Freethought Forum Freethought Forum

Freethought Forum (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Atrium (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CWP13 - The Geological Era Poll (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29501)

Crumb 08-17-2016 11:19 PM

CWP13 - The Geological Era Poll

You might want to pick one with oxygen. :yup:

Ari 08-18-2016 12:01 AM

Re: CWP13 - The Geological Era Poll

Which was the one where Jesus road a mechanical T-rex into battle against Xenu's forces?
I want that one, but only after the t-rex micro-evolved laser eyes.

Kyuss Apollo 08-18-2016 12:11 AM

That was in the Conflict of Mechanical Advantage Six.

The Lone Ranger 08-18-2016 12:55 AM

Well, I'm torn. The Jurassic had some really neat dinosaurs, like the big sauropods, and some really neat pterosaurs, like the rhamphorhynchosaurs. On the other hand, the Cretaceous had tyrannosaurs and Quetzalcoatlus and Mosasaurus, not to mention tree ferns and early angiosperms.

So, on the whole, I guess I'll have to go with the Cretaceous.

Angakuk 08-18-2016 03:10 AM

I have a preference for the Cenozoic era, Quaternary period, Holocene epoch, thank you very much.

Kael 08-18-2016 03:17 AM

I'd go to the Jurassic, and then complain loudly about how it doesn't match the movie.

Ari 08-18-2016 04:16 AM

I chose Triassic for the triceretops. Wait no Tricycles? Damnit!
Ok actually (because this is important) for the proto dinosaurs and mammals that arent big enough to eat me yet.

BrotherMan 08-18-2016 05:35 AM

:unpoland:

Kyuss Apollo 08-18-2016 06:35 AM

I was torn between herds of Diplodocus & Brachiosaurus in the Jurassic and the all the trilobites and fauna in the Cambrian explosion.

I was also tempted by the ceratopsians and plesiosaurs in the Cretaceous, but the Jurassic has Stegosaurus. In the end it was really a coin flip between Jurassic and Cambrian, though Cambrian carnivores would far less threatening than Allosaurus. Also,

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._scale_Cor.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...arison.svg.png

fragment 08-18-2016 07:23 AM

TLR makes a good case for the Cretaceous. Plus it also comes with extra Gondwana break-up! But I'm going to have to go Devonian for the weird forests of early land plant groups, and early tetrapods.

ceptimus 08-18-2016 09:42 AM

Carboniferous would be fun because of the (probably) extra oxygen in the atmosphere compared to present: that would make athletic things like swimming or mountain climbing easier, although there wouldn't be any roads or cycle tracks.

The wiki article I looked at suggests that some scientists now think there was less excess oxygen than was previously believed - which makes sense because I never understood why there weren't constant huge forest fires if the oxygen levels were as high as they used to say.

Ymir's blood 08-18-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

I never understood why there weren't constant huge forest fires if the oxygen levels were as high as they used to say.
Amphibians don't smoke.

S.Vashti 08-18-2016 02:35 PM

Jurassic is my vote-birds and pterodactyls, big and small dinos, and mammals, but none big enough to eat me. I could break and ride a megalodon, fish for all those different types of aquatic reptiles, and in general, it's a damn fine period to live in.

The Lone Ranger 08-18-2016 03:37 PM

In fairness, the Jurassic did have various species of Allosaurus, among other relatively large theropods.

Dingfod 08-18-2016 04:46 PM

Which one did Alley Oop live in?

https://www.clubdesmonstres.com/best/img/alleyoopt.jpg

Angakuk 08-18-2016 06:41 PM

I believe that was the Creationist era. The Flintstones were his neighbors, geologically speaking.

Pan Narrans 08-19-2016 10:29 AM

MonCapitan2002 08-21-2016 03:24 PM

My choice, would sadly be a bullet to the head. I am addicted to civilization and would be completely helpless in a wilderness environment. As such, all of these time periods would be a death sentence for me. As such, I'd rather get the execution out of the way early instead of prolonging it.

If I did have the skills to live in a wilderness environment. I would totally choose the Cretaceous. I'd love to observe the non-avian dinosaurs when they were still alive. If I could bring some video equipment, I would totally record as much footage as possible while the power lasts.

lisarea 08-21-2016 05:13 PM

I was thinking along those lines, too, and considering picking one where you'd die almost instantly rather than dragging it out. That way, you get to see something crazy last thing.

In fact, that's the main thing I couldn't decide. Do I choose one that's compatible with life, dick around for a while, see more stuff, and probably die slowly; or do I get it over with?

Angakuk 08-23-2016 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisarea (Post 1269686)
Do I choose one that's compatible with life, dick around for a while, see more stuff, and probably die slowly; or do I get it over with?

When you get right down to it isn't that pretty much the kind of choice that we all face every day?

JoeP 08-23-2016 07:36 PM

I was a little busy over the past few days (:penguinglomp:) but the main reason I was unable to vote is the flagrant anti-mammal anti-bird bias of the options available. Geological eras didn't end 65 million years ago, you know. I want to pick something with Irish elks or megatheriums (megatheria?) (5mya-recent) or sabre-toothed tigers (4mya-recent) or even giant penguins (37mya-27mya).

fragment 08-23-2016 11:02 PM

Cretaceous had mammals and birds.

(Also, none of the poll options are geological eras, there are 3 eons and the rest are periods, so lets not get too fussy about poll options).

Go Devonian! I'd like to remind MonCap that the Devonian likely had few large terrestrial predators.

MonCapitan2002 08-25-2016 01:24 AM

My issue isn't large predators wanting to eat my delicious flesh. No, the issue is that I have no skills to survive in the wilderness. I have spent my entire life in urban environments. If I developed the necessary skill set to be able to successfully thrive in an urban environment, I would have to choose the time of the dinosaurs. They are awesome and if given the opportunity to see them with my own eye; I would jump on it in an instant.

Watser? 08-25-2016 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumb (Post 1269314)
You might want to pick one with oxygen. :yup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonCapitan2002 (Post 1269683)
My choice, would sadly be a bullet to the head. I am addicted to civilization and would be completely helpless in a wilderness environment. As such, all of these time periods would be a death sentence for me. As such, I'd rather get the execution out of the way early instead of prolonging it.

If I did have the skills to live in a wilderness environment. I would totally choose the Cretaceous. I'd love to observe the non-avian dinosaurs when they were still alive. If I could bring some video equipment, I would totally record as much footage as possible while the power lasts.

Quote:

I was thinking along those lines, too, and considering picking one where you'd die almost instantly rather than dragging it out. That way, you get to see something crazy last thing.

In fact, that's the main thing I couldn't decide. Do I choose one that's compatible with life, dick around for a while, see more stuff, and probably die slowly; or do I get it over with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angakuk (Post 1269832)
Quote:

Do I choose one that's compatible with life, dick around for a while, see more stuff, and probably die slowly; or do I get it over with?

When you get right down to it isn't that pretty much the kind of choice that we all face every day?

This is the kind of insight that I visit :ff: for.

:ffshiny:

Qingdai 08-25-2016 04:41 AM

Crap. I totally missed this.