setting up the rules.

Crumb
05-19-2009, 04:43 AM
So, if there is a detective on the site from the last turn, the fugitive cannot go to, or through (say, using a 2X), that site?
Correct. :yup:

godfry n. glad
05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I strongly suspect that playing this with others who have prior experience with the game would make a big difference.

Crumb
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Hopefully you are all learning while you play! :yup:

LadyShea
05-19-2009, 08:22 PM
It's fun! I put the board game on my Amazon wish list for hubby to look at

Crumb
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
:joecool:

MonCapitan2002
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Demimonde, are you sure it was a good idea to use both of your two move cards so early? They could have been useful during the endgame.

godfry n. glad
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
So...ceptimus...or any other local or near local who is familiar with the actual ground the players are covering in the game? Leesifer, you know this area, don't you? We (the detectives) have been putzing around over in South Kensington, right? Is Hammersmith out that way? Does the game map take in Hammersmith or Kew Gardens?

What are the areas like? Lots of apartments with commercial and warehousing activities? I mean, other than the odd palace that appears to blemish the landscape. Which, somehow, always seem to be real near the very nice parks.

I remember staying in Paddington (north of Hyde Park) and it was a mildly seedy area. Lots of cheap old hotels. Furriners everywhere. Not what we'd call an "Anglo" area. As a paleface, I felt in the minority of the populace. Whereas, the B&B in Kew Gardens seemed to be in a staunchly conservative, middle-class, neat & tidy, Anglo-Saxon neighborhood. I, of course, looked scruffy, suspect, and out of place.

Are there neighborhoods that are 'upscale', 'middle-class', 'working-class', 'skid road' (derelict's locale)? Ethnic neighborhoods, like Toronto? I saw London as the typical young tourist, which means I traipsed the usual haunts, doing the typical tourista things. I only saw snippets of 'the real London'....Ivy had a friend who lived near Regent's Park, who we met at the park and chatted while she pushed her child in pram around the park. I escaped to go visit the British Museum.

LadyShea
05-20-2009, 10:00 PM
We stayed in what I believe is called the Southbank area, near the London Eye. Our hotel had Waterloo as the location.

It was very quiet in that neighborhood, in fact we were often the only people walking about. I am not sure if it's mostly residential or just not a big business or tourist area or what, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

godfry n. glad
05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I kinda took it that Southwark and Waterloo were, at one time, seedy, but are now a kind of transit hub for traffic from the south....so, Waterloo Station and all. Isn't that that big, striated structure on the game map?

You go out of Waterloo Station to go to Dover, don't you? On the train, that is.

LadyShea
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
We visited in 2004. Maybe it was seedy, but because it was so quiet I couldn't really tell. There was a lovely Italian restaurant, and a bakery (want to say Bavarian, but that's close but wrong) within a block, and a friendly pub across the road (the locals bought us drinks and chatted and we had a great time), and to get to our tourist spots we walked over Waterloo Bridge which was only a short distance away.

Also, I noted that "seedy" areas all over London were a lot nicer and less terrifying than some of the ghettos I've driven through in the US. We walked around the East side or whatever after concluding the Ripper Walk, and felt perfectly comfortable and safe.

godfry n. glad
05-20-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been twice. In 1980, when I stayed in a...'hostel' in Paddington. Talk about seedy. It was cheap for two nights, though. They made the term 'continental breakfast' an insult to the continent. It was filled with Aussies and Kiwis. Buncha cheap bastards like me.

The second time was in 1992, with my wife. We stayed in Kew a couple of days and tried the 'commute from Oxford' routine (don't, is my advice) on the two ends of the big 'European trip' out of Heathrow. British Air out of Seattle....it was dreamy.

(I'm home sick today...just feelin' crappy, upchucked & all that when I got up, I've spent the rest of the day sittin' at the 'puter, sleeping, reading on the balcony. I still feel crappy, but this is nice entertainment. And appreciated; thanks, Crumb.)

ceptimus
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry. I don't know London very well at all. I bet godfry and LadyShea have both spent more time in London than I have.

godfry n. glad
05-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Hmmm...I'd say about six days total in three trips through.

