View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Clutchenheimer

Default Re: Anybody Watching the Convention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenM
For one thing, evidently he reads the Bible every day, which is a primary way Bible-believing Christians seek God's will.
How is this evident?

All that's evident is that he says he does; more accurately, that his handlers say he does. Since his actions and words bespeak an interest neither in scriptural themes, nor religion more broadly, nor reading in general -- he's on record as disliking reading, in fact -- there is no reason to think he reads anything every day.

Again I ask: Do you really think that Bush was reporting some preference for specific philosophical virtues of Jesus' actual words, over the philosophical views of other famous figures, when he said that Jesus was his favourite philosopher?

Quote:
The same article mentions that he has spent a lot of time talking to particular Christian ministers, which is another way Christians seek God's will.
Was he seeking God's will when he consulted with Bob Jones III, Christian minister who until recently banned interracial dating among the students at his university? If so, this is a strange notion of seeking, indistinguishable from what I would call indulging sick bigotry. If not, then it is unclear how merely spending time among Christian ministers, soi-disant and otherwise, amounts to seeking God's will.

In any case, this strikes me as trying to explain the obvious in terms of the less obvious. If you really do think that GW Bush is a well-intentioned and reflective man sincerely seeking to follow God's will in some non-pathological sense, then I do not believe that any investment of effort I'm willing or able to make here could convince you otherwise.

I recognize the possibility that I'm misjudging him, to be sure. But the probability strikes me as vanishingly small.

Page generated in 0.16410 seconds with 11 queries