PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

ms_ann_thrope
06-27-2005, 04:12 AM
1. How'd you find the Freethought Forum?
Forum Directory. Was looking for a place where discussion on social or political topics is possible without people resorting to name-calling, pedantry, or bullying (I recently left a forum that had become blighted by such things).

2. Are you a member of any other online forums? Which?
Awful Plastic Surgery; TankNet

3. How do you feel about smilies (emoticons)?
They can be quite useful. Large size ones are kind of annoying to me, though. I like them in the range of ~30x30 pixels.

4. How do you feel about 2000+ smilies?
That's a lot of smilies! :damn:

5. Is flaming:
A. Hilarious
B. Beneath you
C. Irritating as fuck
All of the above -- depends on situation.

6. Is vulgar language:
A. Hilarious
B. Beneath you
C. Irritating as fuck
All of the above -- depends on situation.

7. Why did the chicken cross the road?
He was following his bliss.

8. Who pays for your food?
Me.

9. What's one thing you've always wanted to do but never have?
Own my own home.

10. What is your single favorite place in the world?
Assisi, Italy

11. What's the significance of your username?
Old joke... used to give "Ann Thrope" as my name if I got hit on at a bar. If the guy "got" it, there was potential. If they didn't... this was an indicator that things would not work out.

12. What about your avatar?
I love Godzilla.

livius drusus
06-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Assisi, Italy

Now that's an answer after my own heart. My friend Silvia and I once persuaded the school admin to offer a trip to Assisi for the high school girls just so we could meet up with some guys from Silvia's hometown who went to school in Assisi. That ruled. :giggle:

Welcome to FF, miss_ann_thrope. :welcome1:

Dingfod
06-27-2005, 04:22 AM
1. How'd you find the Freethought Forum?
Forum Directory. Was looking for a place where discussion on social or political topics is possible without people resorting to name-calling, pedantry, or bullying (I recently left a forum that had become blighted by such things).Stick around: there's plenty of name-calling, pedantry and bullying to go around here too. The big difference is, you can flip shit back, if you want.

I share your misanthropy. Welcome to FF.

nvexio
06-27-2005, 04:56 AM
I really gotta get more active here... welcome to the boards.

viscousmemories
06-27-2005, 04:59 AM
:welcome: to the FF, ms_ann_thrope. So who's Ann Thrope?

I kid! I kid! Sheesh.

Crumb
06-27-2005, 05:14 AM
:welcome3: MAT! I hope you don't mind it I abbreviate your name 'cause it's too late now.

It's cool that you decided to jump in by answering are questions. If it is intelligent conversation you are after I can give you some advice: no need to read the threads that I am posting in. :wink:

liv: Why don't we have a 'What question would you ask a new user?' type question on the list?

JoeP
06-27-2005, 12:33 PM
:qwelc: "Ann"!
:hellokit:

3. How do you feel about smilies (emoticons)?
They can be quite useful. Large size ones are kind of annoying to me, though. I like them in the range of ~30x30 pixels.

4. How do you feel about 2000+ smilies?
That's a lot of smilies! :damn: Of course. :MM:
Oh, sorry...

Assisi, ItalyThere's no way you could have known the right answer without knowing livius already!

JoeP
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Why don't we have a 'What question would you ask a new user?' type question on the list?Would that be your question? That's the reason why liv doesn't have it on the list. Nice try, Crumb, but I mean really.

Crumb
06-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Uh....huh? :scratch:

livius drusus
06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Just to be clear, those questions sprang fully formed from the head of our very own forum Zeus, vm. I am but a mere observer.

ms_ann_thrope
06-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Thank you all for the warm reception! :tiphat: Looking forward to staying awhile.

Livius, I can't even put into words the feelings I had upon arrival in Assisi. There truly seemed to be something electric and powerful in the air -- all at once, I felt like I was enveloped in serenity and compassion and humility and love. Seeing that I'm not religious, I thought this was kind of odd. But others I have spoken to related similar experiences! Maybe the city sits atop a giant magnetic field or something, I don't know... but I felt something very, very powerful there.

Warrenly, glad to hear that dialogue is allowed to flow in both directions. I actually lurked for a little bit before signing up, so I have seem some tussling, but overall the posts seem intelligent and civil, which is what I seek.

JoeP, that Hello Kitty smilie kicks ass. How did you know that I love her? :smitten: Kawaii!!!!!

Crumb, I like MAT! But, I will answer to "Ann" too.

Again, thanks all for the welcome!

D. Scarlatti
06-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Christ, another law student. There goes the neighborhood.

livius drusus
06-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Livius, I can't even put into words the feelings I had upon arrival in Assisi. There truly seemed to be something electric and powerful in the air -- all at once, I felt like I was enveloped in serenity and compassion and humility and love. Seeing that I'm not religious, I thought this was kind of odd. But others I have spoken to related similar experiences! Maybe the city sits atop a giant magnetic field or something, I don't know... but I felt something very, very powerful there.

That's fascinating, miss_ann_thrope. (Do you have a preferred short version of your handle, btw?) I always found Assisi a peaceful, shining place too, although I don't think I had quite the intensity of your reaction. Part of it for me is that everytime I've been the weather was idyllic. Another part is that the town itself is very well-groomed (which is not always the case in Italy; it ain't Switzerland, ya know ;)). It's also one of those small Italian cities where so much of the life is outside, a community interacting with its past and present, not just people living in a town. Add to that all the beauty and you have a great place to be.

When I heard about the earthquake a few years back, the people who died, the damage to the art and architecture, I cried like an infant.

beyelzu
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
:welcome: to :ff:

:tmgrin:

make thyself right at home.

viscousmemories
06-28-2005, 04:43 PM
(Do you have a preferred short version of your handle, btw?)
Rumor has it she's amused by Crumb's MAT, but will answer to Ann too.

livius drusus
06-28-2005, 05:11 PM
:glare:

justaman
06-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Why are you getting all glarey lillyass? vm was just answering a straight question.

You're very misunderstood, vm.

livius drusus
06-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Shut up, you.

The Lone Ranger
06-29-2005, 04:39 AM
I love Godzilla.

Anyone who loves the Big G is a-okay in my book!

Welcome!

livius drusus
06-29-2005, 01:17 PM
That reminds me. Have you ever heard the Blue Oyster Cult Godzilla song, Ann? Whoa-oh-oh... There goes To-ky-o. Go go Godzilla! :giggle:

Shake
06-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I haven't noticed the abbreviation-ization (if you will) of folks handles here so much as other places, but it's a little easier to type something shorter for those of you with long handles. I mean, most of us even refer to livius drusus as simply liv or 54. :wink: So those with multiple word handles often get reduced to initials.

Anyway, welcome, ann! Enjoy!

MisterIngo
06-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Greetings! Welcome to the board Ann! I'm new myself! lol!