I always tried to put London on the very end of any trip to the British Isles. It would suck up money faster than any other locale in the region. I flew into London's Heathrow every time, but the first time, I took the tube to Euston and out to Cambridge, immediately. From there, I went north to Scotland then to and around Ireland and back to Stonehenge before returning to London, before flying home. My wife and I did the same going to 'the continent' via Dover, Oostend, Bruxelles, and Amsterdam. On our way back, we went to Plymouth, Penzance, Tintagel, the Lake District, the Scottish Circuit, then York, Oxford and the Cotswolds, and back to London to fly home.

I still have to return to London to attempt to do the British Museum and the Tate some kind of justice. I've never been to the latter, and the big BM I've been only once and directly in to the Sutton Hoo exhibit. I only saw what was 'on my way there'; an hour and a half in the big BM. Never in the Tate.

I have sinned.

Crumb
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone interested in another game?

I am thinking of writing a quick a dirty map utility so that I could make a map of positions after every turn.

Leesifer
05-21-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't know West London that well at all, I'm afraid.

East London is a different matter though.

ceptimus
05-21-2009, 09:14 PM
A map would certainly make the game easier to follow for both the players and the Peanut Gallery.

The detectives also need a map showing the fugitive's possible locations - but that is really a job for the detectives to do themselves. Having figured out possible locations (perhaps with errors) they probably then don't want to share that map with the fugitive!

Thanks for introducing the game Crumb (I never heard of it before), and for running it. I enjoyed playing.

LadyShea
05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I'll play again anytime, but want to give others a chance first.

mickthinks
Demimonde started in Westminster near the (Catholic) Cathedral, then she holed up in Chelsea and finally was captured in a fairly residential part of Kensington near Earl's Court. Bey's last bus journey took him right past the Royal Albert Hall.

Demimonde
you betcha!

Leesifer
05-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I'll play again anytime, but want to give others a chance first.

This!

Crumb
05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, sign ups are open!

Demimonde
godfry (I think he said he was in in the game thread)
[LadyShea]
[Leesifer]

godfry n. glad
05-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep...I'm in, and I'll volunteer to be the fugitive.

ceptimus
05-21-2009, 09:37 PM
When the game is over, the path of the fugitive will be revealed.
:waiting:

godfry n. glad
05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't know West London that well at all, I'm afraid.

East London is a different matter though.

I guess we now know which is the skanky side of town...and odiferous, too.

Leesifer
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
That's why I fit right in

godfry n. glad
05-21-2009, 10:12 PM
It's probably where all the Spanish tourists (aka 'flies') hang out, too.

Crumb
05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Game 2:
Demimonde [~F]
godfry [F]
[LadyShea]
[Leesifer]

Anymore?

godfry n. glad
05-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I'd let it sit there until we're through the holiday weekend, Crumb.

Crumb
05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
I will, I'm not starting anything today. :)

Nightson
05-22-2009, 02:12 AM
I will play this round.

Nightson
05-22-2009, 02:39 AM
I made color trails to see people's path through the game

Crumb
05-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Wow! :)

MonCapitan2002
05-22-2009, 06:42 AM
I'll throw my hat into the ring for the next game.

ceptimus
05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
While searching the internet for more info on this game I discovered that two detectives are not allowed to be at the same location - if a detective doesn't hold a valid ticket to move to a position not occupied by another detective then he doesn't move on that turn.

This implementation (http://pessimization.com/software/londonlaw/) looks promising - even if all the players don't want the hassle of installing it, a single person might be able to use it to generate maps easily.

LadyShea
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
While searching the internet for more info on this game I discovered that two detectives are not allowed to be at the same location - if a detective doesn't hold a valid ticket to move to a position not occupied by another detective then he doesn't move on that turn.

I also read that in some versions, when a detective uses a ticket or token, it is given to the fugitive, increasing their options.

godfry n. glad
05-22-2009, 04:03 PM

I also read that in some versions, when a detective uses a ticket or token, it is given to the fugitive, increasing their options.

How can a ticket or a token increase options for the fugitive when they have endless access to all forms of transit? The fugitive already has more options than the detectives.

Crumb
05-22-2009, 04:07 PM
In the board game the fugitive starts with a certain number of each tickets, but gets the tickets the detectives use. From my research that didn't seem to be a very important element of the game so I eliminated it to simplify. I suppose it could play a role early in the game when the fugitive's tickets are limited.

