View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Captain #EmbraceTheImpossible

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by curses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumb View Post
I've been playing 5th edition every other week for awhile, though we have only had one session since the new year.

Just started reading the core rule book for Starfinder, which is a science fantasy rpg based on Pathfinder. It looks really cool, but compared to 5e it is very complicated. I'm just trying to make a character here and I feel like I am doing my taxes. I still want to play though.
I was wondering about Starfinder. It's really popular at the game shop we play D&D at and it sounds like a lot of fun, but then I never played Pathfinder so I don't know how much I'd like it.

Plus I hate doing my taxes, so maybe I'll watch a game and see.
Pathfinder is a some what streamlined/clarified rule set that came from 3e/3.5e. Most of its' simplifications came in the combat system, especially combat maneuvers (trips, grapples, bull rush, etc.), as well as AoO and concentration. That being said the whole system is still rather complicated as you have a lot of different attack and defense values to calculate for all combatants. This can really slow down combat. It has not been an unusual occurrence in our games for rounds of combat to take 30+ minutes, especially since I am a huge fan of combat maneuvers. Trip is soft crowd control for classes lacking any CC and is very powerful.

Starfinder further simplifies things, but sounds like it is still a bit complicated compared to 5e. Once you get used to it though it should go pretty quick. There are no more multiple attacks per round (except in very specific circumstances). The combat maneuver system has seen further refinement and AoO are very limited now. This has the affect of making the most time consuming part of the game (combat) go much faster.
Crumb (02-06-2018), curses (02-07-2018)

Page generated in 0.07131 seconds with 11 queries