Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > Cream of The Crap

1. Old Comment
  2. Old Comment

My Mafia History

This is so adorable I can hardly stand it.
  3. Old Comment
  4. Old Comment

Flying Update / Decision Point

Actually, the statistics show that glider flying is much safer than flying light (powered) aircraft. :yup:

Gliders are designed to fly without engines and pilots are trained to operate them safely. They normally only fly in good weather. Gliders have a very flat glide angle so from any given height the pilot has lots of choice to select a safe landing area. Even when things go wrong and an accident occurs, the pilot often survives as gliders only fly relatively slowly.

In contrast, when a light aircraft accident occurs through failure of the engine, pilot error or other mishap, the pilot has a much smaller margin for choosing the crash site, and the crash will be at a higher speed. The occupant(s) is/are surrounded by dangerous hot machinery and toxic highly inflamable fuel. :onfire:

The fact that many light aircraft accidents (and subsequent fatalities) are due to engine failure shows why gliders are so safe: if there isn't an engine, then it can't go wrong!
  5. Old Comment

I don't care how thrilling it is, purposely flying in a plane without an engine is a suicide waiting to happen. Be careful Crumb :hug:
  6. Old Comment

Thanks, cep! I'm leaning toward going forward with gliding, and I have thought about the RC angle. It would be much less expensive to do RC and I would have more opportunity to actually do it (and less planning ahead). But it isn't nearly as thrilling. I'm still of two minds about it, as you can tell.
  7. Old Comment

The trick to the towing is not to over correct.

Keep the glider wings parallel to the wings of the tug (so if the tug is level, keep your wings level, and if it banked say ten degrees, then keep the glider banked ten degrees also). If you do this, then even if the glider is out to the one side, the tension in the rope will tend to pull you back in line.

You still have to worry about keeping at the right height relative to the tug - the trick here is to only change height slowly - especially if you have to move down relative to the tug - if you lose height too quickly, then the tow rope goes slack, and that is not a good situation. :nope:

Only you can decide whether it's worth the cost of continuing. For most people, learning is the best bit. Once you have gone solo and done your first few soaring flights, then it can become a bit :meh: for some.

I never regretted the money I spent on gliding.

If you decide not to continue you can get back to model flying :yup: - this is harder than flying full size, though of course the consequences of getting things wrong are much less.
  8. Old Comment

First Flight, part 2

Takes me back!

We normally only tow up to 2000ft in the UK (thermals here are usually smaller but closer together than in the USA - also cloud base is probably lower, on average).

The pawnee is a powerful tug. I was normally towed by a Super Cub, though I was once towed up by a Tiger Moth (old low-power biplane); I was flying a K8 glider that time - the Tiger Moth pilot was a keen sailplane pilot himself and at 1000ft waved me off (signalled for me to disconnect from the tow) as he knew we were flying through good lift.

You'll love it once the weather improves enough for you to do a few more flights - then you'll start doing most of the flying yourself - first while you're up high, then the take-off and aerotow and soon after that, the landings! :)
  9. Old Comment

First Flight, part 2

Oh Crumb, how exciting! Can't wait to hear about your next flight lesson.
  10. Old Comment

Last Weekend and Next Weekend

Thanks, cep! I will be taking my first flight Saturday!
  11. Old Comment

Last Weekend and Next Weekend

I used to do a lot of glider flying. I got my silver C and Gold Height, and I was able to take passengers up for their first ride/lesson, though I never became a full instructor. I'm not current right now, but I might take it up again if I ever get enough free time.

I recommend you read Gliding by Derek Piggott. It might be a bit out of date now, and of course it covers gliding as carried out in Britain, but it is well written and has tons of useful information. I would recommend any of Piggott's books, but Gliding is the classic.
  12. Old Comment

Gliderport

Thanks! I am excited too! Hence all the lame blogging!
  13. Old Comment

Gliderport

I am so excited for you!!!!
  14. Old Comment

It's a bird! It's a plane!

How fun! I have always thought gliders were fascinating.
    I think I will put this activity on my bucket list. I want to hear all about your adventure, have fun!!!!
  15. Old Comment

It's a bird! It's a plane!

I think I'll stick with unpowered flight for awhile. :)
  16. Old Comment
  17. Old Comment

Contentment

What curses & Ari said.
  18. Old Comment

Contentment

I'm with Curses, as long as you don't get stuck in it forever, I'm sure in the future you will be wishing you were calm and content instead of being drafted as a fighter pilot to destroy giant alien spaceships that just leveled all the major cities.
    Updated 12-11-2007 at 05:55 AM by Ari (spell/grammar fix)
  19. Old Comment

Contentment

I think a little contentment from time to time is a nice thing. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Edit: that wasn't meant to sound doom and gloom, more of an observation that life never sits still for long.
  20. Old Comment

Contentment

Well, it should help that I am not content with my contentment. :chin: