Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs

Old

Time Missed / Limbo Land

Posted 05-31-2008 at 08:51 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

So, I have been unable to fly for more than a month due to annoying circumstances. So today I was back in the air for two flights and had a lot to relearn. :sadyup:

It seems I was better at landing and following the tow plane the first time I tried. Now I am struggling and swerving around and just generally not as good as the first time. But now my 5-pack of lessons has run out. The good news is that I don't have to pay the sign up fee yet. I can take my lessons until I am ready to...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

Flying Update / Decision Point

Posted 04-29-2008 at 08:38 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

I've flown three times since my first flight. (Four total) I figured it was time for an update.

I practiced my turning a lot, did a little bit of following the tow plane while it was pretty straight, I half landed the last time (I didn't control the dive brake).

Out of all of that the towing was the most difficult. The glider slipped and slid around so much trying to keep it lined up and in the right position was very difficult.

I am learning a lot and...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

First Flight, part 2

Posted 04-15-2008 at 06:54 PM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

The take off is a bumpy ride down the grass runway. But it is very short. Before I know it the glider is rising. (But my stomach stays on the ground.) It lifts above the ground before the tow plane and the glider pilot has to keep down so as not to lift the planes tail and send it into the ground.

Once the tow plane starts to lift the glider things feel more solid. It is a nice time for me to look around and enjoy the experience, but for my instructor it is the most challenging part...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

First Flight, part 1

Posted 04-15-2008 at 02:36 AM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)
Updated 04-15-2008 at 08:29 PM by Crumb

My first flight was this Saturday. A beautiful calm day that topped out around 80 degrees. I arrived around 11, but my instructor was still busy with another student. They took to the air soon after I arrived. There was a consistent line of gliders in the staging area and the tow plane was kept busy all day.

The staging area is the end of the runway where three gliders can line up to wait for the tow plane. You use a golf cart to pull your glider over and then when a glider takes...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying
Old

Last Weekend and Next Weekend

Posted 04-02-2008 at 12:40 AM by Crumb (Cream of The Crap)

So I suppose I should follow up my last blog with what occurred last Saturday. It was wet and cold most of the time, but the weather was changing every few minutes. There were 20+ members there and my main contact George said there were about 80-100 in the club each year. (There are annual dues.)

All in all we put together about a dozen gliders. Some belong to the club and some were owned by some members. I learned quite a bit about gliders and was satisfied with the quality control...
Adequately Crumbulent
Posted in Flying