PDA

View Full Version : Will the batshit crazy never end?

Petra
10-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Okay, so a....*group of folks* ...would like to get rid of Sharon in Israel. Fair enough, I thought when I read the headline, the man needs to go - he's dangerous.

Then I read further... :eek:

What the fuck is happening in the world? The three Abrahamic giants are getting nuttier by the hour, it seems. I really fear the future of the planet we all must share. Dammit, just a few short years ago, I was so hopeful for the world - we were having summits on environmental issues; the UN started a childrens peace ark; and with the exception of one or two rogues, we were progressing well, I thought.

Now fundamental religious extremism is behind the wheel, and our train has been derailed. How far will this go? Back to the dark ages? How far will it spread? Will it come here? It's trying to through Brian Tamaki's Destiny Church... I'm really afraid for this world. We lost something beautiful and the ugly is spreading faster than I feel comfortable with. :(

Anyway, the article: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer&cid=1096959302225&p=1006688055060

A group of right-wing Jewish activists reenacted a religious ritual from the First Temple period at the Shiloah Spring in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan Tuesday night, with the goal of removing Prime Minister Ariel Sharon from power and instituting a Jewish monarchy.

With shofars blasting in the background, the group – led by Prof. Hillel Weiss, a well-known Temple Mount activist and a lecturer on literature at Bar-Ilan University, and Rabbi Yosef Dayan, who recently threatened to instigate a death curse against Sharon – conducted the nisuah hamayim ritual, which they said "will begin the process of removing the secular Israeli government."

"This ceremony will lay the foundations for instituting a Jewish king, a Jewish court, and the Third Temple," Weiss told the 40 participants sitting near the Shiloah Spring. "We will draw inspiration and strength from the ceremony as the holy priests did in Temple times, and we will ensure that the Jewish people will not be removed from their land."

Standing next to the running water, said to also be used in Temple times to spiritually cleanse the high priest during the Yom Kippur services, Dayan blew the shofar while Weiss collected holy water.

"The purpose of the ceremony is to remove the current government, and in order to do so we need to draw strength from the pools of salvation," Weiss said. "If we want to make a revolution, then we need to change the course of the winds blowing among the people."

Weiss, who recently published a book calling for the institution of a Jewish monarchy in the State of Israel, refrained from spelling out how he intends to "remove Sharon," but did say that the "religious powers will grant us the strength to do so."

Dayan, rabbi of the settlement of Psagot, was not so reluctant.

"Sharon's plan is insane and I wish for his death," he said. "We want a Jewish monarchy in Israel and not a secular government with secular political parties. The decisions made by the majority are not decisions since the majority is stupid."

Having lived in Jerusalem, I know the nutjobs who live in an orthodox suburb called Mea Sharim (sp?), and these people will throw acid in a girl's face (as they did a few times while I was there) just for dressing "immodestly". "Immodestly" is of course a sliding scale depending on the level of sick pervertedness the accuser of "immodesty" has reached. For some, it's showing some midriff, for some it's showing some ankle, for some it's wearing makeup.

Scary shit. :(

Ronin
10-08-2004, 01:05 AM
I don't know.

How many more threads are there going to be?

:wink:

Petra
10-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Smartarse. :D

beyelzu
10-08-2004, 03:23 AM
while ronin beat me to it.

I dont think we can ever be safe in a world where not even someone as experienced as Lunachick cant stop double posting new threads.

I think its all part of the curse that the rabbi is doing.

a death curse on sharon and posting curse for us ffers.

:naughty:

notice the clever use of a smilie I know you love so you cant get mad at me?

beyelzu
10-08-2004, 03:24 AM
Having lived in Jerusalem, I know the nutjobs who live in an orthodox suburb called Mea Sharim (sp?), and these people will throw acid in a girl's face (as they did a few times while I was there) just for dressing "immodestly". "Immodestly" is of course a sliding scale depending on the level of sick pervertedness the accuser of "immodesty" has reached. For some, it's showing some midriff, for some it's showing some ankle, for some it's wearing makeup.

Scary shit. :(

are you serious,

fucking acid? :eek: I didnt realize that orthodox jews could be such nutjobs

Petra
10-08-2004, 04:34 AM
are you serious,

fucking acid? :eek: I didnt realize that orthodox jews could be such nutjobs

Yes, I'm serious.

Yes, orthodox Jews are nutjobs. They are real fundamentalists, and as scary as anything you, ahhm...*group of folks* have in the US, or that they have in Islamic Sharia law nations.

I only just realised I posted this topic twice. :doh: Sorry about that - dunno how that happened. :blush:

I thought Ronin was just ribbing me, 'cos he's like that. :naughty: :wink:

viscousmemories
10-08-2004, 05:18 AM
I was gonna delete the redundant thread, but then the jokes wouldn't be as funny. :)

Godless Dave
10-08-2004, 12:24 PM
It's times like this I realize I'm not cynical enough.

"When the going gets weird the weird go pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

livius drusus
10-08-2004, 12:48 PM
What a bunch of freaks. They sound like the Reconstructionists here in the US, although actually, now that I think of it, our theocratic nutters at least stop short of demanding a monarchy. :no2:

WRT the monstruous acid attacks, they happen all over the world. Human right orgs classify them as "honor crimes" (see this page (http://www.fco.gov.uk/Xcelerate/graphics/images/fcomain/hr/chapter09.html) for a quick description) and Bangladesh seems to me particularly hard-hit. The Acid Survivors Foundation (http://www.acidsurvivors.org/index_home.htm) was founded by Bangladeshi survivors and does amazing work, both in providing care and support for victims and in fighting the practice through education, legal and political activism.

Godless Dave
10-08-2004, 01:44 PM
As to the question asked in the OP:
Will the batshit crazy never end?

No. As long as humans exist some of us will do stupid violent self-destructive shit.

Ronin
10-08-2004, 02:52 PM
As to the question asked in the OP:
Will the batshit crazy never end?

No. As long as humans exist some of us will do stupid violent self-destructive shit.

Well said, GD.

For years I was consumed with despair regarding what I was experiencing directly from the bottom of the barrel of humanity.

One night I realized that there are those who make up the difference.

I decided to hang out with them more.

Godless Dave
10-08-2004, 03:12 PM
For years I was consumed with despair regarding what I was experiencing directly from the bottom of the barrel of humanity.

I hope you give yourself some credit for being one of the people who do what they can to rectify fucked up situations on a daily basis. I doubt I would have the stomach for your job even if I could beat the drug tests.

viscousmemories
10-08-2004, 03:17 PM

I hope you give yourself some credit for being one of the people who do what they can to rectify fucked up situations on a daily basis. I doubt I would have the stomach for your job even if I could beat the drug tests.
Hear, hear. I was gonna say... I appreciate being able to choose to hang out with the people who make up the difference most of the time, and I owe that ability to the people like yourself who have done the difficult job of hanging around the others. Thanks Ronin.