View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 PM
ne plus ultraviolet

Default Re: Ultimate Cagefight MMXIX, Democratic Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Well, this certainly looks pretty corrupt. A lot of that money winds up going back to him as a result of publisher royalties. I can understand having some copies of books to sell at campaign events and the like - but $444K? That's a pretty ridiculous number.
Looked same day and next few days for any info on this story; all my searches found this discussed on... three blogs and two Twitter accounts. And :ff:. Doesn't mean it isn't worth following up on; may come back up as the season progresses and I'd be interested in what the campaign or Sanders has to say if anything regarding buying books in 2015.

:dem:

Senator Elizabeth Warren has been running hard and putting down substantial policy positions and pledges daily; even the media is asking itself why Warren isn't being given more attention and focus.
A Guide to Elizabeth Warren’s (Many) 2020 Policy Proposals
Do male candidates get more coverage than women? It’s complicated.

:dem:

Former Vice-President Joe Biden declared his candidacy today; he is the 20th candidate running currently. This is his third presidential run, and he has Obama's donor list.
Here's his policy positions in detail- it is worth the read.
There have been a raft of quickly resolved rumors regarding a McCain family endorsement (no) and Obama not endorsing (Biden asked him not to).
Actual endorsements here (I think the headline uses "wave" a little too gratuitously).
Quote:
Biden, a Pennsylvania native who represented Delaware in the Senate for 36 years, nabbed four endorsements from Democratic senators: Chris Coons of Delaware, Tom Carper of Delaware, Bob Casey of Pennsylvania and Doug Jones of Alabama. Coons won a special election to replace Biden in 2009 when he became vice president.
Also, this article discusses Biden's fundraising starting with state or corporate lobbyists- as opposed to federal lobbyists, from which almost all candidates have pledged to not accept donations. The article also says that O'Rourke, Harris, and Booker use the same loophole for fundraising. Biden additionally has GOP-focused donors:
Quote:
Daniel Hilferty, a member of the Biden host committee, is the chief executive officer of Independence Blue Cross. He is on the board of America’s Health Insurance Plans, the trade association working to defeat the progressive push for Medicare for All. In national politics, Hilftery has exclusively donated to Republicans this year, records show. The health insurance executive gave $5,000 to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., along with smaller donations to other congressional Republicans.

Page generated in 0.41700 seconds with 11 queries