View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Reality Adventurer

Default Re: Would you go to Mars on a one-way ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Beardsley View Post
I would not. I know the Chinese culturally work hard in the sciences, but I don't understand why they feel this is possible. I have not researched it enough, but I remember the self-contained environment in Arizona failed, and that was on a lush, warm earth. I seem to remember the news reported there is water beneath the surface of mars. How accessible it is I don't know. But it is cold there,... very cold, even a martian summer. I don't know the exact temperatures, but intensity of sunlight dies off quickly, as the square of the distance from the source and mars is about one and a half times further from the sun than the earth. A sustainable ecology involves a lot, not just plants making oxygen, but nitrogen fixing bacteria, organic soil, and on... I don't plan on researching this, I think soon we will see a lot of analysis of this in the news by biologists, physicists, and so on.
Arg! Water is the least of the problems. It takes days or weeks to die of thirst. Only a few minutes to asphyxiate. The so called atmosphere of mars is what we would call outer space. And what little there is of it, if compressed would still not be breathable. There is half as much carbon monoxide as there is oxygen. There is ten times more argon in the atmosphere than oxygen!

Page generated in 0.14588 seconds with 11 queries