Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > BrotherMan

Rate this Entry

You can hate me now.

Posted 12-30-2007 at 07:37 PM by BrotherMan

I know you've been waiting with baited breath, so here it is. My year in movies. I left out rentals because they just don't count. And I didn't watch very many.
  1. Transformers :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yeah, I don't get it either. It's just robots beating the crap out of each other. I shouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did. But I did enjoy it. A lot.

2. Harry Potter :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

This movie was everything that Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith should have been. Although the outcome was the opposite, it was a better characterization of how a good boy can be seduced into darkness. I'm not a book reader but I could tell there was a lot left out. The remaining story was cohesive enough for me to follow. This is my favorite Potter movie.

3. Live Free or Die Hard :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Another one that probably shouldn't be so high in my rankings. Even less believable than the others but still one heck of a good time.

4. Grindhouse :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I loved both installments of this double feature. Complete with the gore and the "missing" reels. A beautiful statement of babes, blood, bullets, zombies and mayhem.

5. 300 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

This! Is! SPARTA! A comic book fable retelling of … feh, you know this. Mostly naked men shouting and fighting in slow motion. A man's man movie, but not in a gay way. (Yeah, right.)

6. Pirates of the Carribean :cheer: :cheer: :sadcheer:

At least it's over. Although not as horrid as the Matrix trilogy. I liked it but I wasn't infatuated with it as I was the first.

7. The Bourne Ultimatum :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

If they'd given the camera crew the steady-cam this would have been a much better movie. It ended like a Stephen King novel. It's just kinda over now.

8. 30 Days of Night :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

9. Sweeney Todd :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

10. The Golden Compass :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I can't put my finger on why this wasn't better (in my opinion). Part of it was the ending expected a sequel that, well, may not be deserved. But there was something missing before the end came. Despite those misgivings, I enjoyed it. Especially the bear. I loved the bear. It took me a few lines, but, yay! Sir Ian McKellen!
  11. Beowulf :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

12. Spider-Man 3 :cheer: :cheer:

Too busy, too whiny. Not enough Spider-Man as Spider-Man and too much Toby as Peter as Spider-Man. Pick one plot line and run, not three.

13. I am Legend :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

14. National Treasure :cheer: :cheer:

15. TMNT :cheer: :cheer:

A fun cg movie about those whacky mutated martial arts wise cracking turtles. Very fluff but very fun.

16. Resident Evil :cheer:

Admission: I purposely went to see this with a friend who I knew would be in for watching a bad movie. It may have been atrocious, but I was having fun anyway. I'm actually considering buying the trilogy.

17. Fantastic Four :cheer:

The Surfer was the best thing about this movie. I think it was a little better than the first installment. But the fucking Dodge commercials before and during the movie set me off and I refuse to like it.

18. Ghost Rider :sadcheer: :sadcheer:

Another movie with a friend who can enjoy a bad cinema experience. We laughed and laughed and it didn't help this bomb.

19. AvP :sadcheer:

Despite the stinkers I saw this year, this was the absolute worst of them.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 20964 Comments 3 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Unless you've been eating sardines that should be 'bated breath' in your opening line of this post.

I didn't see many of the movies you did. I saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I recall being fairly well entertained by that one. I'd have to say that Spiderman 3 and Pirates 3 were two that I rather enjoyed, great escapism. I saw 300, but it failed in many respects. Not only do I find it unlikely that there were 300 men anywhere with abs that cut, I found it unlikely that the Persians were led by a bald giant with a voice impediment.

My two favorite movie of 2007 were The Bourne Ultimatum and 3:10 to Yuma, followed closely by Rattatouille. Yes, an animated film was a favorite, as was The Incredibles last year. I was pretty well entertained by Superbad, August Rush, Waitress, Stardust and Enchanted. The other movies I saw this past year weren't very notable, only mildly entertaining, such as Astronaut Farmer, Wild Hogs, Meet the Robinsons, Hot Fuzz, and Shrek 3. But none of the movies I saw in 2007 made me want those minutes of my life back.
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Unless you've been eating sardines that should be 'bated breath' in your opening line of this post.
    I should stop using that phrase.

Quote:
    I'd have to say that Spiderman 3 and Pirates 3 were two that I rather enjoyed, great escapism.
    I agree. They were fun in a year of unserious movies. Looking up, I think Spider-Man deserves another cheer. I think I got a little zealous taking out some emoties because I can only have 50 per post. Neither were bad but I could hope for more.

Quote:
    I saw 300, but it failed in many respects.
    That's the joy of subjectivity. I got more entertainment out of it even knowing everything was blown outlandishly out of proportion.

Quote:
    Ratatouille
    I should have been all over this movie. First, Brad Bird. He's directed two of my favorite animated movies. The Iron Giant and The Incredibles. Plus, Pixar. Maybe I was still gun shy because of Cars? (A movie I thought was good but not Toy Story good.)

I don't know how I missed Hot Fuzz in my search, but I did. I hadn't seen Shaun of the Dead before but I knew of it from the in-geek-crowd. It's a definite :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I'd stick it between 300 and Grindhouse.

And I didn't see any of the others you mentioned.
  3. Old Comment
    Other than 3:10 to Yuma, you didn't miss much.