PDA

View Full Version : How gay are you?

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Something Warren just said in another thread reminded me of an old proposition that I first remember from Gore Vidal - that nobody is 100% gay or 100% heterosexual, but somewhere in-between. So, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being straight as an arrow, 10 being bent as paperclip, how gay are YOU?

I gotta be a 2 or a 3 - in my late teens/early twenties, I would have said a 4, but I have romantically kissed a man which kinda confirmed my staunch heterosexuality. The fact that I even did it in the first place, though, I guess, means I'm not a '1'.

Anybody else?

Legs
12-17-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm in the negatives.

(Despite what Leesifer says)

Leesifer
12-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm with you on this one, Legs.

(As you well know)

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Methinks the ladies doth protest too much!

seebs
12-17-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm about a 1. I don't think guy-bodies are attractive at all.

Ironically, my spouse is a non-transitioning FtM transsexual. So it's not male personality traits that bug me; just the bodies aren't interesting.

SharonDee
12-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I give me a 2. I have often wished I could be turned on by a woman--having been fed up with men--but I can't go against my essential hetero-ness.

When I was in my teens, though, the men weren't lining up for my affections so I got a big ol' crush on my friend for a while. I had no idea what to do beyond kissing--had she let me--so I guess I was a 2 even then.

ETA: I totally forgot about my girl crush on what's-her-name from Firefly. But again we have the what-to-do-with-it issue so I'm still a 2.

godfry n. glad
12-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd say a 1. Men just don't do much for me, but I can express what I think is "attractive" in men...or I think would be, were I a woman. But that's about it.

Dingfod
12-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Methinks the ladies doth protest too much!Yeah, everybody knows most women are just a couple of margaritas away from being bisexual.

Oh, yeah, Edited to Add: I'm about a 2 or 3. I've never had a homosexual experience, but I'm not sure I wouldn't give it a whirl with the right partner. No ass though, I'm not into that.

godfry n. glad
12-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Methinks the ladies doth protest too much!Yeah, everybody knows most women are just a couple of margaritas away from being bisexual.

:yup: Yeah, that's what I heard. :yup: Unh-huh :yup: I thought everybody knew that. :yup: Yessiree. :yup:

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 04:57 PM
The way we phrase it 'round here is, every woman's two drinks away from some girl-on-girl action.

Sira
12-17-2005, 04:58 PM
I was bi-sexual in my teens but having not kissed a man since i was around 18-19, Id have to say I'm 10. Men dont do anything for me.

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I was bi-sexual in my teens but having not kissed a man since i was around 18-19, Id have to say I'm 10. Men dont do anything for me.
But you have kissed men, so we have to knock a point or two off for that, don't we? For lack of a better term, the 'concept' is there for you.

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm about a 1. I don't think guy-bodies are attractive at all.

Ironically, my spouse is a non-transitioning FtM transsexual. So it's not male personality traits that bug me; just the bodies aren't interesting.
Same deal, gotta bump you up a point or two on the emotional aspect. If your spouse is a FtM transsexual, you've gotta be at least partially attracted to something male, regardless of the physical body that does it for you.

Darkchylde
12-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm bisexual (female), so I would probably rate at 5.

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
:welcome2: , Darkchylde.

Does picking the five over the six mean you lean ever-so-slightly towards men?

Darkchylde
12-17-2005, 06:02 PM
:welcome2: , Darkchylde.

Does picking the five over the six mean you lean ever-so-slightly towards men?

No, it means both stand an equal chance. :D

fragment
12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd put it at about 3.

viscousmemories
12-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I'd be a 1 if not for Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Christian Slater and some pretty dude in Ann Arbor. In the right circumstances with such a man and if I were drunk or high enough, something might could happen. Eh, maybe I'm a 1.5. :shrug:

Carnivale Ed
12-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Somewhere inside you, vm, there's a 15 year old girl dying to get out :)

viscousmemories
12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
You've got me confused with my cellar!

Oops! Was I thinking that or did I just say it?

SharonDee
12-17-2005, 06:24 PM
:giggles:

Abdul Alhazred
12-17-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm definitely gay, though I chased girls when young because it was expected.

Silly to put a number to it.

Ymir's blood
12-17-2005, 08:55 PM
If I were interested in sex, I'd be straight thought the alternative doesn't bother me.

JoeP
12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm with you on this one, Legs.You're avoiding the question. How much are you with Legs? 8, 9 or 10?

If I were interested in sex, ...Which makes you a 0? :(

Me: 2 I suppose. 1 by history, 0 by practice.

erimir
12-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm maybe an 8, 8.5.

I mostly like dick, but I have a little attraction for females sometime.

ms_ann_thrope
12-18-2005, 03:15 AM
I mostly like dick, but I have a little attraction for females sometime.Me too. :giggle: I'm prolly about a 4.

Adora
12-18-2005, 04:06 AM
I'm bi, so I guess that makes me both 1 & a 10. ;) I'm 100 humansexual.

Legs
12-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Can someone please explain how 'bi' works with relationships? Do you alternate having a boyfriend for a few months/years and then a girlfriend? Do you marry and then divorce and switch sexes for the next partner/spouse?

Or do you always have a relationship withthe opposite sex but have a sexual interest in the same sex that you do not act upon?

It all seems so confusing

erimir
12-18-2005, 05:32 AM
I would shield myself if I were you Legs, cuz you're about to be called an ignorant whore :yup:

The way I understand it, issues of infidelity, monogamy, serial monogamy, etc. depend on the person. Most bisexuals would be faithful (or whatever the usual rate for fidelity is) and they just fall in love with who they do. Most do not feel the need to have both at the same time - they just can go with either one.

But then again, I have heard of bisexuals who say that they feel like their sexuality sort of alternates.

