View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Indecisive - or maybe not

Default Re: Anybody Watching the Convention?

[QUOTE=lisarea]Well, minutely analyzing Bush's words might be an exercise in futility, but recently he told a group of Amish, "I trust God speaks through me." Not "I hope..." or something that would imply that he is trying to listen to his conscience, but that he simply TRUSTS that that is the case. And while Bush isn't the one who publicly claimed that he was 'appointed by God,' he never denied it, and he's said a few things that would seem to imply he believes it, too.

Quote:
Personally, I have a hard time believing that he believes what he says he does. He had no qualms about executing massive numbers of prisoners (at least a few who were likely innocent) when he was Governor of Texas.
Lots of conservative Christians who believe what they say support the death penalty because it's prescribed in various places in the Bible.

Quote:
As I said, whether Bush really believes this stuff or not is pretty much irrelevant to me. I've never understood how it is that so many people who claim to be Christian seem to think that it's sufficient just to talk about it a lot, and treat it cafeteria-style, picking the parts of it that they feel like following or that make them feel better, and ignoring the rest. I'm fairly certain that, if I were a Christian, I'd be even angrier at Bush than I am now for exploiting my belief system and for not even trying to live by its teachings. But apparently, a lot of US Christians think that's just fine.
Exactly. So if you were a Christian you might not be angrier at him - you might be pleased that he is trying to live according to the Bible. Since lots of Christians do seem to feel that way.

Quote:
What does [Kerry being a theist] have to do with anything?
I don't know. You brought up Bush's belief in God so I was simply pointing out that Kerry believes in God too.

Helen

Page generated in 0.25267 seconds with 11 queries