Freethought Forum Freethought Forum

Freethought Forum (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Computers & Technology (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Bend Over, Facebook is Back (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22881)

viscousmemories 04-23-2010 04:19 AM

Bend Over, Facebook is Back

I was using Pandora today and my Facebook profile picture appeared in a bar at the top, asking if I wanted to go ahead and hook up or something. Then I saw this status update from my sister:

Quote:

As of today, there is a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." If you do not want this, go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites and uncheck "Allow".
God I hate that site. I really wish I could keep up with my family some other way.

Dingfod 04-23-2010 05:03 AM

Re: Bend Over, Facebook is Back

Yahoo!Groups? That's how the Dingfod's do it.

Ari 04-23-2010 05:16 AM

Another reminder to watch what you put on facebook not so much because big brother is watching but because facebook has sticky fingers and thinks all of your stuff is theirs.

fragment 04-23-2010 05:23 AM

Hmm, it was already unchecked when I went there. What's up, facebook? Not quite completely evil? It's like you're not even trying any more. :sadcheer:

Qingdai 04-23-2010 06:34 AM

Mine was checked.
:glare:

Doctor X 04-23-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscousmemories (Post 834998)
God I hate that site. I really wish I could keep up with my family some other way.

http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.c...0telephone.jpg

http://ilgranderoe.files.wordpress.c...iters-desk.jpg

http://www.buttdynoracing.com/wp/wp-..._pigeon_01.jpg

--J.D.

Sorrel 04-23-2010 09:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Passing on the info via my status now!

Ymir's blood 04-23-2010 11:39 AM

Unchecked, thanks.

Clutch Munny 04-23-2010 12:37 PM

I killed my Facebook site last month.

Leesifer 04-23-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragment (Post 835018)
Hmm, it was already unchecked when I went there. What's up, facebook? Not quite completely evil? It's like you're not even trying any more. :sadcheer:

Mine too!

Ymir's blood 04-23-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leesifer (Post 835097)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fragment (Post 835018)

Mine too!

Facebook is trying to distance itself from some people.

viscousmemories 04-23-2010 03:04 PM

So far from this thread it looks like it was checked for US Citizens and unchecked for other countries. I wonder if that's because other countries are less forgiving of companies that trample privacy.

Ymir's blood 04-23-2010 03:05 PM

Any word on whether it was checked for Barrack Obama?

Ensign Steve 04-23-2010 03:07 PM

I saw this on woot, and I still don't understand what it is. I already have a woot login, so when it asked if I wanted to log into woot using my facebook account, I said no. I didn't see a checkbox there or on facebook, so I have no idea what I should be looking for. :shrug: I feel like a grandma.

Ymir's blood 04-23-2010 03:11 PM

"Account" drop down menu at top of the page > "Privacy Settings" > "Applications and Websites" > last entry is for "Instant Personalization" >hit the "edit settings" button

slimshady2357 04-23-2010 03:37 PM

In the UK here and it was checked for me.

Adam 04-23-2010 03:38 PM

Mine was checked. There was a banner about it yesterday that I clicked though though, so I'm not sure if I opted in at that point or not. I didn't read it all that carefully, because FB doesn't have any info I care about keeping private.

Their partner integration is wonky, though. I hit Yelp, because that was the sample site they showed on the settings page, and it found all kinds of reviews my FB friends had posted, until I logged in. Now it claims I don't have any friends, except the few I already had in Yelp. So, uh, the integration works, but only when I'm not logged into their partner sites? Thanks, Facebook!

Ensign Steve 04-23-2010 03:42 PM

Mine was also checked, and when I unchecked it, it warned me that I would be losing out on some awesome internet experiences and that my friends would probably just share my information anyway so why bother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 835152)
Mine was checked. There was a banner about it yesterday that I clicked though though, so I'm not sure if I opted in at that point or not. I didn't read it all that carefully, because FB doesn't have any info I care about keeping private.

I saw the banner yesterday, and I clicked on the "learn more" link, but it never took me to where I could opt out or in. I had to drill down like 5 or 6 pages, which I wouldn't have bothered to poke through if I hadn't gotten the direct path from Ymir's blood.

I guess the woot thing I saw was for something else, since they're not listed as a partner. I've seen "log in using your facebook account" on other sites before this new Instant thingie they have now, so it was probably that.

I might have left it checked, but I don't use any of those partner sites anyway, so there's no point.

Oh, also, you guys keep in mind that all the third-party stuff works with your facebook cookie, so if you log out of facebook every time, the rest of it is moot.

Adam 04-23-2010 03:48 PM

Oh, I didn't check to see how it worked. In that case, it would also be moot if you just disabled third party cookies in your browser.

Ensign Steve 04-23-2010 03:50 PM

You think? I figured that setting just prevented third-party sites from putting a cookie on your computer, not from reading one that's already there. Actually, I have no idea one way or the other, I never thought about it that way. :chin:

Adam 04-23-2010 03:56 PM

I think that's how it works. I could be wrong. I'm basing this on my vague memory of when I had to coordinate integration between one of our portal sites and our single sign on solution a couple years ago. Our site would look for the SSO site's cookie, and it would not work if third party cookies was were disallowed on the browser.

Miisa 04-23-2010 04:59 PM

Mine was unchecked.

Deadlokd 04-23-2010 10:33 PM

Unchecked.

viscousmemories 04-24-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ensign Steve (Post 835155)
Mine was also checked, and when I unchecked it, it warned me that I would be losing out on some awesome internet experiences and that my friends would probably just share my information anyway so why bother.

Thanks for that. After reading this I dug through their FAQ and found that the only way to prevent your friends from sharing your info with these apps is to block each individual app that Fb is a "partner" with. Right now that's apparently just Microsoft Docs, Pandora and Yelp! but I assume they'll add more (and consequently make the users check the list regularly and manually block the apps to prevent their friends from sharing their information).

This shit should seriously be illegal.

Doctor X 04-24-2010 11:58 AM

Yet another reason I refuse to be involved with that crap.

--J.D.