It's probably more of an individual thing. But I'm sure Adora can elucidate better and more insultingly :P

Adora
12-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Can someone please explain how 'bi' works with relationships? Do you alternate having a boyfriend for a few months/years and then a girlfriend? Do you marry and then divorce and switch sexes for the next partner/spouse? Or do you always have a relationship with the opposite sex but have a sexual interest in the same sex that you do not act upon? It all seems so confusing
It depends. Some bisexuals are simply "there are things about both genders I find attractive & relationship-able". Others are "gender doesn't matter that much to me, there are other things I find sexy or relationship-able about people that have nothing to do with gender" (better defined as pansexual, really). Someone could be bisexual their whole life but still settle down and get married & have 2 & 1/2 kids, if they wanted to & met the right person. Or they have periods where they only date people of the same gender, until they meet someone of the opposite gender who attracts them. There's nothing about being a bisexual that means you're inherently a slut or inherently polyamorous etc etc. As you mentioned, you can be a "closet bisexual" by having a strong desire for the same gender as well as the opposites, but never acting upon it.

A lot of people have misconceptions about bisexuals, and claim they don't like to date them because they feel insecure (some bullshit about their partner being more easily led astray with more "options" open to them), but well, that is mostly caused by said misconceptions rather than the reality of human sexuality. Think of it like this: Some people like only apples, some people like only oranges. Some people like apples and oranges. And other people just like all fruit in general. :D

Carnivale Ed
12-18-2005, 09:47 AM
some bullshit about their partner being more easily led astray with more "options" open to them
What about the fact that you know there's something your partner desires that you can never give them? I don't think that's an unreasonable insecurity.

Adora
12-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I think it is, since there's the same thing in every relationship. No relationship is perfect, ever. And really, if the relationship is going well, and there's no other signs of problems except for the worries of said partner, they're usually unfounded, since the bisexual partner chose to be with that person. So no matter what they desire, if the relationship is still relatively healthy and working (with said exception of individual's insecurities) they already have what they desire.

I mean, it's like the stupid female insecurities about "He says he sometimes likes big tits and I only have small ones". Or male partners worrying about their penis size. Or whatever. A lot of the time it's just stupid personal insecurities.

MooseIBe
12-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Probably a 2 .. I've never had an experience with a woman and though I might kiss one in the right circumstances just to see what it was like I don't find the idea of sex with a woman at all a turn on.

Legs
12-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm sorry if I sounded ignorant :cry:

I didn't mean to, I just don't understand how the average bisexual person doesn't have a real struggle in their life trying to decide what will make them happy and what they want long term.

Being that I am not attracted to women, that pretty well narrowed down my future and how I searched or waited for Mr. Right. What the hell would I do if it could have gone either way? How would I decide what to do?

Adora, I guess from reading your post it is not a general rule but more of a personal, individual decision and every bi sexual person has to work it out for themselves.

I imagine their must be a lot of heartache and soul searching involved. Nothing is simple for you folks. Are bi sexual people every really truly content in their decision? :chin:

SharonDee
12-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Are bi sexual people every really truly content in their decision? :chin:Are you truly content with the man you have chosen? Don't you look at other men and think, "You know, my guy is great and all ... but I'd give him up in a minute if I could have him."

Legs
12-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Well, I would have to say yes, I am content. :yup:

However, if I wasn't I would be thinking - "maybe I need a new man in my life..." not "maybe I need a new man, or woman in my life."

TomJoe
12-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Don't you look at other men and think, "You know, my guy is great and all ... but I'd give him up in a minute if I could have him."

Piss 5, 10, 15, 20 years away in a minute?

I really hope not a lot of people have those sorts of thoughts pass through their mind.

SharonDee
12-18-2005, 04:45 PM
However, if I wasn't I would be thinking - "maybe I need a new man in my life..." not "maybe I need a new man, or woman in my life."And the difference is? You'd have one more choice in replacements; dick or vagina. There are always a number of characteristics to choose from when pairing up with someone. Gender identity is only one.

But once you have chosen--or are chosen--the search is over. You are no more likely to be dissatisfied with your choice if bisexual than if your hetero- or homosexual.

SharonDee
12-18-2005, 04:46 PM

I really hope not a lot of people have those sorts of thoughts pass through their mind.Yeah, really! :eek:

Legs
12-18-2005, 04:52 PM
And the difference is? You'd have one more choice in replacements; dick or vagina.

I feel there would be a lot more to it than that. Especially if you are now coming out about your sexuality for the first time. Also, you may also have the realization you may not have children or may face prejudice in your community, workplace & even family.

It just seems very complex for bi sexuals, moreso even, than homosexuals.. deciding what they want long term.

Laurie
12-18-2005, 09:47 PM
One does hear dreadful stories of bi and gay people being rejected, or facing prejudice from family... but surely there is little prejudice from community. workplace and society in general now, isn't there?

I'm straight by the way... a 1 I guess, I don't find women attractive at all in that sense.

MonCapitan2002
12-18-2005, 09:55 PM
And the difference is? You'd have one more choice in replacements; dick or vagina.

I feel there would be a lot more to it than that. Especially if you are now coming out about your sexuality for the first time. Also, you may also have the realization you may not have children or may face prejudice in your community, workplace & even family.

It just seems very complex for bi sexuals, moreso even, than homosexuals.. deciding what they want long term.
Well then, fuck the assholes who would harbour such biases. I see no reason why bisexuals should have to change the way they live because of the narrowmindedness of a few braindead fuckwits. I would also note that in the event of wanting children, there are other options to obtain them.

Dingfod
12-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Don't you look at other men and think, "You know, my guy is great and all ... but I'd give him up in a minute if I could have him."

