View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Bow down before me ... or not.

Default Re: Thread for the mysteriously newsworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF View Post
National paper of record reports that even college students are allowed to rent mid-range apartments in Columbia, Missouri

This is something that might actually be interesting if analyzed as a national (or even regional) phenomenon - for example, is the higher education bubble feeding an off-campus real estate bubble? Of course, it doesn't answer that question at all, since it focuses on like two or three buildings in Columbia, Missouri.

The other question that the article kind of tries to pose is kind of muddled and basically nonsense. This off-campus housing is not on-campus, so the academic result is ______. But off-campus housing is sort of not even close to being new, and the article introduces that narrative without ever really saying anything about it. The primary theme of this article seems to be that in Columbia, Missouri, the off-campus student housing isn't even that shitty. It's just like a normal apartment place where actual human beings might live, even though the tenants are students! (Also, this is the first time I have ever seen the NYT apply the term "luxury" to a $700/month apartment in Missouri; that term is usually reserved for restaurant meals that cost that much, or vacations that cost tens of thousands of dollars, that kind of thing.)

Wild, I know.
I wanted to go here and get a Masters degree to say I have a Masters from MIT.

The other MIT

But I've been to Springfield a couple of times. It's too close to Arkansas and chocked full of Branson HEE-HAW traffic.

Student accomodations include trailer park in the trash, normal, or upscale varieties.

Page generated in 0.30057 seconds with 11 queries