View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Seen any crappy movies?

I've probably told this story before, but when I was a little kid, I was well aware of when I was being sheltered from adult stuff, and would kind of obsess over trying to figure stuff out. To this end, someone gave me one of those old-timey scrapbooks, so for some time, I'd cut out comic strips that had jokes I didn't understand in them, on the assumption that they were all dirty or scandalous in some way, so that eventually I could go back and understand them.

Needless to say, this was the comic pages, and the reason I didn't get the jokes wasn't the jokes required some special adult knowledge, but because they just weren't funny. So I had a scrapbook filled with all the worst newspaper comics of my childhood.

On what I now understand was probably a similar theme, I remember when the movie Goodbye Girl came out, and it was kind of a big deal with TV commercials and ads and stuff, and I remember my mom kind of making Marge Simpson noises when she saw them. So naturally, I assumed it was super-dark and gritty or something.

So last night, when it showed up on Filmstruck as part of one of their cinematographer series, I was like, "A-HA! At last!"

So I watched it.

The cinematography was good, in that seventies kind of way, which I like. The movie, though, was just a fairly standard romcom from what I could tell, all kind of ridiculous and implausible, demanding a whole lot more suspension of disbelief than I personally think it really merits, but I guess if that's your thing, that's OK, but it's not mine. Like, the kid in the movie is a 'precocious' ten year old, acting like a wisecracking middle aged waitress most of the time, but then, to remind the audience that she's a child, she sometimes does things that three year olds do, like gets food all over her face when she eats. Almost like the Godzilla or Jehovah thing, where aspects of the character are kind of malleable and adjust to what the story is trying to convey at that particular moment.

But my favorite thing is the big happy ending, where the lady finally learns to trust fucking Richard Dreyfuss of all people (he has always creeped me out), and then that guy I always get confused with Hutch from Starsky and Hutch sings a song where the lyrics explain the moral to the lady explicitly. That's a pretty 70s thing, too, I think. Like, where you have songs that address, in identifiable detail, what's happening in the movie, even when they're not musicals. A non-diegetic soundtrack, where an invisible narrator sings about the plot, in case you missed it or something.

Anyways, the moral of the story? The stuff Hutch is singing about?

Object permanence, when you get right down to it.
Thanks, from:
Corona688 (09-17-2020), Crumb (03-30-2018), Ensign Steve (04-13-2018), JoeP (03-30-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (03-30-2018), Sock Puppet (03-30-2018), specious_reasons (03-30-2018)

Page generated in 0.11336 seconds with 11 queries