View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 12:34 AM
I said it, so I feel it, dick

Default Re: Fucking education! How does it work?

Quote:
they're already bored and cynical and seeing education as a series of dull, pointless, repetitive tasks.
Yep

Quote:
They were probably salvageable at some point, and maybe, if they took a few years off between high school and college, they could become salvageable again.
I was only going to take a year off, 24 years ago. But, yeah, many homeschoolers (especially those on the unschooling side) suggest a "deschooling" when removing kids from public or private schools. One month of nothing for every year of school. Many swear that this allows the kids to sort of reset their brain and remember that humans are hardwired to enjoy learning in general

The serious problem remains though that as long as employment and earning capability is tied to outrageously expensive degrees, at least some burned out and uninspired kids will buy degrees with their butts, by putting them in a university chair. They don't want to be at (boring pointless) school anymore, they want to be able to make a living some day. They will take out loans so their butts can rent that chair, and then hope they can get a job renting their butt in another chair out to pay it back. Then they buy stuff and maybe get married and have kids and have no notion that becoming educated is an active worthwhile pursuit, rather than passively being a butt in a chair, unless they come across discussions or books or that open their eyes or have time and energy to introspect a bit or come to the realization somehow, hopefully when they're young*.

It's so depressing I want to scream every time I think about it.

*That last sentence is semi-autobiographical, without the degree part

Last edited by LadyShea; 04-29-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Thanks, from:
Crumb (04-30-2012)

Page generated in 0.17478 seconds with 11 queries