I really hope not a lot of people have those sorts of thoughts pass through their mind.A majority of both men and women admit to having affairs during their marriage and about 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Based on those two facts, I'd say it's far more common than you'd like to think.

TomJoe
12-19-2005, 03:51 AM
A majority of both men and women admit to having affairs during their marriage and about 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Based on those two facts, I'd say it's far more common than you'd like to think.

Unfortunately, you're correct. :sadcheer:

justaman
12-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Legs, do they really need to make a decision long term? I'm about as certain as I can be at that I don't ever want a traditional long-term relationship, and I'm very happy with the prospects that belief promises :)

I reckon I'm about a 3. I can find men attractive and I intellectually would love to be bisexual, but the simple fact of the matter is I have no desire whatsoever to ever 'be' with another guy and I get a feeling of revulsion at the thought of actually doing it. Kinda like trying to drink rum and egg nog or having to sit through an entire episode of Neighbours. :bleh:

Adora
12-19-2005, 07:58 AM
I imagine their must be a lot of heartache and soul searching involved. Nothing is simple for you folks. Are bi sexual people every really truly content in their decision? :chin:
Is anyone? Like I said, it comes down to the individual's own take on relationships, and less so their sexuality. I mean, if you buy all the lies about male sexuality, supposedly they're never happy unless they're a walking bag of STDs knocking up anything with tits that passes by them. And if that isn't the biggest load of shite I don't know what is.

The bisexuals I know? Well, yes. Some of them are young, and so still have many potential relationships ahead of them, just like straight or gay people do. Others are older and have been in long-term relationships for a while, and are quite content. Others are as disillusioned with relationships as a straight, gay, etc person who has had hard knocks in love is as well. It's the person, not the sexuality, that does this.

Legs
12-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Legs, do they really need to make a decision long term? I'm about as certain as I can be at that I don't ever want a traditional long-term relationship, and I'm very happy with the prospects that belief promises :)

Honestly, I feel sorry for someone who goes person to person, to person and does not have any long term relationships, or desires for such. It's like a disposable society, done with this one, toss it out and get a new one. People not willing to work at a relationship instead of just saying adios and who's next?

BDS
12-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I see no reason why bisexuals should have to change the way they live because of the narrowmindedness of a few braindead fuckwits. .

And perhaps they shouldn't change their way of life to suit the narrowmindedness of fuckwits who are NOT braindead. The braindead ones don't cause much trouble, actually.

One essence of romance is uncertainty. That's why all the books and movies end when the hero or heroine gets married. Of course romance isn't the be-all and end-all of love -- but it's part of it, surely.

Julian
12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
3.5, I guess...

Noodlenader
12-19-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm a six.

justaman
12-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Honestly, I feel sorry for someone who goes person to person, to person and does not have any long term relationships, or desires for such. It's like a disposable society, done with this one, toss it out and get a new one. People not willing to work at a relationship instead of just saying adios and who's next?
And I honestly pity people in long term relationships :wink: I would never want to be so emotionally dependant on one person. If I'm going to place all of my emotional dependance on a single person, I'd prefer to make that person me, because I can control me. Once you become independant, you no longer need someone to be happy, you already are happy and everything else is a fun bonus :cool:

Adora
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Wow, and people think I'm fucked-up. At least this explains so much of justaman's issues.

MonCapitan2002
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
That is an interesting viewpoint to have. I could never share it, though. I could never allow someone to get close if I have no intention of being around them in the long term. Why let someone in if they will only disappear in the near future?

justaman
12-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Wow, and people think I'm fucked-up. At least this explains so much of justaman's issues.
What issues?! :paranoid: I'm issueless.

I thought if you were EVER going to agree with me about something it'd be the importance of independance...

BDS
12-20-2005, 12:11 AM
How does one get a relationship to be "short term only"?

I guess some parents do it, by kicking their children out of the house when they turn 18.

How does that conversation go for a friend, though?

The best version I've heard involves the famous authors Ben Hecht and Sherwood Anderson. The story is from Hecht's autobiography, "Child of the Century".

Hecht had been friends with Anderson for years when he published his first novel, "Erik Dorn". Anderson read the book, and told Hecht, "It's not bad... I really enjoyed it."

"Thanks," said Hecht.

"But I have something more important to talk about," said Anderson. "It's a big idea I thought up last night. We've been friends for seven years now. That's a long time. The friendship wears off and loses its point. So my idea is that we should become enemies. Real enemies. You do everything you can to attack me -- steal my ideas, seduce my wife -- anything you want. And I'll do the same to you. That way, we'll have more fun, instead of just piddling along and getting bored of each other."

Anderson paused, and looked at Hecht with a chuckle.

"I'll begin with your book, 'Erik Dorn'," he said.

Sweetie
12-20-2005, 02:56 AM
And I honestly pity people in long term relationships :wink: I would never want to be so emotionally dependant on one person. If I'm going to place all of my emotional dependance on a single person, I'd prefer to make that person me, because I can control me. Once you become independant, you no longer need someone to be happy, you already are happy and everything else is a fun bonus :cool:

When you mature past the 20-29 male angst/ego trip/fear of committment (which is very conforming of you I might add, like being rebellious as a teenager, predictable), you might learn that everything is not so black and white.

Seriously, my husband comes home and I'm just gushing about how much I missed him and how I couldn't do without him and how unless he's here with me, I just can't live, how it is that only one person has any room in my heart and how he's my soul mate, and if he died I would never remarry, I could never go on, how his happiness is my happiness and, and, and...... :rolleyes:

I'm happy for him when other women find him attractive, I'm glad he chooses to stay with me, and I try to talk him out of it when he says things like that if I died, he wouldn't remarry.

justaman
12-20-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm sure there was a point in there somewhere...

