Thread: Geek humor
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Solipsist

Default Re: Geek humor

So guys, don't try to parse HTML with regular expressions.

html - RegEx match open tags except XHTML self-contained tags - Stack Overflow

Quote:
You can't parse [X]HTML with regex. Because HTML can't be parsed by regex. Regex is not a tool that can be used to correctly parse HTML. As I have answered in HTML-and-regex questions here so many times before, the use of regex will not allow you to consume HTML. Regular expressions are a tool that is insufficiently sophisticated to understand the constructs employed by HTML. HTML is not a regular language and hence cannot be parsed by regular expressions. Regex queries are not equipped to break down HTML into its meaningful parts. so many times but it is not getting to me. Even enhanced irregular regular expressions as used by Perl are not up to the task of parsing HTML. You will never make me crack. HTML is a language of sufficient complexity that it cannot be parsed by regular expressions. Even Jon Skeet cannot parse HTML using regular expressions. Every time you attempt to parse HTML with regular expressions, the unholy child weeps the blood of virgins, and Russian hackers pwn your webapp. Parsing HTML with regex summons tainted souls into the realm of the living. HTML and regex go together like love, marriage, and ritual infanticide. The <center> cannot hold it is too late.

:roadrun:
Free thought! Please take one!

:unitedkingdom:   :southafrica:   :unitedkingdom::finland:   :finland:

Last edited by JoeP; 07-24-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Thanks, from:
lisarea (07-24-2017), slimshady2357 (07-25-2017), Stormlight (07-24-2017)

Page generated in 0.23657 seconds with 11 queries