Freethought Forum Freethought Forum

Freethought Forum (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Arts & Literature (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BREAKING: Sometimes Famous People Die (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28149)

Adam 02-24-2014 06:58 PM

BREAKING: Sometimes Famous People Die

BBC News - Ghostbusters star Harold Ramis dies aged 69

Quote:

Actor and director Harold Ramis, best known for the films Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, has died aged 69.
69? Jesus H Fuck, that's way too soon.

Anyway, given that I hate starting new thrads for one-off news items (unless I can use them to win thrad naming contests with witty quips about my PKE metergetting a reading), this is your omnibus thrad for celebrity deaths.

lisarea 02-24-2014 08:20 PM

Re: BREAKING: Sometimes Famous People Die

Gonzo 02-24-2014 08:36 PM

INSENSITIVE.

lisarea 02-24-2014 09:13 PM

True.

But when I die, I think it'd be pretty great it if people dredged up old instances of me making fun of dead people and told me to stop hitting myself.

Ari 02-24-2014 11:29 PM

Memorial outside Ghostbusters fire house, according to Ghostbuster's twitter,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhRZNaqCUAAG4P6.jpg

Stormlight 02-26-2014 09:44 AM

BBC News - Spanish Flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia dies at 66

Quote:

World-renowned Spanish guitarist Paco de Lucia has died aged 66 in Mexico, reportedly of a heart attack while playing with his children on a beach.
:(

vremya 02-26-2014 02:32 PM

:sadcheer:

He was an amazing guitarist. RIP

lisarea 03-24-2014 04:37 PM

Gwar Singer Dave Brockie, a.k.a. Oderus Urungus, Dead at 50 | Music News | Rolling Stone

BrotherMan 03-24-2014 08:54 PM

James Rebhorn passes at 65

He's always been one of those "Oh, That guy!" actors. I enjoyed (loved his performance even if I hated the character) many of the things he was in. I don't know anything else about him.

And as far as anyone from Gwar is concerned: I would have thought that if anyone had made a for real compact with the Devil, it would have been the members of Gwar. I don't know anything about any of them and I only know about them because of a guy I used to work with.

SharonDee 03-25-2014 12:53 PM

My first memories of the Rebhorn guy was on a soap opera back when I was a kid. He played the bad guy and he was very good at it. And I always thought of him as that character whenever I saw him elsewhere on TV or in movies.

In fact, he was on the same soap as the love interest in Independence Day. Wish I could remember which soap.

livius drusus 03-25-2014 01:39 PM

IMDB says he was on Search for Tomorrow and Guiding Light in the 80s.

SharonDee 03-25-2014 07:43 PM

Yeah, those were the ones I watched back in the day. That narrows it down. :yup:

I wanna say it was Search for Tomorrow but I'd like to look 'er up.

The Man 04-06-2014 08:20 AM

Naturalist author Peter Matthiessen dies at 86 | The Raw Story

I've been meaning to read Shadow Country and The Snow Leopard for a rather long time. R.I.P. :sadcheer:

BrotherMan 04-07-2014 07:11 AM

There's no such thing as a bad boy.

Mickey Rooney passes at age 93.

Quote:

Mickey Rooney died on Sunday, according to multiple media reports.

He was 93. He is survived by his eighth wife Jan and nine children.

Rooney most recently appeared in “The Muppets” in 2011 and “Night At The Museum” in 2006. He was married 8 times.

Rooney was one of the most famous child actors in history. He played the role of Andy hardy in 20 films.

Rooney was also the first teenager to ever be nominated for an Oscar when he was honored in 1940 for his role in ”Strike Up the Band.”

Mickey Rooney was born Joe Yule Jr. on September 23, 1920 in Brooklyn, New York. He first took the stage as a toddler in his parents’ vaudeville act at 17 months old, according to his official website.

He made his first film appearance in 1926. The following year, he played the lead character in the first Mickey McGuire short film. It was in this popular film series that he took the stage name Mickey Rooney.

Rooney has received multiple awards, including a Juvenile Academy Award, an Honorary Academy Award, two Golden Globes and an Emmy Award.

slimshady2357 04-07-2014 01:20 PM

Not making the headlines because of Rooney, but John Pinette also died today.

BBC News - US comedian John Pinette found dead in Pittsburgh hotel

He was a very large man, but this line is still shocking to me:

Quote:

Aged 50, he died of natural causes

Ensign Steve 04-07-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slimshady2357 (Post 1182391)
Not making the headlines because of Rooney, but John Pinette also died today.

I found out about both at the exact same time, because of the social media.

Ymir's blood 04-07-2014 03:40 PM

This may be of interest to a few here:

D&D Artist David Trampier: 1954-2014 :: Games :: News :: Paste

One of the original D&D artists, for those who don't know.

slimshady2357 04-07-2014 06:44 PM

BBC News - Peaches Geldof dies aged 25

The Man 04-21-2014 01:26 PM

Boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, age 76. Infamously, Carter was imprisoned for a murder for which he was not guilty for nearly twenty years, even after several key witnesses recanted. The injustice was the subject of a song by Bob Dylan (unfortunately, I can't find the studio version on YouTube).

viscousmemories 04-21-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Infamously, Carter was imprisoned for a murder for which he was not guilty for nearly twenty years, even after several key witnesses recanted.
Damn, they nabbed him 20 years before he was guilty? That's some Minority Report shit right there.

Because grammar jokes never get old.

The Man 04-30-2014 09:13 PM

Actor Bob Hoskins, 71, star of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and other films. I honestly had no idea he was British.

SharonDee 04-30-2014 11:45 PM

He'll always be Eddie Valiant to me, even though I've seen him in many roles since then.

Nullifidian 05-01-2014 12:44 AM

I just got a CD in the mail with Hoskins on it the other day. He narrated the bit part of "The Beggar" on the Hyperion label's recording of The Beggar's Opera by John Gay and Johann Christoph Pepusch.

mickthinks 05-01-2014 01:34 AM

:sadcheer:

Hoskins got his first big break when he was brilliantly cast by the BBC as the illiterate van driver in a show constructed to support and encourage people with reading difficulties to sign up in a nationwide adult literacy drive. The programmes looked a bit like Sesame Street with their low-budget speak-and-spell graphics, but their main focus was to raise the profile of the scheme and its locally offered education services. So Hoskins's ability to portray a strong character admitting to weakness in a way that was recognisably human and admirable, was crucial for helping illiterate adults to identify with him and feel that it would be okay to admit they needed help reading.

I've found one complete episode online here ...

Hoskins's character appears in the title sequences, and in two brief slots, at 2:27 and at 4:15

Not one the best episodes, but it gives you an idea of how Hoskins was able to make a name for himself so quickly from such an unpromising and inauspicious start.

The Man 05-13-2014 09:18 AM

Oscar winner: “Alien” creator H.R. Giger is dead - swissinfo.ch

R.I.P. :sadcheer: