View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Safety glasses off, motherfuckers

Default Re: Is it OK to punch a Nazi in the head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthinks View Post
Yes, if you want to legitimise their friends' violence against your friends.
I think it legitimizes them when people treat them like they're normal humans with valid opinions that merit some kind of civil debate rather than a solid punch in the head.

They don't care about legitimacy, and they thrive on people's natural impulses to be polite and to avoid confrontation. It normalizes and emboldens them.

They're violent no matter what, and all not punching them accomplishes is that it makes them comfortable. They don't understand much, but they do understand fear, and once they learn to fear being punched in the head every time they start to spout their Nazi shit, they will stop doing it in public.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. "Live and let live" is often a nice philosophy, but it breaks down with people who are not willing to let live. Nazis are, of course, a fundamental exception to this rule; their entire world view is based around not letting people they disagree with continue to live. There is no room for rational discourse here, and attempting to have such a discourse with them legitimises them in a way they don't deserve. Nazis don't respond to rational arguments; they respond to violence. So let them be subjected to violence.

I also am sceptical to the idea that being subjected to violence makes them more sympathetic. Their entire position is fundamentally based on violence. While in the overwhelming majority of cases I do not believe in the legitimacy of preemptive attacks, this is one case where I am willing to make an exception. I'm advocating for Nazis to be punched in the face, while they're advocating for Jews to be put into ovens, so both sides do it! Seriously, though, I am entirely okay with making Nazis afraid to show their faces in public. This is how it was in this country before Herr Gropenführer took office, and it should be the natural order of things. If restoring it means that a few, or even more than a few, Nazis have to be punched in the face (or in other delicate parts of their anatomy), that's a small price to pay.

In short, Make Racists Afraid Again.

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” -Adam Smith

last.fm · my music · Marathon Expanded Universe
Thanks, from:
Angakuk (01-24-2017), beyelzu (02-02-2017), chunksmediocrites (03-01-2020), Janet (01-25-2017), Sock Puppet (01-23-2017), SR71 (01-22-2017), Stormlight (01-22-2017), The Lone Ranger (01-22-2017), Watser? (01-22-2017)

Page generated in 0.35810 seconds with 11 queries