View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 PM
YELLOW HAIR FAKE ANIMAL

Default Re: Art in a Miscellaneous World

I have only just discovered the Little Mersausage, and at the same time discovered that it's been vandalised.

As will be obvious immediately, it's a reinterpretation of the Little Mermaid statue in Denmark, except with a mer hot dog sausage, and instead of resting on a rock off the shoreline in Copenhagen it rested on a bun sculpture in a lake in ReykjavÝk.

Spoilerised to give you a moment to visualise it ...

Quote:
“Hafpulsan” ... takes its name from the combination of the Icelandic words for ‘mermaid’ (hafmeyja) and ‘hot dog’ (pulsa/pylsa)
Quote:
“It’s a hot dog that is sitting like a mermaid on a little bread roll out in the pond,” explained Steinunn. “It’s sitting tall and pleased with itself, but then it’s also a little mer-sausage in a pond, some kind of strange, handless creature that has no idea how powerful it is. It’s also a bit uncanny,” she continued.

Steinunn does, however, acknowledge some gender play in her sculpture. “It is both a mermaid, which is generally female, and also a penis, in that it’s pretty difficult to work with this sausage form without it turning into a penis. But I don’t think that’s a bad thing,” she said.
“Little Mersausage” Statue Raises Eyebrows in ReykjavÝk – Iceland Review

:dancebey:

:mersausage: :merpenis: Sadly, gone are the days when we could get new smilies.

But mere months later ...
Quote:
destroyed in a random act of violence following a week of political tumult in Iceland.
Reykjavik's Little Mer-Sausage destroyed and discarded | The Art Newspaper

:sadpenis:

Quote:
Steinunn Gunnlaugsdˇttir ... seems unconcerned about the damage to her work. "I’m fine with it for me it is just part of putting artwork into public space,” she says.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:       :eur:       :m&ms::m&ms::twix::twix: (rotated 180°):m&ms::m&ms:
Thanks, from:
Ensign Steve (04-24-2019), erimir (04-25-2019), fragment (04-25-2019), lisarea (04-25-2019), Sock Puppet (04-25-2019), SR71 (04-25-2019), Stormlight (04-26-2019), viscousmemories (04-28-2019)

Page generated in 0.24374 seconds with 11 queries