Go Back   Freethought Forum > Blogs > SharonDee

Rate this Entry

I'm the asshole

Posted 11-17-2007 at 02:22 AM by SharonDee

So I'm the project leader for this big "outsource the royalties" deal. Learning that the new check stock needed to be supported for non-royalty payments as well, I went over to talk with the Finance gal about getting her the software and MICR printer she'd need. Typically, she started ranting about how IT supports all the other departments and only lets Finance know about things when they realize they need their input on stuff that will change.

Essentially, she was saying that we never consult her on anything until we're telling her what to do. She says she then has to scramble to deal with the things we surprise her with.

Uh-huh.

So while I'm standing at her desk, I ask her to look for an email I sent her two weeks ago. Sure enough, there was the email outlining the goals as I understood them for the quarter and my request (in bold font) for anyone to let me know if there were problems with the expectations as I had outlined them. The reply she sent to that email said nothing about a problem with any of the items I listed.

In the middle of her rant to me about how IT treats her so shabbily, I couldn't take it anymore.

"You know, Jan," I began. "It really bugs me when you accuse me of not keeping you in the loop when the email I sent you about our plans is sitting right there on your screen. I'm upset that you throw these fits about being left out when the evidence to the contrary is right there in front of you!"

She mumbled some reply about having an underling respond to my email because it would affect his timelines for the quarter. But I could tell I had gotten through to her and she was feeling a little angst at having ticked me off.

Later, I go to Boss Man to let him know what went down. He said, "Well, you know, she is having a rough go of things lately. Her father is sick and may be dying. I know she has a bad habit of falsely complaining about being out of the loop, but in this case it's understandable."

So then I felt about two inches tall. Usually, I let Jan's temper tantrums stand without defending myself. But one of the few times I decide to grow a backbone when dealing with her, I'm the asshole.

Figures.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 17157 Comments 3 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Laugh about it.
  2. Old Comment
    I'd say you were entitled. If her outburst can be understood, then so can your response.
  3. Old Comment
    Don't beat yourself up about it, Sharon. I doesn't sound as if you were an asshole about it after all. You were just stating the facts and from what you say, she's a complainer no matter if her life is going well or not. Really, don't sweat it. :hug: