View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 PM
A Very Gentle Bort

Default Re: Scathing review of Guy Fieri's restaurant in NYC

It's probably wrong of me to filter this by my terrible propensity to watch Kicken Nightmares (even the loathable American version), but really, that's all I got to gage effort, value, quality in restaurants besides my own "does it taste okay" ability.

Quote:
He went on to say, "The tone, the sarcasm, the question style." Fieri didn't think it was fair to visit the restaurant four times in two months. "That's tough times, especially this size of a restaurant."
It really shouldn't matter if the person visited once or a hundred times in any span of time. The quality of the food is the chief concern here. I do understand sometimes things just happen or go wonky in business. But really, if the overall impression out of four visits is that the food prep, presentation and flavor are mediocre at best then you've got a problem in that restaurant.

Quote:
Savannah noted that 56 reviews on Yelp give Guy's American Kitchen and Bar an average of 2.5 stars out of five, so it's not knocking people's socks off. "At two months? Not really expecting to," said Fieri. "I mean, we're trying to. We're trying as hard as we can to make it right, to do it right. ... Is it perfect right now? No. ... Let's see where we are in six months."
If you're happy with being average, which is your prerogative I guess, then you may as well change the name of all your establishments to Applebee's or TGIF because you don't want to stand out. Somehow you made a name for yourself and now you're just putting your name on crap and that's just plain lazy.

Quote:
And he said, "To me, it's impossible to come in and have a dining experience and have every single thing is wrong, unless you come in with a different agenda and you want to sensationalize something and you want to blow it out of the water. It's a great way to make a name for yourself — go after a celebrity chef that's not a New Yorker that's doing big concept in his second month. Great way to hit it," he said, punching his hand.
It is possible because it's happened to me several times. Granted these weren't big name super celebrity chef restaurants but it has happened. That it can happen in high dollar chain restaurants with big money names on the front is also possible. Did you or one of your minions investigate what may be going wrong in one of the premiere establishments with your name on it? Or are you relying on the high customer turnover in Times Square to not give a shit that they never come back? What's the lazy option here?

Quote:
And Fieri added, "I stand by my food. I stand by my team."
"Come on guys! You're standing by crap! You're better than this."

I get it, man. It hurts to get your peepee stuck in the dirt like that. But standing there and saying "I know you are but what am I?" isn't going to make your food any better.

For the record, I like Diners Drive Ins and Dives. Sometimes he finds a great place that does awesome work, but more often than not he finds the Dive that serves the sloppy comfort food that I love, and I'm okay with that.
Thanks, from:
curses (11-15-2012), Janet (11-15-2012), lisarea (11-16-2012), livius drusus (11-16-2012), Nullifidian (11-16-2012), Stephen Maturin (11-16-2012), The Man (11-15-2012), vremya (11-15-2012)

Page generated in 0.40201 seconds with 11 queries