PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Notes: 120 Million Users, 119 Million Haters

livius drusus
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
How can a program be so bad, yet thrive? (http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1705106,00.html)

The panoply of interface errors raises two questions. Why do users hate Notes so much? And why, then, do they use it? The answers illuminate a typical process when companies buy "enterprise" software: the people who choose a product tend not to be the ones who use it.

As one of the long-suffering victims of Lotus Notes' horrendous interface and unbelievably clunky back end, I just could not agree more.

One example of the horror, the horror from my experience is when the company upgraded to Notes 6.5. They committed to it completely, rolled it out to hundreds of offices, only to find that it was such a resource hog that people had to click, go get some coffee, have a little chat with the receptionist, gaze out the window dreamily, and mosey on back taking their own sweet time, just to open the damn thing. Once it was open, good luck trying to work on anything else, especially a spreadsheet of any size.

For 6 months they let people "work" like this, until finally enough high-powered types bitched about it that the IT decision makers spent hundreds of thousands of dollars doubling the RAM of every single computer in the company. It was unspeakbly stupid in every possible way.

Kevlar
02-10-2006, 07:11 PM
How can a program be so bad, yet thrive? (http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1705106,00.html)

The panoply of interface errors raises two questions. Why do users hate Notes so much? And why, then, do they use it? The answers illuminate a typical process when companies buy "enterprise" software: the people who choose a product tend not to be the ones who use it.

As one of the long-suffering victims of Lotus Notes' horrendous interface and unbelievably clunky back end, I just could not agree more.

One example of the horror, the horror from my experience is when the company upgraded to Notes 6.5. They committed to it completely, rolled it out to hundreds of offices, only to find that it was such a resource hog that people had to click, go get some coffee, have a little chat with the receptionist, gaze out the window dreamily, and mosey on back taking their own sweet time, just to open the damn thing. Once it was open, good luck trying to work on anything else, especially a spreadsheet of any size.

For 6 months they let people "work" like this, until finally enough high-powered types bitched about it that the IT decision makers spent hundreds of thousands of dollars doubling the RAM of every single computer in the company. It was unspeakbly stupid in every possible way.

AMEN livius! The user interface is like something from a freshman computer science project. To say 119 out of 120 million users hate it is saying that there are 1 million people out there that don't hate, and that has to be a gross overexaggeration.

livius drusus
02-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I'll drink to that, she said as she glared at the ancient template designs in the folders leftover from 5.5 which she can't update 'cause it gives her a different error every time she tries.

:saddrunk:

Dingfod
02-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Lotus Notes? I had almost completely forgotten about Lotus Notes. Notes was my first company email program, had it until about 1997 when the corporate wigs sold their soul to Bill Gates.