Freethought Forum Freethought Forum

Freethought Forum (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Arts & Literature (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Is this Star Wars nerd-rage worthy? (https://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27024)

LadyShea 10-31-2012 01:09 AM

Is this Star Wars nerd-rage worthy?

All the SW nerds I know are under 10, so I have no idea if this is something people will be upset about or anything

DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD. | The Walt Disney Company

livius drusus 10-31-2012 01:11 AM

Re: Is this Star Wars nerd-rage worthy?

Four billion seems like a low price to me. I wonder if Lucas retains personal ownership of certain plums outside of Lucasfilm.

LadyShea 10-31-2012 01:25 AM

I am willing to bet he retains or gains a bunch of shit. When Disney bought Pixar, Lasseter got to be Chief Creative dude for the animation and park divisions, I think, and Pixar got to remain a separate entity.

Also, When they bought Marvel, they honored the existing licensing agreements IIRC (so rival Universal Orlando park gets to keep them).

BrotherMan 10-31-2012 01:31 AM

A key paragraph, I think:

Quote:

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.
Most importantly to fans is the part about an Episode 7 in 2015 with nods to continuing series in various media. The responses I'm reading are optimistic, noting (as the article does) that Disney's acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel haven't sent the universe spinning off into the void. But they are thus far being cautious in their enthusiasm. Most folks seem gleeful that the Old Man has passed the torch.

LadyShea 10-31-2012 01:49 AM

Thank you for that informative report from the fandom trenches, Bort!

Pyrrho 10-31-2012 01:52 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o.../s400/solo.gif

erimir 10-31-2012 02:00 AM

I think probably most people think two things:

1. The legacy of the original trilogy probably can't be tainted any more than what Lucas already did with the prequels and the original trilogy "special editions." Even if they're worse, it's not like it's not already sold out to hell.

2. George Lucas seemingly won't be directing them and maybe won't even be writing them, so it's unlikely that they'll suck as hard as the prequels*. There's even a chance they could be good! The best two films (imo) are The Empire Strikes Back, which was not directed or written by Lucas, and the first one, which was written and directed by Lucas, but when he was forced to work with a relatively small budget.

Apparently his problem is when you give him money he starts sucking.

So basically... can't make things worse, possibility of it actually making something worthwhile.

*for all the shit people talk about the prequels, I will say that most of the action sequences are pretty good so I will admit to enjoying them on that level, even if the dialogue is horrible and the story is mostly stupid.

Waluigi 10-31-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erimir (Post 1092928)
Apparently his problem is when you give him money he starts sucking.

So he's a gay prostitute?

Ari 10-31-2012 02:14 AM

If Lucas gets less creative control, then this is only a good thing.
With the way Hollywood can't stop making remakes, I expect (with Lucas away from the helm) they will eventually remake Ep1-3. Maybe not soon, but one day...

Ymir's blood 10-31-2012 02:22 AM

So is Leia going to be added to princess canon now?

LadyShea 10-31-2012 02:24 AM

The SW franchise is a known money maker wrt merchandising, and the tech side of the company is pretty goddamned awesome. From a business standpoint it is a good buy for those.

They also get Indiana Jones, which has some life left. Kiddo loves him and there's still plenty of Indy merchandise and stuff out there. Disney could bump that back up too, special edition videos and theater re-releases or some shit.

BrotherMan 10-31-2012 02:53 AM

I haven't seen anyone say it yet, so I'm going to be that guy.

Howard. The. Duck. Remake.

LadyShea 10-31-2012 04:00 AM

Disney buys Star Wars, Indiana Jones from Lucasfilm as George backs away (VIDEO) | GlobalPost

Ensign Steve 10-31-2012 04:14 AM

Honestly, with all the Star Wars stuff they have at Disneyland, I thought this already happened.

Stormlight 10-31-2012 08:39 AM

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Gonzo 10-31-2012 12:38 PM

It's certainly ridicule worthy. :3

Deadlokd 10-31-2012 01:08 PM

As long as they bring Sulu back it will be fine.

Qingdai 10-31-2012 05:24 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out which sucks more, Disney or Lucas. They both can't write a woman character that can't fight her way out of a wet paper bag. So on with the horrible portrayals of women! It's like a match made in hell.

Kashmir 10-31-2012 06:39 PM

Leia Organa is no Ellen Ripley, but I don't know what Star Wars movies you've been watching. Leia is one tough cookie.

Jerome 10-31-2012 07:07 PM

Soon we will have a single corporation which disseminates all culture.

Jerome 10-31-2012 07:11 PM

Under original copyright law Star Wars would have been public domain in 2005.

Ari 10-31-2012 07:13 PM

Clearly you don't understand copyright law.

Jerome 10-31-2012 07:18 PM

Clearly you prefer a society in which a few corporations have the ultimate power to control the culture of a nation.

Ari 10-31-2012 07:28 PM

Of course! That's the only answer.
(Copyrights can be renewed).

Qingdai 10-31-2012 07:36 PM

:sarclap: