View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 AM
God Made Me A Skeptic

Default Re: Autism, Asperger's, ASD, and maybe people who are just annoying.

I'm not a huge fan of this one, but:

Understanding Neurotypicality - Asperger's Syndrome - tribe.net

A common theme in autism literature is to refer to non-autistics as "neurotypicals". (I dislike this term because it is obviously not accurate; Beloved Spouse has extreme ADHD and gender dysphoria, and cannot be fairly or accurately described as "neurotypical", but is not in the least autistic.)

Reading a description of how the non-autism state might be described as a disorder, were mild autism the norm, can be very interesting. Excerpt:
People with neurotypicality tend to communicate in a very vague manner. They make guesses as to the level of knowledge of the listener, and omit parts that the listener is presumed to know. It is rather obvious that this guessing will often be wrong. Unfortunately, the listener that does not understand will generally not ask for clarification of such ambiguities, for fear of the speaker thinking that he is stupid or ignorant. As is usually the case with neurotypicals, image and status is more important than effective communication and the truth in general. Communication between neurotypicals is very limited in this way, and the fear of being seen as stupid prevents either party from verifying the content of the conversation. As such, most miscommunication goes undetected by at least one, if not all, neurotypicals that had engaged in such a conversation.
And to be fair, yes, this really is (although exaggerated) how most people look from here. (You'll also notice, reading this, that it's a nearly flawless point-by-point repetition of mick's claims about this forum...)
Save me / and when you see me strut / remind me of what left this outlaw torn
Thanks, from:
Demimonde (04-17-2009), erimir (04-17-2009), wildernesse (04-17-2009)

Page generated in 0.27750 seconds with 11 queries