:)

Johnny Pneumatic
12-20-2005, 05:46 AM
9 or 10. I'm a lesbian, trapped in a man's body. :wink:

Sweetie
12-20-2005, 06:02 AM
I'm sure there was a point in there somewhere...

:)

When you grow up and get over yourself, you'll understand :pat: though I'm aware that you know everything already.

Sweetie
12-20-2005, 06:10 AM
As far as the OP is concerned, don't know what to tell you. There's two scales for me at least, physical attraction and/or emotional attraction.

Then there's a question of how much emotional attraction fuels physical attraction and visa versa. Then there's the question of I'm extremely picky male or female so I can't just say it's so high for one or the other.

:dunno:

Carnivale Ed
12-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I think the point you're missing is that the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts.

Adora
12-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought if you were EVER going to agree with me about something it'd be the importance of independance...
There's independence, and then there's being a psycho control freak. You are definitely a member of the latter category.

JoeP
12-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm a six.This is news.

Dingfod
12-20-2005, 09:08 PM
9 or 10. I'm a lesbian, trapped in a man's body. :wink:My very straight-laced father said, when my sister came out of the closet "I think I'm a lesbian too."

justaman
12-20-2005, 09:13 PM
There's independence, and then there's being a psycho control freak. You are definitely a member of the latter category.
Am I just? And precisely how does my desire to be happy as an individual without needing to rely on another person make me a 'psycho control freak' as opposed to merely 'independant'?

justaman
12-20-2005, 09:15 PM
I think the point you're missing is that the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts.
Having been engaged before, I'm quite certain this isn't true. For me at least. :wink:

cappuccino
12-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I'd say I'm 8 on the scale. I've made out with women and I suppose if I'm inebriated or feeling very adventurous I'd consider doing the nasty with women. But otherwise I'm quite happy with dicks.

justaman
12-20-2005, 10:24 PM
T-bone, your present handle grants you a bonafide 10, there's no getting around it. You are a gay homosexual. :cartman:

cappuccino
12-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh why thank you, Drumstick. :vibes:

justaman
12-20-2005, 10:36 PM
heheh I met this bi guy recently who's also in the Army and he said this before I knew he was bi: "You know what? I've got a real craving for an avacado focaccia" which I don't need to tell ya is an unusual thing to hear declared in a military barracks mess.

This comment ensured that he became my go-to man for any questions on contemporary metro culture for the rest of the course. :giggle:

Dingfod
12-20-2005, 10:52 PM
heheh I met this bi guy recently who's also in the Army and he said this before I knew he was bi: "You know what? I've got a real craving for an avacado focaccia" which I don't need to tell ya is an unusual thing to hear declared in a military barracks mess.

This comment ensured that he became my go-to man for any questions on contemporary metro culture for the rest of the course. :giggle:After the first part, I read the highlighted words as go-go man. I give you an 8, because you have a good beat and you can dance to it.

Adora
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Am I just? And precisely how does my desire to be happy as an individual without needing to rely on another person make me a 'psycho control freak' as opposed to merely 'independant'?
Oh sweetheart. You went way past "Being happy as an individual" when you posted your lovely...
If I'm going to place all of my emotional dependance on a single person, I'd prefer to make that person me, because I can control me.
Emphasis yours. Thank you and goodnight.

justaman
12-20-2005, 11:35 PM
[quote]If I'm going to place all of my emotional dependance on a single person, I'd prefer to make that person me, because I can control me.
Emphasis yours. Thank you and goodnight.
How on Earth does this make me a psycho?! What is the differentiation between dependence and independence if not self-control??

I didn't realise control was such a dirty word. And I also didn't realise you knew so much about me, Adora, I'm touched.

Adora
12-21-2005, 12:28 AM
You can quite easily share mutual emotional dependence in a healthy relationship and still have self control. It's moderation, give and take, compromise. It's a balance.

Saying, flat out, that you could never do any of that just shows that you have no real self-control, and thus are overcompensating by become a control freak. Seriously man, get help.

justaman
12-21-2005, 12:45 AM
You can quite easily share mutual emotional dependence in a healthy relationship and still have self control. It's moderation, give and take, compromise. It's a balance.
Absolutely! I'm not disagreeing with you, man. I'm just asking why must I have another person to achieve the same degree of happiness that I could have as remaining single? Me, I'm a betting man, and the probability of happiness is simply much higher by choosing to be happy as an individual rather than relying on that to be fulfilled by someone else. Because you can control more of the variables.

Which really doesn't mean I don't have meaningful long-term relationships. They're just not based around sex. Nor does it mean I don't have passionate sexual relationships, they're just more brief.

I'm just different to you, so what's wrong with that?

Saying, flat out, that you could never do any of that just shows that you have no real self-control, and thus are overcompensating by become a control freak.
It really isn't, you know! I've tried both and I know which one makes me happier, it isn't rocket surgery.

Seriously man, get help.
Why, to become more like you? Perhaps you're not picking up on it, but you don't really know all that much about me, Adora. :wink:

Sweetie
12-21-2005, 01:09 AM

I think you have difficulty seeing a differentiation between the ideas of "attachment" "preference" and "dependence."

One of the three points in my one post was that no, I am not emotionally dependent on my husband. I could do very well without him, though I'm happy he stays because I prefer to be with him at present, and I am attached to him.

He doesn't always make me happy, sometimes I survive despite him. For years other than sex, he would barely even touch or hug me. He'd be leaving for days, I'd go to give him a hug and kiss good-bye, I was lucky enough to hug him, I was lucky if he'd put his arms around me. Now things are ass-backwards, he's always bugging me for physical affection after I got used to the idea that I wasn't going to get any from him, either learn to live without or seek affection elsewhere so the dude is a little screwed, I adapted and he changed in the meantime.

