PDA

View Full Version : General Tso's Chicken

viscousmemories
07-04-2005, 05:00 AM
If you're looking for a good recipe for General Tso's Chicken, I don't have one.

I do have some advice, though. Don't buy Iron Chef's General Tso's Sauce & Glaze and expect that to taste like any General Tso's Chicken I've ever had. It tastes more like mildly spicy sweet & sour sauce, and not very good mildly spicy sweet & sour sauce. Besides, I made it according to the directions on the bottle and the chicken wasn't breaded. What the hell kinda General Tso's Chicken is that? No kind.

So, there's my advice. Now give me a good recipe, dammit! :glare: :whup:

Legs
07-04-2005, 05:55 AM
I don't have a good recipe either, but the chicken must be breaded or it's an abomination, an insult to General Tso :glare:

RevDahlia
07-04-2005, 06:22 AM
I wonder if panko crumbs would make a good General Tso's breading component. Maybe not; it's kinda supposed to be a little soggy.

viscousmemories
07-04-2005, 06:30 AM
It hadn't ever occurred to me that I might find a recipe on the Intarweb, but I did!

General Tso's Chicken Peng Teng (http://www.echonyc.com/~erich/tso.htm)

4 Chicken legs with thighs
1/2 c Soy sauce
1/2 c Distilled white vinegar
1 cl Garlic; minced
1 ts Ginger root; Peeled & minced
1 ts Cornstarch
1 lg Egg; beaten lightly
1/3 c Corn oil
4 Dried hot chilis; seeded

Bone the chicken legs, including the thighs by scraping the meat from the bone, working downward and keeping close to the bone. Pull the meat down over the bone (pulling it inside out like a glove) and cut it free from the bone. Discard the skin and cut the meat from each leg into 6 pieces.

In a bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 c water, the garlic and ginger root.

In another bowl, combine the egg and cornstarch and dip the chicken pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet until very hot, add the chicken and fry it for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it is crisp. Transfer the chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 T of the oil from the wok. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chili peppers and the chicken and cook the mixture over moderately high heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through.

Transfer it to a heated serving dish. Serves 4.

I think I'll try this soon. :yup:

Zikes
07-04-2005, 07:13 AM
I once tried some General Tso's from a crappy asian restaurant at the mall, I'm pretty sure it was just breaded chicken in peanut butter :susp:

livius drusus
07-04-2005, 01:42 PM
That's deeply repulsive, Zikes. :yuck:

Zikes
07-05-2005, 05:53 AM
I was hungry enough to eat most of it, though :hm:

viscousmemories
07-05-2005, 06:19 AM
I was hungry enough to eat most of it, though :hm:
:laugh:

MegaDave
07-06-2005, 03:41 AM
I order (like every time we eat Chinease, about 3 or 4 times a month) Sweet and Sour Chicken but substitue the sweet & sour sauce for the General Tso sauce. For some reason, I find the chicken in a lot of the General Tso's dishes I have had to be chewy, rubber tasting crap.

viscousmemories
07-06-2005, 04:32 AM
For some reason, I find the chicken in a lot of the General Tso's dishes I have had to be chewy, rubber tasting crap.
That's odd. I get General Tso's chicken here from a chain called Royal Chopstix, and it's their signature dish (naturally, I suppose, they call it Royal Chicken). It's one of the better versions of it I've had around the country. :yup:

HighOnHotSauce
07-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Now you did it, I’m incredibly hungry for the general’s chicken. There's a place a mile away from my house called “Jumbo China Buffet” that has really good General Tso’s. It’s not a hot as I’d like but it’s good.