I didn't know about the restriction against occupying the same space. I will enforce that in the future. :yup:

godfry n. glad
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
In the board game the fugitive starts with a certain number of each tickets, but gets the tickets the detectives use. From my research that didn't seem to be a very important element of the game so I eliminated it to simplify. I suppose it could play a role early in the game when the fugitive's tickets are limited.

I didn't know about the restriction against occupying the same space. I will enforce that in the future. :yup:

Yes...It would make a difference early in the game. If you assume that the fugitive had no, or 1 ticket, and got all the tickets the detectives used, then their ability to move would improve as the game progressed. It would add an interesting aspect to the game and initially hobble the fugitive...by the time of the first reveal, though, the fugitive would have 12 options and increasing by five each...well, four, as they would need to use one each turn.

I can see the rationale for the one per space, too. It does, however, force the detectives to be more effective....although, 'more effective' could be the ability to make the next move.

Crumb
05-22-2009, 05:18 PM
The rules say the fugitive starts with 4 taxi, 3 bus and 3 tube tickets.

godfry n. glad
05-22-2009, 10:55 PM
The rules say the fugitive starts with 4 taxi, 3 bus and 3 tube tickets.

Along with 5 black tickets and 2 double trips?

If they are collecting new 'tickets' as they are being used by the detectives, though, the tickets would become an effective 'infinity' compared to the increasing limits on detective movement.

Crumb
05-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes.

ceptimus
05-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Remember that this was originally a real board game with bits of card and tokens. The 'handing the used tickets to the fugitive' rule was probably just so that the manufacturers wouldn't have to supply so many cards with the game - and that would make the game cheaper, or would make them more profit.

I think Crumb is right in that, in effect, the fugitive has an infinite number of bus, rail and taxi tickets.

Demimonde
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm afraid that I am going to have to bow out this round. I won't be able to log in as much and so I don't want to be holding up the game. Anyone who has been wanting to play can jump in.

So I'll just hang back and watch. :popcorn:

Crumb
05-26-2009, 12:23 AM
We'll miss you, Demi. I don't know how soon I will be kicking of the next round anyways. It may not be this week. :sorry:

Crumb
05-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Game 2:
MonCap
godfry [F]
[LadyShea] [F]
[Leesifer]
Nightson

I'd like to kick this off Monday. I would like at least one more player, more can sign up since LS and Lees are willing to sit this one out.

Also, if you want to be in running to be the fugitive just let me know. :yup:

I have a map program so I can easily produce a map of player positions every turn. :D

LadyShea
05-29-2009, 06:46 PM
If I play, I would like to be considered for fugitive please

Crumb
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Okie!

Leesifer
05-30-2009, 12:20 AM
I'll play again Crumb, if nobody else signs up, though you may want to start a separate sign up thread. Only 'cos this one is still the peanut gallery from the last game.

Crumb
05-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Maybe so. :thankee:

Crumb
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
The new game is here: Scotland Yard 2 (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20313)

We can use the same peanut gallery.

Legs
06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm a Scotland Yard virgin. :dumb:

Leesifer
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
You've popped your cherry now.

Legs
06-12-2009, 03:34 PM
You could have at least bought me dinner first.

Leesifer
06-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Nothing wrong with a KFC Bargain Bucket.

Legs
06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Is that your nickname for my vagina?

MonCapitan2002
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Leesifer could have done with a little romance. For shame. :tsktsk:

godfry n. glad
06-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Alright, you slackers. When are you going to produce something on this fugitive?

The stragedy sessions must be hot and heavy.

I was just looking at that overall transit map as a smaller window, and I noticed that the transitways tend to form a lobster shape, with pincers to the left (west) and fantail to the right and down (southeast), the long arching, plated back formed by the outer underground line, and the Thames forming the underbelly, where one might find roe, but definitely lots of legs (bridges).

Curious, that.

livius drusus
06-19-2009, 01:06 AM
I bet that map would be delicious with melted butter. :hungry:

godfry n. glad
06-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I guess this is not a chatty group while they deliberate.

Although, nobody has posted a move in a while. Do they give the inept in Scotland Yard annual holidays?

The next turn is a reveal....Can they handle the truth?

MonCapitan2002
06-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes we can you miscreant. Brag all you want now, but know this. We will capture you and you will end up having your ass used as a pincushion by your future cell mate Bubba.

godfry n. glad
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
......WHOO-HOOO!!!
http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/gallery/files/7/0/calvinontherun_thumb.jpg (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=6095&c=5)

godfry n. glad
06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
:waiting:

So....MC and Legs are on vacation this weekend?

MonCapitan2002
06-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm around.

Legs
06-21-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm here, sorry... having a look now

Leesifer
06-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Pfft. Don't let him hassle you guys. He's a fugitive after all.

MonCapitan2002
06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
One who we will take down.

godfry n. glad
06-22-2009, 12:11 AM
One who we will take down.

......IF YOU SAY SO....HA HA HA!!! neener-neener!
http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/gallery/files/7/0/calvinontherun_thumb.jpg

Legs
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
I was so close to you godfry n. glad, and I mean that in a professional way, not a emotional/sexual way.

godfry n. glad
06-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes...Yes, you were.

It was most enjoyable waving to you across the Thames.

Every guy loves a glace at Legs. :wink:

Oops...gotta go.

godfry n. glad
06-28-2009, 05:10 AM
......WHOO-HOOO!!!
http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/gallery/files/7/0/calvinontherun_thumb.jpg (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=6095&c=5)

godfry n. glad
06-28-2009, 05:50 PM
So...I guess we're waiting for Crumb to awaken from his near-comatose post-binge night yesterday.

She must really be something, if he's ignoring the computer this late in the morning. Probably gazing into her diodes over his Eggo.

I sure hope he posts up before he runs off to church.

Legs
06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
He hasn't been going to church since they started having armed guards :giggles:

Crumb
06-28-2009, 06:03 PM
:chin: You people are weird.

godfry n. glad
06-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes.

Is there a point?

:?

Crumb
06-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Just an observation.

godfry n. glad
06-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Belaboring the obvious, more like.

:grin:

godfry n. glad
06-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Okay...

Methinks I have sown dissension in the ranks.

After that last move, three detectives made decisive moves within a short time frame. Since, it has been over 26 hours since the remaining two detectives have committed to any motion whatsoever.

Do I have to wait 24 more hours before I can claim victory? Or what?

This game needs a timer, like a championship chess game.

godfry n. glad
06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
:whistles:

MonCapitan2002
06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Quit being so impatient. Sometimes we need to deliberate our moves.

godfry n. glad
06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah...Those are pretty downtrodden, suppressed and subjegated moves alright. Downright de-liberated. :wink:

JamesBannon
06-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Are the detectives allowed to collaborate in this game?

godfry n. glad
06-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Not only allowed, but expected.

Mayhaps they were unaware of that? That would explain a lot. :wink:

godfry n. glad
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Quit being so impatient. Sometimes we need to deliberate our moves.

"Fugitive marries, raises family, puts children through university, retires, moves to Inverness for the fishing, while detectives deliberate next move."

Leesifer
06-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Inverness is NOT on the map.

and because of all your posturing, I'm not going to post on the game thread until 4th July 2012

godfry n. glad
06-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Inverness is NOT on the map.

and because of all your posturing, I'm not going to post on the game thread until 4th July 2012

:mememe:

I win!!!!

MonCapitan2002
07-01-2009, 12:07 AM
You won't be winning you pillock. We will catch you.

godfry n. glad
07-01-2009, 12:34 AM
You won't be winning you pillock. We will catch you.

......IF YOU SAY SO....HA HA HA!!! neener-neener!
http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/gallery/files/7/0/calvinontherun_thumb.jpg

...but at this pace, I doubt it will be this year.

godfry n. glad
07-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Heh...They're stepping all over each others' toes.

When it comes to these cops, can we say 'Keystone'?

godfry n. glad
07-02-2009, 06:53 AM
http://boohmshanka.afaith.com/archives/First_Try/images/tracer.gif

heh heh heh

JamesBannon
07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I notice that Leesifer always say please! ;)

Crumb
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Those dafty Brits are polite. :leeshug:

godfry n. glad
07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Actually, I heard there was a large Polish community in London.

godfry n. glad
07-05-2009, 07:18 PM
YOOOOO-HOOOOO!

