PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars 2

ManM
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
...it has ruined me. Champions Online just came out. I don't care. My City of Heroes characters have started collecting dust. I don't care. All of my gamer chi has warped into an unstoppable nerdgasm at the mere sight of the Guild Wars 2 video. I have subscribed to their email list. I am following them on Twitter. I have become a fan on Facebook. I have added their RSS feed to Google Reader. I re-read the same interviews over and over again with unabated excitement, imagining the potential of Arenanet's fresh ideas.

Am I alone in my obsession?

:squee:

Kael
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
It is relevant to my interests. I've always wanted a good MMO that doesn't soak me for $15 every month. Guild Wars was fun but for various reasons I never stuck with it. One of the things that bugged me on some level was that you could only be human (I know it's silly and arbitrary, but I'm a human every day of my life, it's fun to play something else once in a while). I also don't know anyone else that plays regularly, a big factor in MMO enjoyment for me.

I'll be keeping an eye on it, probably pick it up soon after release, if not pre-order.

ManM
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
What Guild Wars lacked in visual differentiation between characters (costumes, looks, etc), it made up for by build differentiation. In the other MMOs I've played, you reach a point where it doesn't matter what the other characters look like, they fall into a small number of useful endgame builds. As you progress, you become more specialized in whatever role you have chosen, and your options for variation decrease as you gain power.

Guild Wars is the only MMO I've played where this mechanic is completely reversed, and Arenanet has won my loyalty for their brilliance in this respect. As you gain in power, you learn more skills, which opens up more possible combos, and sometimes, entirely new ways of playing your character. If Arenanet can bring that to life again, but this time in a world that is more alive... less scripted... less instanced... I'm going to need an intervention to get me away from the computer.