View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Coffee, tea, anti-Nazi

Default Re: Getting good ideas from irredeemable assholes, or should I try meditation?

I do meditate, but then I am (sorta) Buddhist. Meditation doesn't have to be attached to any sort of spiritual woo. That being said the best resources I have found have been Western Buddhist teachers.

Sit down on the floor with something supporting your butt so that it's slightly higher than your crossed legs. Uncomfortable? It will get better, but it will also keep you from falling asleep. Tilt your head slightly down and sit up straight. Place your hands in your lap and close your eyes. Give yourself a few minutes for your mind to slow down a bit. I do a counting meditation for about 10-15 mins (that's as long as I can sit) I count up to ten, then back down. If a stray thought interrupts, I acknowledge it, let it go, and start from one again. I have a timer on my phone that lets me know when I'm done.

The thing about trying to teach someone about meditation seems to be that some of the ideas are hard to get across, especially in a written form. Acknowledging a though? What I meant by that is that I realize that my mind has wandered, stop thinking the thought, and go back to being quiet.

It will take some time till you can keep your brain from mutiny and it will not be instant results but it has been worth it for me. I'm trying to find links, the one I used to use is no longer online.
ceptimus (07-12-2013), chunksmediocrites (07-13-2013), Clutch Munny (07-15-2013), Crumb (07-12-2013), livius drusus (07-12-2013), S.Vashti (07-13-2013), specious_reasons (07-12-2013), The Man (02-03-2017), Watser? (07-12-2013)

Page generated in 0.20878 seconds with 11 queries