View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 PM
California Sober

Reading I need transgender education and it's all your fault!

Sure, I could wait until my GLBT studies class starts in the fall and show up ready to learn instead of being a know-it-all who's just there for the easy A from day one, but where's the fun in that?

Someone (I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it was lisarea) linked to Geek Feminism Wiki and I've been on an archive binge for going on 48 hours. :gah: TVTropes got nothing on that site. A couple of times I have come across the expression "conditional cissexual privilege" and I don't know what it means. I looked up cissexual on wikipedia and learned:
Quote:
Cissexual is an adjective used in the context of gender issues to describe "people who are not transsexual and who have only ever experienced their mental and physical sexes as being aligned".[1] Nikki Sullivan and Samantha Murray characterized the term as "a way of drawing attention to the unmarked norm, against which trans* is identified, in which a person feels that their gender identity matches their body/sex".
For not the first time in my life, I felt that grunch (a different grunch from the geek feminism grunch) of becoming aware of a privilege I never realized I had. That's usually the way it works, innit?

What's my point? Oh yeah, I had a question, probably because I got there from the link on the Restrooms page. Suppose you have a woman who identifies as a woman and who was born all XX and with female organs and all that (what do you call that? Is that what cissexual means?) and she's a lesbian. She's not a crossdresser, but she wears her hair short and she wears pants and button-down shirts and no makeup, and she is often told "wrong room" when she walks into the ladies room. I don't mean they were like "stay out, dyke" I mean they honestly thought she was a man and were even contrite once she was like "uh, no, it's not" back at them. Is there a different word for that? Does she also enjoy conditional cissexual privilege?

:themoreyouknow:

Last edited by Ensign Steve; 06-03-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: thanks, mick
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (06-03-2011), irukandji (06-03-2011), LadyShea (06-03-2011), lisarea (06-03-2011), livius drusus (06-03-2011), The Man (06-04-2011)

Page generated in 0.35626 seconds with 10 queries