Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > Fragmentation

Scattered commentary from my time on the planet...
Ecology
Old
Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Fish posters

Posted 03-17-2008 at 09:39 AM by fragment (Fragmentation)

You can find anything on the web. Here's my new favourite site - Fish Posters of the World.

I swiped a couple of pics as a taster:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	germany-tiefsee.jpg
Views:	14453
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2   Click image for larger version

Name:	srilanka-freshwater.jpg
Views:	27371
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	3  
mesospheric bore
Posted in Ecology, Random
Old

Read these ones a few weeks back...

Posted 02-15-2008 at 01:54 AM by fragment (Fragmentation)

I'm trying to post a little bit here about the books I read... I got round to writing brief notes on these ones before I went on holiday, but not as far as posting it. Here ya go. I'll try to catch up on the ones I read while on holiday sometime soon.

Paul R Ehrlich & Anne H Ehrlich, A Betrayal of Science and Reason: How Anti-Environmental Rhetoric Threatens Our Future. Pretty much what the subtitle says. I didn't find this the most engaging reading, and skimmed over the parts...
mesospheric bore
Posted in Ecology, Climate, Books
Old

Recent reads

Posted 12-05-2007 at 02:38 AM by fragment (Fragmentation)

I wanted to give a shout out to a bunch of books I've read recently. Well, I wanted to write up a post reviewing each one, but that turned out to be overly ambitious given other constraints on my life, and they're due back at the library already. So here's the brief shout:

The Future Eaters, by Tim Flannery. Ecological history of Australia, New Guinea, New Zealand and New Caledonia. Fascinating, takes in a broad sweep from the break-up of Gondwana through to recent human impacts,...
mesospheric bore
Posted in Ecology, Climate, Books
Old

It begins...

Posted 11-05-2007 at 05:29 AM by fragment (Fragmentation)

I finally decided to take the plunge.

For the last few ideas I've been toying with the idea of returning to University, 15 years after I quit part-way through a philosophy degree. Now I've decided the time is right, and, starting next February, I'll be relocating to Dunedin and beginning the University of Otago's ecology programme.

The registration pack arrived in the mail today. I'm both excited and daunted. It's been quite some time since I was in tertiary education,...
mesospheric bore
Posted in Ecology, Study