If he leaves, it would hurt, but I'd go on. Eventually I'd get used to the idea of him not being there, I'd look elsewhere for things I need and enjoy, and that would be that. I'd have some fond memories, but I'd make new ones.

Relationships are arrangements of mutual benefit for two parties. Lasting relationships are those where those within get more than they lose by staying together. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's not, but sometimes it's worth getting through the not nice times for the sake of the nice times that come and go.

I told someone about a year and a half ago the same thing you are saying justaman, exactly the same thing, it was seebs to be specific. I said, I don't need anybody, I'm fine on my own. While that is true on one hand, on the other, it's much nicer to be fine with me and other people. We are social creatures and everything, relationship or no, has it's pros and cons. :dunno:

Adora
12-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Absolutely! I'm not disagreeing with you, man. I'm just asking why must I have another person to achieve the same degree of happiness that I could have as remaining single? Me, I'm a betting man, and the probability of happiness is simply much higher by choosing to be happy as an individual rather than relying on that to be fulfilled by someone else. Because you can control more of the variables.
Well, yes, I agree with you as well, but that's not what you said originally. And then and then you pull out this whole control != happiness which is really messed up.

I'm just different to you, so what's wrong with that?
The whole equation of control = happiness?

Why, to become more like you? Perhaps you're not picking up on it, but you don't really know all that much about me, Adora.
Your point? Welcome to the big wide world, where you can't control people's judgements of you, as much as you'd probably like to, diddums. We really didn't know much about Abe, or Albert, or anybody else who left in a drama-huff, but the point is, we don't need to. Compromise, darling.

justaman
12-21-2005, 01:12 AM
I thought this thread was about gay people, dammit. Always with the girls criticising my way of life.

Sweetie
12-21-2005, 01:24 AM
I thought this thread was about gay people, dammit. Always with the girls criticising my way of life.

:roflmao:

I just can't get over how bloody perfect it is that this thread went the way it did after a recent discussion. It's providence, cleary. Poetic justice/providence, hehe.

There is a God see, and He likes me lots and lots. :yup:

:P

Sweetie
12-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Well, yes, I agree with you as well, but that's not what you said originally. And then and then you pull out this whole control != happiness which is really messed up.

I agree with his sentiment though, as I've said several times over the course of the last year or so, my most recent expression of the sentiment here (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5675), I just think that can be refined and expanded.

Sweetie
12-21-2005, 01:51 AM
nm

Shake
12-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Just found this thread. I'm a 1. Totally straight.

Johnny Pneumatic
12-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Just found this thread. I'm a 1. Totally straight.

I doubt that Shake, you have the second gayest avatar on the forum. The gayest being vm's.

Legs
12-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Awww.. I love vm's

Warren's new avatar is gay though :giggle:

MonCapitan2002
12-22-2005, 04:48 AM
How are vm's, Shake's and Warren's avatars "gay"? The avatar vm uses is Christmassy to me. Shake's avatar is of an animated eye. Warren's avatar is of a painting (I recognise the image, but do not recall the name of the painting or the artist who did it). How can any of these images be consider gay. The avatars are also nonliving things, so they cannot be considered happy and it is impossible for them to have a sexual orientation. The avatars also give no indication of any kind of the sexual orientations of the individuals who use them.

I also can't stand it when the term "gay" is used in such a fashion, but that is neither her nor there.

Johnny Pneumatic
12-22-2005, 05:01 AM
How are vm's, Shake's and Warren's avatars "gay"? The avatar vm uses is Christmassy to me. Shake's avatar is of an animated eye. Warren's avatar is of a painting (I recognise the image, but do not recall the name of the painting or the artist who did it). How can any of these images be consider gay. The avatars are also nonliving things, so they cannot be considered happy and it is impossible for them to have a sexual orientation. The avatars also give no indication of any kind of the sexual orientations of the individuals who use them.

I also can't stand it when the term "gay" is used in such a fashion, but that is neither her nor there.

Lighten up dude, or dudett, or hermaphroditett. I'd wager your life that we're not using "gay" as an epithet in seriousness. So, I don't see the problem. If I'm called a "cracker" or "gringo" I don't care as long as they're only joking. And I don't really give a damn if they're not either. They're the bigot.

Ymir's blood
12-22-2005, 06:07 AM
Warren's avatar is Starry Night by Van Gogh. I rather like it, myself.

viscousmemories
12-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Rudolph's not gay, he's just a snappy dresser.

I like Warren's Starry Night too.

Dingfod
12-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I stood three feet away from the original Van Gogh painting Starry Night when it was displayed in MOMA*, NYC. It mesmerized me. It became my favorite painting that wintery March evening.

*Museum of Modern Art

Legs
12-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Oh come on I was just kidding coz he just switched from the gayest of the gay *Doris* :giggle:

Dingfod
12-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh come on I was just kidding coz he just switched from the gayest of the gay *Doris* :giggle:You could say that switching avatars is a hobby of mine. You could also say switching it away from Doris Day is a Xmas present for Alphabits.

Legs
12-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I need to find a new Avatar.

MonCapitan2002
12-23-2005, 06:55 AM
You can't change it yet. You're Santa's Little Helper. :(

username
12-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Something Warren just said in another thread reminded me of an old proposition that I first remember from Gore Vidal - that nobody is 100% gay or 100% heterosexual, but somewhere in-between. So, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being straight as an arrow, 10 being bent as paperclip, how gay are YOU?

I gotta be a 2 or a 3 - in my late teens/early twenties, I would have said a 4, but I have romantically kissed a man which kinda confirmed my staunch heterosexuality. The fact that I even did it in the first place, though, I guess, means I'm not a '1'.