I'm over here in Shoreditch.

What's the big deal down there? Another domestic dustup at Buckingham, perhaps?

I trust you were all wearing your knickers, despite the abominably hot and sticky weather?

I do think it is the detective force of Scotland Yard which has been caught with its collective pants down.
Cooling off, are you?

:sniggle:

Leesifer
07-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Wotcha, gng, I'm not that far away!:cuttothechase:

godfry n. glad
07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
......IF YOU SAY SO....Are you going to catch me all by yersef? .....HA HA HA!!! neener-neener!

Crumb
07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm sure he can smell you coming. :giggles:

godfry n. glad
07-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm sure he can smell you coming. :giggles:

Hmmm....Do you think that was what JEROME was whiffing?

godfry n. glad
07-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I must admit that I'm a bit surprised that there is not more open commentary on this peanut gallery thread.

I think this is a fascinating game.

Meh....it'd probably just mess up all their seekrut detective seances, where they try to get 'into my head'.

Legs...my head is not down there.

Crumb
07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Glad to hear that someone does. :pleased:

godfry n. glad
07-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Well...This is why I was so eager to volunteer as a fugitive. To see if I could do it.

I'd absolutely love to know what the hell is going on in any deliberations they are having. But...I guess afterwards we'll know.

They still have a chance, I guess...

But if they don't get me in the next reveal, or soon after, I'm going to be able to roam fairly freely. Not entirely freely, but hey. Sooner or later, they'll run out of tickets.

I think they might want to polish up their concession speeches.

Crumb
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
You have done a pretty good job, but you are not in the clear yet. The skunk is on your butt. :)

godfry n. glad
07-09-2009, 07:24 PM
You have done a pretty good job, but you are not in the clear yet. The skunk is on your butt. :)

Yeah...That was nice. Still is, akshully. :wink:

Legs
07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd absolutely love to know what the hell is going on in any deliberations they are having.
They mostly consist of

:blank:

and

:shrug:

and sometimes

:twitch:

JamesBannon
07-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Haven't you guys caught godfry yet? Scotland Yard will be disappointed.

ETA: Oh yeah, Godfry. Steelhead and Sea Trout are different species.

Leesifer
07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry for not being here at the weekend. My stupid laptop got infected. Every fucking .exe file on there was infected.

It's now sitting here on my desk being rebuilt as we speak.

godfry n. glad
07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
We thought you knew that using that Spanish hardware with your software without adequate firewall protection can lead to exactly this kind of situation. I'll bet he said it was 'wireless', too, didn't he?

I hope this is sufficient reminder for you to always carry protection.

Demimonde
07-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Wow I really sucked as fugitive if this is still going on!

But I will say, folks were rooting for me, while they are crying for the capture of Godfrey. Still, had I joined you would all still be waiting for the third move.

* Demimonde blows kisses.

Crumb
07-14-2009, 02:08 AM
I don't know if godfry would have been as good if he hadn't seen how the first game went.

godfry n. glad
07-14-2009, 02:15 AM
But I will say, folks were rooting for me, while they are crying for the capture of Godfrey.

But of course! Folks around here tend to root for the underdog. And, at this point, it is quite clear that it is the five detectives of Scotland Yard which are the underdogs.

:D

I don't know if godfry would have been as good if he hadn't seen how the first game went.

Damned straight I wouldn't be (I'm not past tense, yet...I'm still tense).

I learned a lot from that experience. I'm not sure I'd want to air my secrets openly, though... :wink:

godfry n. glad
07-16-2009, 05:39 AM
.................SPIFF PRESSURIZED THE MAGNETRONIC ALTITUDE-O-LATERS AND HITS THE TURBO HYPER THRUST DRIVE! INSTANTLY OUR HERO BLASTS TO ESCAPE VELOCITY.
http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/Game/Fukuyama/Images/spiff.png

For your fugitive amusement (http://homepage.mac.com/tigershark/spacemanspiff/7.html).

godfry is on the run!

mickthinks
07-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow I really sucked as fugitive if this is still going on!

:yup:

ETA: I'd assumed your last move was deliberate—a suicide by cop.

godfry n. glad
07-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Well detectives...Here I am in North Lambeth, while you've got yourselves spread out north of the Thames in an easterly fashion.

