PDA

View Full Version : Ascent to the sacred: a new holiday?

godfry n. glad
09-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Shall we all join in demonstrating for equal nights on September 22?

4:30 GMT it says...I'm Pacific Daylight Time, is that the standard eight hours, or nine, or seven? 8:30 am PST...is that right?

godfry

:weirdthread:

pescifish
09-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Was there a link to go with that? I'm not sure what Sep 22 equal rights day is.
4:30 GMT it says...I'm Pacific Daylight Time, is that the standard eight hours, or nine, or seven? 8:30 am PST...is that right?Pacific Standard Time (PST) = GMT+8
Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) = GMT+7

And I would assume the 4:30 is 04:30 on a 24 clock. So it would be 11:30a PDT.

godfry n. glad
09-20-2004, 04:18 AM
It's at 4:30 pm, according to my calendar. So that's 16:30 GMT. So it'd be 9:30 PDT, same time, same day where I'm at.

That's equal nights, not equal rights.

That's the autumnal equinox. Equinox means "equal nights". Henceforth, in the northern hemisphere the amount of the day in darkness shall exceed the amount of the day in light. (It's spriiiiingtime in Australia and South Africa!!!) There will be increasing amount of darkness each day until the winter solstice in December and then improve until we again have a observation of equal nights in March, on the vernal equinox.

I think these are all good points in time for holidays. For remembrances. For gift giving. For feasts. Four times a year...floating holidays. Nothing to do with Hallmark. Create our own festivities. Steal shamelessly from other traditions. Secular sacred holidays.

:banana::cucumber::pepper::hotmoves::waltz::dance::waltz::hotmoves::carrot::cucumber: :pepper::banana:

As for autumn, it arrived here a bit early. Temperatures have dropped into the low 50s overnight and are topping out in daytime in the mid to upper 60s. It's blustery, too. I kicked on my house furnace and checked out all the vents. Autumn is here. The trees are turning early this year. I've got red maples and lindens in process in my neighborhood. My katusura, usually an earlybird is right behind the maples and will probably pass them and lose all the leaves by October 1.

I'm ready for frost in the air. Cool nights where one's breath can be seen. Brisk walks with leaves crunching underfoot. Apple cheeks. Fire in the fireplace. Irish coffees. Bailey's Irish Cream. Homemade apple pie. :yes!:

Autumn.

....this rumination brought to you by....

godfry n. glad

...oh yeah, football! :cheer:

Ronin
09-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Poop on a stick.

I read "Equal rights" at first as well!

Now it all makes sense.

...and that really scares me.

:scared:

beyelzu
09-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Poop on a stick.

I read "Equal rights" at first as well!

Now it all makes sense.

...and that really scares me.

:scared:

so did I. Turns out none of us can actually read.

:P

pescifish
09-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Oops! At least I wasn't the only one.

It's at 4:30 pm, according to my calendar. So that's 16:30 GMT. So it'd be 9:30 PDT, same time, same day where I'm at.Yup. I was wrong on the direction of my conversion, too. :shutmou:

Happy Holidays, godfry!

godfry n. glad
09-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Oops! At least I wasn't the only one.

It's at 4:30 pm, according to my calendar. So that's 16:30 GMT. So it'd be 9:30 PDT, same time, same day where I'm at.Yup. I was wrong on the direction of my conversion, too. :shutmou:

Happy Holidays, godfry!

:roflmao:

Happy holidays, pesci!

Not to worry. It's a very common response. I did it at HH and got much the same response. People read what they expect into the message. It amuses me much.

Wednesday is the big day. Got any big plans?

I don't do cards, by the way.

Not yet, anyway.

I always end up demonstrating. Literally. Usually for the students I supervise and my co-workers. It's true. I often demonstrate what the equinox means. You'd be amazed the number of people who don't know what "causes" it....the seasons, that is.

Cause for celebration, for sure. :dancin:

Kelly