Anybody else?

Well, what an interesting question. 2nd post here, but I never did believe in being shy so I will just jump right in :popcorn:

Never in my entire life have I met a man (I am male) that I was in any way attracted to. However, a recuring fantasy of mine is meeting a man who pushes down on my shoulders, I drop to my knees and he unzips. His cock is freed and dangling in front of my face. I take it in my mouth and really get into pleasuring him. Eventually he climaxes and empties himself into my mouth and I savor his taste. All I can think of is how wonderful the experience was and how I want to repeat it again.

The only problem with this fantasy is I have never, ever, encountered a real male that I had any such attraction toward (dang it!) and in my fantasy these males have no faces, only cocks and legs.

So, what to make of this? No idea. It is what it is and that is all I can make of it.

So, on a 1-10 scale I would say I am a 1 (totally hetero), but if I ever meet the man who is attached to those fantasy legs and cock I will be a 10 :D

Johnny Pneumatic
12-23-2005, 09:12 AM
The only problem with this fantasy is I have never, ever, encountered a real male that I had any such attraction toward (dang it!) and in my fantasy these males have no faces, only cocks and legs......So, on a 1-10 scale I would say I am a 1 (totally hetero), but if I ever meet the man who is attached to those fantasy legs and cock I will be a 10 :D

You might try seeking out badly burned men.

username
12-23-2005, 09:15 AM
You might try seeking out badly burned men.

Well, thanks... for your poorly executed, but (I assume) well intentioned attempt at humor. :D

Waluigi
12-23-2005, 12:44 PM
username, you're not gay, you're just extremely religious.

The no-face man you seek is god!

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1022/1022_01.asp

Chick tracts make me laugh.

Legs
12-23-2005, 01:18 PM
username, I think you are more than a 1 for entertaining that fantasy in the first place.

livius drusus
12-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I think it's way hot. :yup:

Welcome to FF, username. :welcome1:

Carnivale Ed
12-23-2005, 01:35 PM
username, I think you are more than a 1 for entertaining that fantasy in the first place.
Yep, I'm the self-appointed arbiter, and a fantasy that developed bumps you up to at least a 3, username.

MonCapitan2002
12-23-2005, 04:48 PM
I am probably a 2 or 3.

viscousmemories
12-23-2005, 06:31 PM
2nd post here, but I never did believe in being shy so I will just jump right in :popcorn:
Great entrance. :welcome: to the FF.

wei yau
12-23-2005, 06:32 PM
I think it's way hot. :yup:

No doubt. I thought I was a "1", but after reading that post I'm gonna have to bump that up to a "2" or "3"

Welcome to FF, username. :welcome1:

Welcome, indeed.

happykat
12-23-2005, 08:07 PM
don't know what i am on the scale but username's story did effect me quite nicely. what does mean if you like to see images of same sex couples (especially men), but not necessarily participate? i mean, i'm a girl!

Johnny Pneumatic
12-23-2005, 11:19 PM
what does mean if you like to see images of same sex couples (especially men), but not necessarily participate? i mean, i'm a girl!

It means you like to see images of same sex couples, and, in your case, especially men.

Dingfod
12-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm not sure where I heard this conversation:

Man #1: I'm not gay even a little bit.
Man #2: Do you watch porno?
Man #1: Well, yes.
Man #2: Do you like to watch pornos with men and women having sex?
Man #1: Yes, normal sex. What does that have to do with anything?
Man #2: Would you like to watch a porno where the male star had a tiny little penis?
Man #1: No, that would suck.
Man #2: You're gay. You like men with big penises.

SharonDee
12-24-2005, 12:57 AM
That sounds like a Ron White bit, Warren. I lurv that guy ...

Johnny Pneumatic
12-24-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure where I heard this conversation:

Man #1: I'm not gay even a little bit.
Man #2: Do you watch porno?
Man #1: Well, yes.
Man #2: Do you like to watch pornos with men and women having sex?
Man #1: Yes, normal sex. What does that have to do with anything?
Man #2: Would you like to watch a porno where the male star had a tiny little penis?
Man #1: No, that would suck.
Man #2: You're gay. You like men with big penises.

"Do you just watch lesbian porn?"-Ron White, talking to someone

"Well, no. I'll watch a man make love to a woman"-the someone

"Okay, well do you want the guy to be all small and limp while he's doing it?"-Ron White

"Hell NO! I wanna' see a big hard throbbin' cock! Ooohhh boy. I did not know that about myself!"-the someone

MonCapitan2002
12-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Interestingly enough, I have no interest in seeing men in my porn. I want women, women and only women.

Dingfod
12-24-2005, 01:12 AM
That sounds like a Ron White bit, Warren. I lurv that guy ...Yeah, maybe that's where the someone that I heard it from got it from, but I have no conscious memory of Ron White doing that bit. However, I have seen Ron White on Comedy Central, but like usual, I was probably reading the newspaper or a magazine at the same time.

Adora
12-24-2005, 04:03 AM
To properly analyse username's situation and discuss the issue, I shall need more detailed explanations of his homosexual fantasties...

Legs
12-24-2005, 04:12 AM
I shall need more detailed explanations of his homosexual fantasties...
:hellyes:

Carnivale Ed
12-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Horny bitches :)

Adora
12-24-2005, 06:52 AM
You know you love us, slut.

Dingfod
12-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Damn straight... er, gay... er, uh, whatever. Me too.

username
12-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone, happy some of you had your libido tickled by my story.

Happy whatever holiday(s) you are into!

