View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Admin of THIEVES and SLUGABEDS

Default Your Trash, Their Treasure

Some of you might be aware that I have a less than positive relationship with a certain herb which shall remain nameless but whose initials are cilantro. I have similar less than positive relationships with a fair number of foodstuffs, really.

But -- and this part is key -- that doesn't mean I can't recognize that someone whose palate differs from mine might appreciate a good dish which is totally out of the question for me. So, based on a nice, healthy vive la difference premise, this thread is for recipes that you yourself would reject outright (most likely accompanied by a shower of invective), but that you can kinda see how it would be delicious for someone who doesn't share your hatreds.

This one stars not one but two of my Hell No foods. I would gladly eat shoe leather before I took a bite of this.

Spaghetti with Cilantro Pesto

2 bunches cilantro, leaves only
1/3 cup peanuts
1/4 cup sesame oil, divided
salt
1 lb spaghetti
2 Tblsp canola oil

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Roughly chop the cilantro leaves, add to the water and blanch for 30 seconds. Strain immediately and run under cold water until cool, about 1 minute.

Place the peanuts in a food processor and pulse for 25 seconds. Continue to pulse, adding 2 Tblsp of sesame oil in a slow, steady stream. Add the cilantro and puree for 45 seconds, slowly adding the remaining 2 Tblsp of sesame oil. Transfer to a bowl.

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt and the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 3 Tblsp of the cooking water. Add the pasta, the reserved water and the canola oil to the bowl with the pesto. Season with salt and toss well.

Y'all better appreciate my gustatory altruism. :shudder:

Page generated in 0.26969 seconds with 11 queries