View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Health Care Reform Dead

I don't trust Paul, but assuming G-C fails, I suspect he picked the right positioning for his own career - opposing ACA, opposing G-C because it's not right-wing enough, but sparing Kentucky from devastating cuts to its healthcare system, as a state that expanded Medicaid and has had one of the best performing ACA marketplaces.

But that's what he said last time and he flip-flopped into McConnell's lap for very little.

The proposal to let Alaska keep Obamacare might not even be constitutional.

If Murkowski wants to run again, the fact is that she got elected vs. a Republican as a write-in in 2010, and against a strong Libertarian challenge from the same guy in 2016. She's not as beholden to the crazy GOP base as a result (a significant portion of her votes in 2010 and 2016 came from Begich and/or Obama voters). And she did get cheering crowds after killing the bill the first time. And she's not up until 2022, when the political climate and players could be totally different. Would Trump and McConnell be around? Would they or others still be trying to punish her for stopping Obamacare repeal? And if Trump was still around, history suggests the GOP would still be losing seats as they did in 2006, and the Democrats did in 2014. Hell, she might have a better chance in that scenario by switching to the Democratic Party or becoming an independent - Begich only lost by 2% in 2014, and that was a bad year for Democrats.

Which is to say that the political incentives probably push more against voting for the bill.

Question then is more whether she actually likes it enough to vote for it anyway.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (09-24-2017), The Man (09-23-2017)

Page generated in 0.24936 seconds with 11 queries