Bella
12-25-2005, 04:04 AM
5, I think. I'm officially bisexual, though my last two relationships have been with women. I don't know if I'll ever go back to having sex with one, though. I'm selfish; I like my multiple orgasms.

justaman, I guess I'm not around here enough to get any sort of background on the conversation you're having with Adora, et al, but I understand where you're coming from. I hate it when people react to the "I like my independence, thank you" bit with either the "oh poor baby, you've been romantically injured!" or "well, aren't you a control freak" come-back. Everyone has a certain level of commitment or involvement that they're comfortable with - some people like to have their loved ones literally smushed up in their bosom, and others like to have a more arm's-length approach. Neither is wrong, and neither is unfufilling or abnormal. It's up to the individual, I think.

seebs, if you ever get the chance, I'd like to know more about transgenderism (is that a word?). A friend of mine from high school is FtM and while I am supportive of her decision and want her to be happy, I'm still confused as to how it all works.

Carnivale Ed
12-25-2005, 06:13 AM
5, I think. I'm officially bisexual, though my last two relationships have been with women. I don't know if I'll ever go back to having sex with one, though. I'm selfish; I like my multiple orgasms.
Having sex with one what?

MonCapitan2002
12-25-2005, 03:48 PM
I think she may have been referring to individuals who are equipped with penises.

Dingfod
12-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Taken in context of that post alone, I read that the other way around, but perhaps there is context in previous posts that I missed.

Carnivale Ed
12-26-2005, 01:52 AM
I read it the same as Warren, but it's ambiguous, so I was just after clarification.

Johnny Pneumatic
12-26-2005, 05:19 AM
Um, I hear fingers, tongues and dildos work just fine for women. They don't need us. :(

Adora
12-26-2005, 06:43 AM
or "well, aren't you a control freak" come-back
Yes, but justaman dug his own hole with that one, didn't he? Independance != control-freakism, but saying you couldn't handle a real relationship because you can't control the other person IS. Deal.

Adora
12-26-2005, 06:45 AM
You can't hug a dildo, though. Well, not in any really satisfying way. Humans (of any gender) are best for hugging.

Shut up. It's Christmas and I've been killing my brain with fizzy acid, chocolate and Transmet' comics. Joyeux noel.

Johnny Pneumatic
12-26-2005, 07:17 AM
You can't hug a dildo, though. Well, not in any really satisfying way. Humans (of any gender) are best for hugging.

Like I said, you don't need* us. :giggle:

*Other than for knocking you up, without sperm banks, but science is on that problem too.

Carnivale Ed
12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
:huggle: I'm way more hugable than a dildo.

Shut up. It's Christmas and I've been killing my brain with fizzy acid, chocolate and Transmet' comics. Joyeux noel.
*CE licks his fingertip and holds it out into the wind*

Yes, I agree, the air is just right for drinking. Pass me a stubbie, Adora. Happy Christmas!

Carnivale Ed
12-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Ssssshhhhh!!!! If they ever figure out how to kill spiders and take out the garbage, we're screwed!

justaman
12-26-2005, 12:16 PM
or "well, aren't you a control freak" come-back
Yes, but justaman dug his own hole with that one, didn't he? Independance != control-freakism, but saying you couldn't handle a real relationship because you can't control the other person IS. Deal.
You'll notice, Bree, that these are precisely the words I use, of course. I "can't handle" them, as distinct from I "don't prefer" them. :wink: Adora likes me falling into holes for reasons I'm yet to identify. Perhaps because I once told her I didn't like her, which I can now freely admit - in the spirit of Christmas - was unfair and ultimately untrue.

Anyhow, my approach to relationships is one of the few things in my pathetic little life I'm quite content with, and I couldn't agree more with your statement about different approaches not being wrong nor abnormal.

Adora there really isn't anything else except 'control' that distinguishes independance from dependance. I'd be curious to hear how you figure otherwise.

Adora
12-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Ssssshhhhh!!!! If they ever figure out how to kill spiders and take out the garbage, we're screwed!
I can do both, but I still like hugging guys. There's usually more of them to hug, and they feel different to girlies when you hug them. Just as nice in their own way, but still, different.

Also, guys are better conversationists at barbeques than women. Seriously, all women ever seem to do is sit around and bitch about how horrible their mother/children/sister/friends etc are, whereas men tend to tell more interesting stories when they've got a few pints in them.

Sweetie
12-26-2005, 04:46 PM
justaman, I guess I'm not around here enough to get any sort of background on the conversation you're having with Adora, et al, but I understand where you're coming from. I hate it when people react to the "I like my independence, thank you" bit with either the "oh poor baby, you've been romantically injured!" or "well, aren't you a control freak" come-back. Everyone has a certain level of commitment or involvement that they're comfortable with - some people like to have their loved ones literally smushed up in their bosom, and others like to have a more arm's-length approach. Neither is wrong, and neither is unfufilling or abnormal. It's up to the individual, I think.

There's always a "why", we all do things for reasons, nothing is arbitrary especially if there was a "I had a relationship and now know how nasty they are therefore I won't do it again" element to it. In that context, it really is severe. My friend wants to give up on men because of a recent relationship, I'm trying to convince her to take a chance on me instead. :P

All my other friends, they all sleep around, get what they can get and want, and yet they all would say that if a long-term relationship came along that worked, so be it. None of them are afraid of these relationships, none of them would say "never," none of them have ever said, "I've been cheated on by a woman I love, I'll never date again," or any other such thing.

You spoke of having been in a recent abusive relationship. How will that affect your next relationship, why would you look for excuses instead of nailing your partner to the wall with the very bad thing they did? I would argue that it may traumatize one person, and the next it might take them to another extreme but I would argue either way, it must have some effect so for the most part, if there are underlying apparent circumstances, the claim of "baggage" and "control-freakishness" is oftentimes apt and called for. I've certainly been there before, it happens. :shrug:

I do believe that some of my friends are content to be single, I never questioned that that's possible, sure it is. In fact, I said it was very common in boys, I know many, many boys. Sowing the wild oats and all that. In fact, I'm rather glad some are content to be single. I dated a boy and had to push him past that crap when we got pregnant, some days I thank God for such small mercies as that.