Are you ready to concede and start looking for the one-armed man, instead of harrassing me? Or...Do you intend to use every last transport ticket attempting to apprehend me? If it's the latter, then I suspect that, given the slacking morale, you shall have to browbeat your fellow detectives to even move.

MonCapitan2002
07-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I have to hand it to you Godfry. You have consistently been able to give us the slip. I 'hate' you for it, but I still respect your accomplishment.

mickthinks
07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Well detectives...Here I am in North Lambeth, while you've got yourselves spread out north of the Thames in an easterly fashion.

Crumb's F-token is actually perched on top of the obelisk in St George's Circus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Circus). I hope gng is not in quite such an uncomfortable position.

From there it's a 3 min walk south-east to the Imperial War Museum, a 5 min walk north-east to Waterloo Station and a 3 min walk south-west to the enigmatically named Elephant and Castle.

godfry n. glad
07-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I have to hand it to you Godfry. You have consistently been able to give us the slip. I 'hate' you for it, but I still respect your accomplishment.

Thank you, kind sir. I did try...and I suppose I've been quite trying, too. :wink:

So...You've decided to play it to the end?

Legs
07-21-2009, 03:26 PM
We need to wrap this up by next Wednesday when I leave for holidays or I guess, I can give my proxy to Leesifer and she can do what she pleases with me.

Leesifer
07-21-2009, 03:33 PM
You don't know how long I've wanted to hear those words, Legs.

godfry n. glad
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Crumb's F-token is actually perched on top of the obelisk in St George's Circus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Circus). I hope gng is not in quite such an uncomfortable position.

From there it's a 3 min walk south-east to the Imperial War Museum, a 5 min walk north-east to Waterloo Station and a 3 min walk south-west to the enigmatically named Elephant and Castle.

Thanks, mick. I was rather hoping that a local, or near local, could provide us with local color as the game progressed. Unfortunately, you showed up a mite late. However, since I've got you here, I've a couple of questions...

I get the impression that Southwark and Lambeth are rather 'hard-bitten' districts when it comes to the typical residents. But, is it really any different from those neighborhoods north and east of the central city...like around Shoreditch?

Where do the trains leaving Waterloo head? Were I to take a train from Waterloo station, could I get to Dover? How about Penzance? Or, Southampton and the Isle of Wight?

Lastly...Were the detectives to actually collar the fugitive, would they take the suspect to New Scotland Yard, or would they lodge the prisoner in some nearby gaol? If arraigned...I'm not sure of the legal processes involved...would that be at New Scotland Yard, or would they have to move to the Temple courts...or some place else entirely?

Leesifer
07-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Actually, Shoreditch is now a very trendy place to live and socialise. It's becoming more and more popular. Places such as Hackney, Shoreditch and Hoxton have gradually become "places to be" in the last few years with many arts galleries, pubs and clubs etc. I think they are also benefiting from the fact that the Olympic stadium is being built in Stratford.

godfry n. glad
07-21-2009, 03:46 PM

This could be over right now...if you'd all just concede.

I think Legs is dead in the water. In order to move, she requires a taxi ticket, which she does not have.

Yes...She needs to rescind her move to 83 and move to either 82 or 100. Using her last taxi ticket to move her from 100 to a spot which has no way to another location except by taxi...spells trapped.

I haven't checked the others...

MonCapitan is certainly menacing. And...at this point, all by his lonesome.

mickthinks
07-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Southwark and Lambeth have a reputation for being 'rough' areas, but it's a perception thing rather than a reality, I think. There's money in the central districts—Mayfair, Kensington, Marylebone—and in the suburbs—Hampstead, Kingston, Dulwich—which is absent in much of the ground in between. But I reckon the reason why Lambeth and Southwark get noticed more than, eg. Brent or Haringey, is because their poverty is so close to the comparative affluence just the other side of the river. Indeed the history of Southwark, "The Borough" as a lawless place within easy reach of Westminster and The City, yet out of reach of their civilising influence, dates back to medieval times. It was a natural red light district and attracted other licentious entertainments such as the theatres of Marlowe and Shakespeare.

