View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 12:31 AM
Projecting my phallogos with long, hard diction

Default Re: Bend Over, Facebook is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Indeed, I was trying to figure out why I quite like the old forum experience but hate facebook, besides just being old in internet years and one thing that dawned on me was forum topics. On FF I can ignore a thread or focus on thread, or more importantly ignore a thrad for now and then binge through it later. On facebook it's just this constantly forward crawl of disparate things. I've been convinced for awhile that facebook is purposefully designed to have shit comment threads, to be worse than old forums on finding, replying, linking etc, old comments. Old comments don't drive the feed forward, old comments allow you to hash things out instead of post, feel good about your hottake and then move on to engage in more metrics which produce data points to be sold.
They also promote posts to you based on how much "engagement" you have with it.

And the best form of engagement is getting you to post on it, repeatedly.

And what does that? Posts that make you angry or start arguments.

So they basically encourage you to argue with people. People who troll will get promoted to you. And they'll encourage you to troll other people (perhaps unintentionally).

It's like Facebook is throwing a wedding, and instead of sitting the cousins who hate each other at separate tables, it puts them together and laughs gleefully.
Thanks, from:
Ari (10-13-2018), But (10-13-2018), ceptimus (10-13-2018), Crumb (10-15-2018), JoeP (10-13-2018), Kamilah Hauptmann (10-13-2018), lisarea (10-13-2018), The Man (10-13-2018)

Page generated in 0.14127 seconds with 11 queries