JoeP
12-26-2005, 09:49 PM
I think she may have been referring to individuals who are equipped with penises.As opposed to penises equipped with individuals? ... not as common...

Carnivale Ed
12-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Anyhow, my approach to relationships is one of the few things in my pathetic little life I'm quite content with, and I couldn't agree more with your statement about different approaches not being wrong nor abnormal.
To each his own.

Adora there really isn't anything else except 'control' that distinguishes independance from dependance. I'd be curious to hear how you figure otherwise.
The thing that separates independence from dependence, for me, is need, not control. People in a relationship don't necessarily need one another, but may well choose to depend on one another. It's the 'choose' qualification to depend which, I think, makes your use of the word dependence inaccurate.

Bella
12-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Having sex with one what?Sorry, yes - I meant "with persons attached to penises, which go off once or twice and then flooptheend. It's not their fault, of course: they're wired that way.if there are underlying apparent circumstances, the claim of "baggage" and "control-freakishness" is oftentimes apt and called for. I've certainly been there before, it happens. Certainly, certainly. I didn't mean to discredit these sorts of situations; merely, to remind people that it isn't always necessarily the case.

JoeP
12-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry, yes - I meant "with persons attached to penises, which go off once or twice and then flooptheend. It's not their fault, of course: they're wired that way.Excuse me. No wires in my penis thankyouverymuch.

justaman
12-28-2005, 08:04 AM
To each his own.
Giddyup.

The thing that separates independence from dependence, for me, is need, not control. People in a relationship don't necessarily need one another, but may well choose to depend on one another. It's the 'choose' qualification to depend which, I think, makes your use of the word dependence inaccurate.
I don't think an independant person has any less 'need' of happiness than a dependant person. The need is just transferred to the individual. And the only reason this is a good thing - the only reason people suggest that independence is good - is because you can control you better than you can control someone else. Seems to me anyhow.

Sweetie
12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't think an independant person has any less 'need' of happiness than a dependant person.

I doubt that he's speaking of the need for happiness in this case, I think he's speaking of the need for other people, and to what degree this occurs. Personally I think there's a middle of the line balance where people are free to be social creatures, free to love, receive and deserve love, and also free to be independent and themselves. Granted, I think we are pieces of other people to some degree so to what degree we own our own being is a question, but alas.

Sweetie
12-28-2005, 09:04 PM
I was just remembering seebs' post in this one thread, which I thought was very apt and insightful at that time, and I think still is, here. (http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76654&highlight=crisis#post76654) (post #31)

wei yau
12-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Everytime I see this thread title, I'm reminded of the "You know how I know you're gay?" bit in 40-Year Old Virgin. Don't spoil yourself by reading the link if you haven't seen the movie, it's a funny bit.

"You know how I know you're gay" (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0405422/quotes)

Adora
12-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Everytime I see this thread I think of those altered Spider Man comics where Mysterio is so gay for Spidey.

Sadly, I cannot find the images anywhere.

Johnny Pneumatic
12-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Everytime I see this thread I think of those altered Spider Man comics where Mysterio is so gay for Spidey.

Sadly, I cannot find the images anywhere.

You sure you're not talking about Venom? The way he holds Spider-Man with his tongue about to lick his face, gayest looking thing I've ever seen, and I've seen freaky deaky homoerotic hentai.

Sweetie
12-29-2005, 04:47 AM
I had something happen on Thursday, I don't feel like talking about it.

I know this much, I know I like women visually and physically. I know I'm not so fond of them emotionally, but there might be a few who could sneak in, but I tend to just feel no mercy to women when I'm mad or upset and I judge them more harshly as well as hold them to a higher standard. It's maybe a natural aggressive competition thing, I don't know. I haven't ever tried to overcome it, there's never been any reason to. :shrug:

So, for how much I visually like women, I'm probably a 7.5, men are probably a 5 for me, but I'm not a really visual person either way.

Physically, 8 for females, 8 for males.

Emotionally, 3 for females as far as my desire to love or be loved for women, or feel affection for them, and about 8.5 for males. I consider myself predominately heterosexual.

Johnny Pneumatic
12-29-2005, 05:05 AM
I had something happen on Thursday, I don't feel like talking about it.

So, you went down on another woman, big deal. Enough alcohol ingested can allow people do anything, even break the laws of physics*.

*At least they think they can

Adora
12-29-2005, 06:33 AM
You sure you're not talking about Venom?
No, not really. There's this bunch of comic-strip skits where someone altered the images to make it look like Mysterio was stalking Spidey. Very 13-year-old humour, but I'm easily amused.

Oh, wait, found it. I'll make a new thread to post the images in. There's a lot of them.

erimir
12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Never in my entire life have I met a man (I am male) that I was in any way attracted to. However, a recuring fantasy of mine is meeting a man who pushes down on my shoulders, I drop to my knees and he unzips. His cock is freed and dangling in front of my face. I take it in my mouth and really get into pleasuring him. Eventually he climaxes and empties himself into my mouth and I savor his taste. All I can think of is how wonderful the experience was and how I want to repeat it again.

The only problem with this fantasy is I have never, ever, encountered a real male that I had any such attraction toward (dang it!) and in my fantasy these males have no faces, only cocks and legs.
Alright, meet me out back. You'll know it's me because I'll be wearing a ski mask.

Carnivale Ed
12-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Be sure to videotape for the benefit of Legs and Adora. Horny bitches.