Waterloo (http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E81E7003-9F7D-4A36-B872-C2B7DA96068D/0/SWTNetworkFeb08.pdf) serves the South-West but not as far west as Devon and Cornwall. It used to be terminus for the trains bound for Paris and Brussels through the Chunnel, but that temprary arrangement has ended now that the renovated St Pancras is in service.

I guess Scotland Yard could be the first point of incarceration for arrested criminals, but I think that would only be if they were needed to be interrogated by the Met's detectives, and that implies a serious organised crime, I think.

Mick

godfry n. glad
07-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Sorry, Legs. But given the whole 'out by Wednesday' scene...maybe it's for the best. :wink:

MonCapitan2002
07-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Kinky!

godfry n. glad
07-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Southwark and Lambeth have a reputation for being 'rough' areas, but it's a perception thing rather than a reality, I think. There's money in the central districts—Mayfair, Kensington, Marylebone—and in the suburbs—Hampstead, Kingston, Dulwich—which is absent in much of the ground in between. But I reckon the reason why Lambeth and Southwark get noticed more than, eg. Brent or Haringey, is because their poverty is so close to the comparative affluence just the other side of the river. Indeed the history of Southwark, "The Borough" as a lawless place within easy reach of Westminster and The City, yet out of reach of their civilising influence, dates back to medieval times. It was a natural red light district and attracted other licentious entertainments such as the theatres of Marlowe and Shakespeare.

Waterloo (http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E81E7003-9F7D-4A36-B872-C2B7DA96068D/0/SWTNetworkFeb08.pdf) serves the South-West but not as far west as Devon and Cornwall. It used to be terminus for the trains bound for Paris and Brussels through the Chunnel, but that temprary arrangement has ended now that the renovated St Pancras is in service.

I guess Scotland Yard could be the first point of incarceration for arrested criminals, but I think that would only be if they were needed to be interrogated by the Met's detectives, and that implies a serious organised crime, I think.

Mick

Hmmm...Things seem to change around over time (probably most in my memory). It seems to me we took the train from Dover, into London, and thence out to the West Country, without having to change stations, just trains. I think that station was Waterloo, but I'm not sure. There have been too many train trips, too long in the past. That was pre-Chunnel, and we did ferry over to Oestend and hydroplane back.

mickthinks
07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Your memory may be perfect, god3. The trains into Charing Cross (http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/SE%20(15.9)%201.8.pdf) serve Kent, but their penultimate stop is Waterloo East (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Waterloo_East_railway_station) from where you can walk to Waterloo station without exiting to the street.

JamesBannon
07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Haven't you guys caught this reprobate yet?

Nightson
07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I think it's time to grab a black guy and plant some evidence.

godfry n. glad
07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
They do that in London?

:noid:

Wait.

:police:

You're in 'fornia.

Maybe we'd better learn what the exalted customs in London are before you recommend American enforcement SOP?

godfry n. glad
07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Haven't you guys caught this reprobate yet?

Nope...nor are they likely to, either.

:D

Nightson
07-23-2009, 11:02 PM
They do that in London?

:noid:

Wait.

:police:

You're in 'fornia.

Maybe we'd better learn what the exalted customs in London are before you recommend American enforcement SOP?

Yes I forget myself, clearly we need to pin it on a muslim. :P

godfry n. glad
07-24-2009, 07:14 PM
So...Nightson...

What's with Leesifer? Did she wing off to Spain, again?

godfry n. glad
07-26-2009, 05:10 AM
It is now 2.5 days since the last post in the game thread.

It seems the missing detective posted shortly after that last game thread post noting that she was having problems posting. She's evidently been back today, but not posted.

I don't know when she'll be posting up, but this promises to be an excruciating slow and pointless end game.

godfry n. glad
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Spaceman Spiff has activated the cloaking device.

MonCapitan2002
07-28-2009, 06:30 AM
I have an idea of where you might have gone. Since you used a black ticket you either used a ferry to move across the river or used it as a fake out maneuver.

godfry n. glad
07-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Well...yeah...That sorta covers all the bases. Your job is to guess which I've done.

...And get to me where I'm at - in three moves.

Nightson
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
I think to make it a challenge godfry should have to end the game one jump away from a detective.

Crumb
07-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm sure he'd pick Legs. :snicker: