View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Astroid the Foine Loine between a Poirate and a Farrrmer

Default Re: A revolution in thought

Quote:
Your question involves understanding the discovery, and I cannot simplify it in order to answer your question adequately. All I can tell you is that when children grow up in a world such as the one described in the book, there is no way they could turn out to have these urges (and if they did they would never be able to act on them), which are often a result of some kind of trauma growing up.
That is tantamount to saying that to believe it will work, I must first believe it will work, and makes it sound like the woo-woo train has come to town. Also, you are saying that all desire to harm is environmental in origin. This is simply not the case, or at least I know of no reason to assume this is the case.

Quote:
As far as your second case, a true sociopath is obviously mentally ill and could not be let loose if he was so psychotic that his conscience was severed. But the majority of pertetrators could never repeat the same behavior under changed conditions because they could not justify what they were able to justify in the past.
Only if you decide that all intent to harm is either retaliation or caused by environment. Again, this is not the case, or at least not proven or supported in any way.

Quote:
Knowing the difference between right and wrong, they would never be able to hurt others, but it is difficult to imagine this when you have no idea how different the environment is going to be.
This is not the case. Sociopaths know exactly what the rest of the world feels are right or wrong, they just see no reason to adhere to those standards.

Quote:
The revolution hasn't happened because this knowledge is for the most part, unknown. This system (as you call it) would not alter someone's genetics, but it would prevent those genetics from being expressed. We all have certain predispositions (even when it comes to our health), but if the environment does not aggravate those genetic tendencies, they will never have a chance to cause havoc.
Again, you stress environment and relegate the genetic component to insignificance without the slightest bit of support for this theory. We are to take it on faith that this is so.

I still think there is a good reason the revolution never happened.
Thanks, from:
The Man (03-17-2011)

Page generated in 0.16589 seconds with 11 queries