View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Stoic Derelict

Default Re: Universal Renewable Energy: Suitable Substitute for Morning Sex?

In fact, we have...
Germany Finances Major Push Into Home Battery Storage for Solar : Greentech Media
Quote:
The German government has responded to the next big challenge in its energy transition -- storing the output from the solar boom it has created -- by doing exactly what it has successfully done to date: greasing the wheels of finance to bring down the cost of new technology.

Over the past five years, Germany has been largely responsible for priming an 80 percent fall in the price of solar modules. Now it is looking at bringing down the cost of the next piece in the puzzle of its energy transition: battery storage.
which combined with...
PV Cells and Reduced Cost | The Energy Collective
Quote:
The price of solar photovoltaic cells has dropped 99% in the past quarter century. So in an increasing number of markets around the country, solar is at or very close to grid parity.

Consider Colorado. The Denver Business Journal reported last month the results of months-long competitive bidding process:

Xcel Energy Inc. is proposing to triple the amount of utility-scale solar power on its grid in Colorado, and add another 450 megawatts of wind power….

If approved, the plan would cut Xcel’s carbon dioxide emissions by more than one-third compared to 2005 levels.
makes me feel optimistic for the future of alt energy, rather prescient as I firmly believed this (price reduction through economy of scale) would be the trend quite some time ago, and disappointed it had to be Germany to drive the process since the US couldn't be arsed. I now predict they will be opening some 1001 Funniest American Jokes thrads any time now. :lol:
Crumb (12-29-2013), Janet (01-03-2014), The Man (01-14-2014)

Page generated in 0.35504 seconds with 11 queries