View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM
puzzler

Default Re: Student Loan debt

When I studied for my degree back in the 80s, not only was my course fully paid for but I received a living allowance that was sufficient to pay for my lodging, food, books, transport and even drink for the three years that the course lasted. My parents didn't earn that much money, but they weren't exactly poor - it was the norm back then that everyone's tuition was paid by the government, and you also received some kind of living allowance unless your parents were quite rich.

I did some jobs during the summer holidays - but that was only because I wanted to earn extra money to travel and buy a better motorbike - many of my fellow students 'signed on' during the holidays and received further government hand-out money because they were 'available for work' but not actually working.

Back then there was a much smaller proportion of young people taking degrees. It seems now that many youngsters just fall into higher education - not because they really want to study - but because they don't stand much chance of finding a job and they don't know what else to do with their time.

Page generated in 0.11971 seconds with 11 queries