View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short

Default Re: Podcasts that are totally obscure and worth listening to

I really wanted to like Nightvale, but it's got too much 'acting' for my tastes. Like, I wanted them to play it straighter and subtler, without the wacky voices and action scenes. If you like Nightvale, I had similar annoyances with one called Limetown, so you might like that one too.

I tend to like the long form non-fiction podcasts in the Serial vein, mostly crime stuff. The CBC does some good ones, like Someone Knows Something, and the Atlanta Journal Constitution's Breakdown is good, too, except THERE IS A PART WHERE THEY DO A DUMB ACTING VOICE that says "Lesson in the Law!" when they're going to explain some legal concept.

And I just found out that Offshore has a second season. The first one was really good. The central story is a crime, but it's more about the social and cultural context it took place in.

S-Town was really really good too. Apparently, some people were disappointed that it didn't use the Serial formula, so FYI, it is not Serial. Also it's probably best without spoilers.

And I haven't listened to it yet, but the youths seem to be enjoying the Beef and Dairy Network Podcast these days, which, as I understand it, is a parody of industry podcasts.
Thanks, from:
chunksmediocrites (07-26-2018), Ensign Steve (04-12-2017)

Page generated in 0.32844 seconds with 11 queries