Freethought Forum Freethought Forum

Freethought Forum (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   News, Politics & Law (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Legitimate Use of Flying Drones (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28358)

Dingfod 06-21-2014 05:53 PM

Legitimate Use of Flying Drones

Aside from home delivery of products such as those from Amazon.com, Domino's pizza, and some burrito emporiums, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) have legitimate business use beyond spying on company employees and competitors. Businesses or non-military/police entities that could benefit from the use of these range from agriculture to civil engineering, from journalism to emergency response agencies, such as fire-fighters, or to quickly transport transplant organs.

My employer, an energy company, recently announced it is researching using UAV drones for a variety of business purposes, to inspect pipelines routes, offshore platforms, and flare stacks, in order to reduce expensive and risky manned airplane and helicopter use, to make the operations safer and reduce environmental impact.

What else could drones be used for that would benefit people?

I mean besides an anti-drone drone?

curses 06-21-2014 05:56 PM

Re: Legitimate Use of Flying Drones

Fire suppression, possibly?

lisarea 06-21-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingfod (Post 1191892)
to quickly transport transplant organs.

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand and appreciate that this is an awesome and literally lifesaving application.

But still OMGHAHAHAHAHAHA drones flying guts all around the place!

Dingfod 06-21-2014 06:46 PM

More non-military/police uses: weather forecasting, storm damage assessment, finding victims of a disaster, delivering pizza and beerbooks to disaster survivors (a steak, maybe?, I mean, if they can fly guts around...).

chunksmediocrites 06-21-2014 07:09 PM

Science has many uses for UAVs; different types of sensors on a remote-control aircraft can be used to survey large areas and determine invasive species counts, water tables, erosion and infestation damage, temperature changes, etc. There was a radio news piece about a company that had been using UAVs to spot and track crop-damaging wild boars in fields in Louisiana to coordinate with farmers on the ground attempting to kill them.

It is certainly an oversimplification to equate all drones bad, in the same way it is silly to equate all robots as bad or all technology as bad. But there are some, IMO legitimate questions around privacy issues and especially about the use of UAVs as weapon platforms outside of direct warfare.

I object to extrajudicial killings, assassinations, and covert warfare in general, and where that intersects with drones is my primary qualm.

ZEZOZE 06-22-2014 12:52 AM

TV news.

Dingfod 06-22-2014 01:33 PM

University of Southern Florida students in Tampa can check drones out of the USF library.

MonCapitan2002 06-22-2014 07:54 PM

I think they can be used in the broadcasting of professional sports. Additionally, referees / umpires can use them during instant replays when play calls or judgments are disputed.

I could also see them being used in film production as well. In particular, I could see them being used in situations where they want a particular shot that's either too dangerous or expensive to use with a manned camera. Additionally, they can be used for aerial shots in the place of a helicopter mounted camera.

Another use for drones is directly in sports. Hmm. I could even see them in use during paintball matches as obstacles players on both sides must avoid. If they get within a certain range, they be peppered with shots from the drones.

Dingfod 06-22-2014 08:05 PM

Armed drones are not allowed.

ceptimus 06-22-2014 08:12 PM

Improving the safety of the hobby of flying model planes/helicopters/&c. by giving the aircraft the ability to automatically return to the launch site and land there in the event of radio failure or pilot error or incapacitation .

Dingfod 06-22-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEZOZE (Post 1191946)
TV news.

I was going to say that was covered under journalism, then I realized there are actually like only two or three actual journalists in television news these days.

MonCapitan2002 06-22-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingfod (Post 1192048)

Not even paintball guns. :sadcheer:

Dingfod 06-22-2014 10:09 PM

It would be fun though.

SR71 06-23-2014 01:57 AM

We could sling an orangutan under one and fly it over to lisarea and Matlock's house, 'cause like, just in case they need one.

lisarea 06-23-2014 03:24 AM

After the organ delivery, that is my next favorite use.

godfry n. glad 06-23-2014 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisarea (Post 1191899)
Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand and appreciate that this is an awesome and literally lifesaving application.

As long as they don't do the harvesting, too. That would give the term 'surgical strike' a new, and more accurate, meaning.

godfry n. glad 06-23-2014 03:45 AM

I was impressed with the guy who attached a video camera to a four prop aerial platform and did a video of the lip of Niagra Falls. Awesome.

I perceive a means of relatively non-invasive wildlife management....mostly tracking. Same with livestock maintenance. Basically, such tools should replace piloted craft where the tasks are high risk or exceedingly tedious.

JoeP 06-23-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisarea (Post 1191899)
Quote:

A cyborg. Just not the cyborgs that sf imagined.

JoeP 06-23-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingfod (Post 1192048)

Except for self-defence of course.

If armed drones are outlawed, only outlaw drones will be armed.

Drone Wars!

Dingfod 06-24-2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curses (Post 1191893)
Fire suppression, possibly?

In addition to supression, drones could be perfect for wildfire tactical surveillance when also equipped with infrared cameras so they can detect hot spots or flare-ups.

Janet 06-24-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godfry n. glad (Post 1192112)
I was impressed with the guy who attached a video camera to a four prop aerial platform and did a video of the lip of Niagra Falls. Awesome.

I perceive a means of relatively non-invasive wildlife management....mostly tracking. Same with livestock maintenance. Basically, such tools should replace piloted craft where the tasks are high risk or exceedingly tedious.

Thomas Dolby used one of those on his short film. He may have even worked with that guy. I know he talked about finding an expert online and flying him out.

godfry n. glad 06-24-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 1192377)
Quote:

Originally Posted by godfry n. glad (Post 1192112)

Thomas Dolby used one of those on his short film. He may have even worked with that guy. I know he talked about finding an expert online and flying him out.

The video guy is Matt Quest and his Niagra video is here.

Crumb 06-24-2014 08:52 PM

Delivering packages is apparently not a legitimate use: FAA Bans The Use Of Drones To Deliver Packages | TechCrunch

One for Sorrow 06-24-2014 10:27 PM

In this age of "ag-gag" laws, this seems a legitimate use of the technology to expose some of the abuses and pollution.

Janet 06-24-2014 11:28 PM

There is no credit for anyone but Dolby on the IMDB page for The Invisible Lighthouse so I can't verify the name. I saw the tour he did with live foley work and he talked about finding people on-line and getting help especially for one long aerial shot. Pity I can't recall the name for certain.