PDA

View Full Version : HELP, this election is going to turn me into an obese alcoholic...

Lauri D
11-05-2004, 10:59 PM
OK probably not, as I am feeling better today (quite sober and didn't even finish the WHOLE bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, but...)

I just get really depressed every time I start ruminating on it, and this whole week has been a blur, and I've been eating and drinking all kinds of crap in the evening quite joylessly as some sort of compulsive attempt to numb my sorrows.

What should I do to perk myself up? Dan is napping so maybe I should get outside and go for a walk or something... is anyone else suffering from a post-election malaise and does anyone have some constructive suggestions for me? :sadcheer:

Lauri D
11-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Meep. This should be in the Watering Hole I guess. Sowwy...

Socratoad
11-05-2004, 11:10 PM
I tried slicing my throat, but the knife was too dull. Nothing has gone right this week. :(

LadyShea
11-05-2004, 11:17 PM
You could return my phone calls, or answer them, for one thing, bitch! ;)

Anyhoo, during our unfortunate economic troubles of 2003, then subsequent immersion into the wonderful world of medically assisted reproduction, I had let my activism (and most memberships) lapse. Today I renewed with the ACLU with a hefty donation, included Frankie (who had NEVER wanted to join before, and today said "Yes, I want a card too"), am about to renew my NOW membership and began researching organizations looking at election reform. It's a start, and it makes me feel somewhat better.

Corwin
11-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Look, the whole situation is depressing, sure. But it's not as if there aren't at least some tarnished linings here.

Do like I've done. Let this bullshit galvanize you. Yeah, I got reasonably smashed on election night. I've moped for a few days.... but I finally realized moping wasn't going to do any good, and aside from hitchhiking to canada I couldn't actually leave the country over it.

So I'm volunteering with the Democrats, (something I normally don't do outside a campaign year) MoveOn, and anybody else I can think of. We have to be heard here.... or in 2008 not only will things be worse, but those who could change things won't.

Lauri D
11-05-2004, 11:19 PM
LOL... sorry Brandi, I was going to wait til tonight. I didn't see that I had missed the call last night til this morning. :blush:

livius drusus
11-05-2004, 11:29 PM
All moved and cozy, Lauri. :)

I'm with Corwin and Shea on this one: surf the wave of nausea instead of wiping out under its pressure. Here ends the most hideous metaphor I've ever coined. Please accept my apologies.

On a less disgusting note, how about reading something to help put things in perspective? I'm starting on Zinn's People's History, for example. I've never actually read it and now seems like a very good time.

Lauri D
11-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

I think for the moment I'll read a bit of my newest book, "An Obsession With Butterflies: Our long love affair with a singular insect".

Socratoad
11-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

I think for the moment I'll read a bit of my newest book, "An Obsession With Butterflies: Our long love affair with a singular insect".

That' a good idea Lauri, and kiss the sacred turtle. :D

ApostateAbe
11-06-2004, 03:19 AM
OK probably not, as I am feeling better today (quite sober and didn't even finish the WHOLE bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, but...)

I just get really depressed every time I start ruminating on it, and this whole week has been a blur, and I've been eating and drinking all kinds of crap in the evening quite joylessly as some sort of compulsive attempt to numb my sorrows.

What should I do to perk myself up? Dan is napping so maybe I should get outside and go for a walk or something... is anyone else suffering from a post-election malaise and does anyone have some constructive suggestions for me? :sadcheer: Every time you get depressed from the election, ask Dan to slap you in the face on my behalf. Or if he is afraid of a domestic assault charge, slap yourself and imagine it is me doing it. My life was good before Bush was re-elected, and it is going to get better now that he won. That is because the president has very little bearing on what happens to my life. You invested too much of your hope into the presidential election. You depended on something that you have no control over. You built your house on the sand, as Christians would put it. Now snap out of it.

http://www.futurama-madhouse.com.ar/fanart/tokash/slap.gif

Roland98
11-06-2004, 03:29 AM
My life was good before Bush was re-elected, and it is going to get better now that he won. That is because the president has very little bearing on what happens to my life. You invested too much of your hope into the presidential election. You depended on something that you have no control over. You built your house on the sand, as Christians would put it. Now snap out of it.

Uh, at the risk of taking this down yet another dark post-election gloom and doom path, may I point out that not all of us are as worried about what's going to get shittier for us, personally, as we are for how screwed over some of our fellow countrymen (and hell, citizens of earth) are going to be? I have little doubt that my life personally will be much affected by the results of the election (although since I am a scientist, it will certainly have some bearing on my career due to Bush's science policies), but my gay friends' lives certainly may be, the lives of many of my working-class friends and relatives certainly may be, my parents' lives will be for several reasons (and my dad's already has been, as he was one of those who was affected by the change in overtime payment); and my cousin's and other friends' lives have been, as they are soldiers serving around the globe and will likely see time in Iraq soon. We are not all just moping out of our own self-interests, you know.

(And Lauri, it's been mostly chocolate for me. Damn leftover Halloween candy!)

ApostateAbe
11-06-2004, 03:53 AM
My life was good before Bush was re-elected, and it is going to get better now that he won. That is because the president has very little bearing on what happens to my life. You invested too much of your hope into the presidential election. You depended on something that you have no control over. You built your house on the sand, as Christians would put it. Now snap out of it.
Uh, at the risk of taking this down yet another dark post-election gloom and doom path, may I point out that not all of us are as worried about what's going to get shittier for us, personally, as we are for how screwed over some of our fellow countrymen (and hell, citizens of earth) are going to be? I have little doubt that my life personally will be much affected by the results of the election (although since I am a scientist, it will certainly have some bearing on my career due to Bush's science policies), but my gay friends' lives certainly may be, the lives of many of my working-class friends and relatives certainly may be, my parents' lives will be for several reasons (and my dad's already has been, as he was one of those who was affected by the change in overtime payment); and my cousin's and other friends' lives have been, as they are soldiers serving around the globe and will likely see time in Iraq soon. We are not all just moping out of our own self-interests, you know.

(And Lauri, it's been mostly chocolate for me. Damn leftover Halloween candy!) That is all true, but none of that should be allowed to raise anyone's stress level more than it needs to. Bush has influence over everyone's lives, no doubt about it. But that influence is small in comparison to the inlfuence of yourself, your friends, your family, and your associates. One's time, emotional stress, concerns, etc. should not wasted on something you have no influence over.

The Lone Ranger
11-06-2004, 04:59 AM
On a less disgusting note, how about reading something to help put things in perspective? I'm starting on Zinn's People's History, for example. I've never actually read it and now seems like a very good time.

A People's History of the United States should be required reading for every citizen of this nation.

As far as the election goes, I keep hoping that the results will be what finally gets the DNC to wake up and grow a collective spine. Democrats, if they ever expect to get back into power, have got to learn to confront those who would use lies and distortion to paint the policies of "Liberals" as bad for the average American and the policies of "Conservatives" as good for the average American.

More to the point, I think that the Democratic party needs to get back to its roots and stop acting like "Republicans Lite." I really wish the Republicans would develop the collective guts to cut the NeoCons and Religious Right adrift too, and get back to their roots. What Bush and Company are doing and promoting bears little resemblance to old-fashioned Conservative traditions and values.

In short, while I think that the short-term results of a Bush victory are bad for the country, the long-term results might actually turn out okay, if it encourages both major parties to get back to their roots. The Democrats because maybe they'll finally get the message loud and clear that they're only shooting themselves in the foot by making themselves out as pseudo-Republicans, and the Republicans because maybe they'll recognize that the NeoCons and Religious Right are dragging the Grand Old Party into the sewer.

We can hope, can't we?

Cheers,

Michael

Corwin
11-06-2004, 05:51 AM

A People's History of the United States should be required reading for every citizen of this nation.

As far as the election goes, I keep hoping that the results will be what finally gets the DNC to wake up and grow a collective spine. Democrats, if they ever expect to get back into power, have got to learn to confront those who would use lies and distortion to paint the policies of "Liberals" as bad for the average American and the policies of "Conservatives" as good for the average American.

More to the point, I think that the Democratic party needs to get back to its roots and stop acting like "Republicans Lite." I really wish the Republicans would develop the collective guts to cut the NeoCons and Religious Right adrift too, and get back to their roots. What Bush and Company are doing and promoting bears little resemblance to old-fashioned Conservative traditions and values.

In short, while I think that the short-term results of a Bush victory are bad for the country, the long-term results might actually turn out okay, if it encourages both major parties to get back to their roots. The Democrats because maybe they'll finally get the message loud and clear that they're only shooting themselves in the foot by making themselves out as pseudo-Republicans, and the Republicans because maybe they'll recognize that the NeoCons and Religious Right are dragging the Grand Old Party into the sewer.

We can hope, can't we?

Cheers,

Michael

Hear hear. And I hope to verbally smack some sense into a few of said Democrats.

Unfortunately, Bush DOES have a strong impact on my life, and I don't see things getting much better with his election. (I won't say RE-election...) I agree that I have some control over the direction of my life, but I can't gut the federal budget, block an extension of unemployment benefits, run up huge national deficits, or draft people into the military.

Bush is evil, corrupt, selfish, short sighted and stupid. He is surrounded by people who are just as evil, corrupt, selfish, and shortsighted as he is, but who aren't stupid, just amazingly cynical and selfish. Unlike his predecessors, (his father and Reagan) he also has his own party in the majority in congress.... which removes one of the ONLY checks on his power... and he's been working on the only other one as well. (The judiciary.)

Godless Dave
11-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Obese alcoholic? I'm way ahead of you sister.

Shake
11-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Majority in Congress, yes. But still not the 60 Senators needed to make things really smooth sailing for him. The Dems are down, but not out yet. Also, I'll repeat something I've been saying across the boards: we've still got congressional elections in '06 which could help turn things around.

Now, I haven't done the research to find out who's up for re-election in '06 yet, but there's bound to be some seats which could change hands.

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

Dingfod
11-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Obese alcoholic? I'm way ahead of you sister.Me too, but can I use this election as an excuse?

Roland98
11-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Now, I haven't done the research to find out who's up for re-election in '06 yet, but there's bound to be some seats which could change hands.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1270600/posts

I don't get to vote on a senator in 2006. :(

Shake
11-09-2004, 02:51 PM

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1270600/posts

I don't get to vote on a senator in 2006. :(
Thanks, Roland. You're the best! :wink:

I get to try to keep Mrs. Clinton in office (presuming that she'll run for re-election).